Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2004, 02:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Arrow Access Doors and Keys

My 1964 GlobeTrotter has lost its small access panel on the street side, and I have no keys at all except for the front door. Where can we get these panels?

AlanH
Old 06-10-2004, 02:40 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Access Doors and Keys

Greetings AlanH!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of '64 Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanH
My 1964 GlobeTrotter has lost its small access panel on the street side, and I have no keys at all except for the front door. Where can we get these panels?

AlanH
There are only two sources that I know of who might be able to assist in your quest for a replacement access panel/door. Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, Iowa recently moved from their long-time location on Univeristy Avenue to a new location at the edge of town - - they uncovered a number of vintage parts, and according to their website, some compartment doors were among them; see:

Ace Fogdall RV - - Parts

The second source would be Inland RV, they have listed reproductions of access doors from time-to-time so they just may have the one that you need. You can find their website at:

Inland RV Parts

Beyond these two possiblities, it would be a matter of contacting Airstream dealers who were around in '64, salvage yards, etc. to find an original from a salvaged coach. It would also be possible to have a door custom manufacture by an experienced crafstman in the aluminum trades.

Good luck in your access compartment door dilemma!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Old 06-10-2004, 05:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up If you need`

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanH
AlanH
If you need photos of the compartment doors for examples...To replicate one..let me know and, I'll take some close up photos for you..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 06-10-2004, 05:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
access door

If you order an access door from Inland make sure you ask alot of questions about fit. I ordered one for my 1967 and was not told that it does not set in and fit like the original. I just bought one off of ebay and would try Fogdalls as well. I've since found a nearby fabrication shop that can quickly build those "low tech" items for much less than I paid at Inland and they can make it to fit like the original. Yours may be different than mine though.

Old 06-11-2004, 08:21 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Thanks; Should the road side access door fit the same as the curb side door panel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Hut
If you order an access door from Inland make sure you ask alot of questions about fit. I ordered one for my 1967 and was not told that it does not set in and fit like the original. I just bought one off of ebay and would try Fogdalls as well. I've since found a nearby fabrication shop that can quickly build those "low tech" items for much less than I paid at Inland and they can make it to fit like the original. Yours may be different than mine though.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:23 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for your generous offer of pictures. I would like to see the proper fit of the small road side access panel, I can only asume the fit is the same for both sides of a 19'er.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
If you need photos of the compartment doors for examples...To replicate one..let me know and, I'll take some close up photos for you..
ciao
53FC
Old 06-12-2004, 11:29 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The edge extrusion for a 1967 access door, has not been available for many years.

Therefore a replacement door will be of a different "edge" design.

However, that has nothing to do with a "fit."

When photo's are displayed, showing what an item looks like, it becomes difficult to understand, why someone would expect to be told, "in detail" why it's different.

Of course, it's always the sellers fault, as usual, when they don't take the time to read someones mind, so that they can explain in infinite detail, every little detail, such as what kind of gasket, what size gasket, what color gasket, what kind of edges does the gasket have, what density gasket, who made the gasket, where did you get the gasket, how long will that gasket last, are you sure that the same gasket will be availble for years to come?

At that rate, we would need one customer service girl, per day, who would have to give up lunch, per customer. Statistically, we would have to enlarge the building to hold the 150 to 175 customer service girls, that such service and "detailed" information, would require.

But on the other hand, we could also take orders exclusively via FAX or e-mail, and that would eliminate the personal contact all together.

For the select few, we don't agree, and neither do our girls, that in spite of somethings, do a heck of a job.

Can't and never will, satisfy everyone.

No one else can, either.

It's difficult to take a kick in the pants, when you give it your "all," and even perfection is considered a weakness, by a select few.

The Staff