Old 06-11-2004, 08:33 PM   #1
'67 Globe Trotter "Järv"

1967 20' Globetrotter
Glacier NP , Montana
Awning wanted for '67 Globe Trotter

I'm looking for a used awning or instructions on how to sew my own stake-out kind for a 1967 20' GT. Making my own doesn't look like it will be too difficult, but I'd like to hear how much fabric is needed to make it a worthwhile awning (how far it should extend from the rail) as well as what kind / where I can find the right fabric.

Old 06-11-2004, 09:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Hiya Slik,

I looked into this briefly myself and I'll tell you what I found:

You want an awning as wide as your rail and about 8 feet deep. That is the typical commercial size. Why not longer?

Sunbrella fabric is the fabric on Zipdees and readily available as just the fabric. Search for the Sunbrella people to find a source near you. They come in 48" and I believe 60" widths with a ton of colors and patterns.

Poles are easy to come by and the place I found them I believe was REI online. For the best support I recommend two up poles and one across the front. You can get the pole to run across the front with holes on either end to fit over the poles. This pole telescopes. For the GT it is probably 10 feet and the pole will fit across the whole way.

You want to fold over the fabric at the camper side with a rope or cord inside. This will slide into the rail. Put grommets in the outer corners for the poles to fit into, and that's the basics. Rope according to what you see others doing in their pictures.

Those are the basics I found. You'll probably need to adapt and engineer some of the details.

John

Old 06-11-2004, 10:03 PM   #3

1967 17' Caravel
Jackson , Wyoming
I just finished having an awning made for my '67 caravel that sounds like what you're after. I found a local canvas shop in the yellow pages and had them get the fabric and sew it up, but did the rest myself. You could probably have your shop just order the fabric.

The best fabric in terms of color/pattern options and u.v. resistance is "sunbrella." The other advantage of going to a canvas shop is that they have sample books of all the sunbrella fabrics to actually look at. They also have all the miscellaneous necessary hardware such as guy-rope tightening yokes, grommets for the stakes, welting for attachment at the rail, and rail itself if you need it (like I did.)

The awning itself can be as simple as a rectangle with hemmed edges, a welt sewn along the side that slides into the rail, and reinforced outer corners with gromets through them. The fabric comes in widths of 60". I'm guessing that you have a 10' long section of rail because I had 7' on my 17' trailer. This probably means that you need three widths of fabric to cover the entire available width of the rail by the time it's sewn up. I'm curious to hear what other people say about the depth dimension. I made mine a 7' square so that it didn't seem out of proportion, but 8' felt more useable.

For support, I found some great inexpensive telescoping aluminum tent poles on the Campmore catalog website . They have a pointy end that goes through the gromets at either outside corner. Then, you simply tie two ropes to each of the same corners, and stake them into the ground at right angles. I tied both ropes to a metal ring that I can just throw over the top of the pole. Consider the tightening yokes as mentioned above.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:29 AM   #4
'67 Globe Trotter "Järv"

1967 20' Globetrotter
Glacier NP , Montana
Red face Thanks for the advice

Thank you for the advice re: awnings. This sounds like something I could actually do! The hardest part may be choosing a color.