Old 08-14-2008, 09:20 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
Hey Vaughn,

Just went outside to plug the old girl in for the trip, and my AC turns on. Funny since my AC unit switch is OFF. I did get the fans to shut off by rotating the circular switch to off, but not without it being a PITA. The knob is stripped, and I have to use pliers. Is there a reason the on/off switch isn't working like it should?

Steve
Hi Steve,

I assume that the AC unit switch you are referring to is the toggle under the cabinets in the galley that lets you choose between the AC and the microwave? It sounds like that switch has gone bad. It should be available at an ordinary hardware store.

I would unplug the old girl, remove the switch, and take it with me to the store to be sure I got the right one.

Have fun on the trip! Regards to the clan.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:19 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Vaughn,

No such switch exists in my trailer. I wonder perhaps if this switch is to turn the heat strip on and off.

Steve

Old 08-14-2008, 11:44 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Steve,

The on/off rocker switch on a Carrier AirV controls whether the air sweeps up and down, not the entire unit. The circular switch controls everything else, including the heat pump. I'll see if I can dig up a pdf of the owner's manual for you. That should help.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:02 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Owner's Manual

Hi Steve,

Here is the owner's manual for my heat pump model. The controls are the same for the heat strip ones.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AirV Non Ducted Owner's Manual.pdf (1.25 MB, 122 views)
Old 08-14-2008, 12:17 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Awesome Vaughn...thanks a bunch.

Steve
Old 07-06-2009, 10:02 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Great pics!

Vaughn, Great Post man!

The pictures really help. Make it better than my verbal descriptions!

For you guys with the 34 footers having trouble on one 15,000 btu a/c....paint the roof highly reflective white. It sounds trivial, but it really really helps.

I've not had mine in 101 degree heat yet, but in 92 degree heat I can get her down to about 65 or so.

The silver really sucks up a lot of heat. Going white helps cut the heat gain. it might be enough for you to get by with one a/c instead of two. Even if not, it'll still help with the heat gain.

I've been very pleased with the results after I did it. Just make sure you follow proper procedures for painting aluminum...aka you must etch it. Go to Aircraft Spruce and Specialty's website and you'll find what you need.

The only other thing I've been toying with is covering the whole roof with solar panels. I figure with a 34 footer, I should be able to get about 600 watts of solar power on there

see ya on the road!
Old 08-22-2010, 09:57 AM   #49

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
Hello Everyone! In your adventure of installing that new Carrier Air V did you install a drain pan and attach to the drain hose? If so, and I'll bet you did, do you have photos? My 34' doesn't appear to have drain pans and so the excess condensation comes raining down into the trailer when the unit shuts off.... any helpful advice on how to get a drain pan?
Old 08-22-2010, 10:50 AM   #50
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENovaters View Post
Hello Everyone! In your adventure of installing that new Carrier Air V did you install a drain pan and attach to the drain hose? If so, and I'll bet you did, do you have photos? My 34' doesn't appear to have drain pans and so the excess condensation comes raining down into the trailer when the unit shuts off.... any helpful advice on how to get a drain pan?
There never was a drain pan for the Carriers AC's, as almost always the water never becomes excessive for the slinger to handle.

Andy
Old 08-22-2010, 12:18 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Andy's right about the Carrier not having a drain pan. Most of the time the slinger takes care of the condensation. Sometimes here in Arkansas the humidity gets high enough that some condensate runs down the side, but not much.

Buying new now, I would go with another brand, but not because of the slinger vs the drain (although I would like a drain) but because Carrier has exited the RV market.

Otherwise I am pleased, though I do need to paint the top white.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:10 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
If you read the Carrier instructions/parts info you will see that they offer a drain line adapter to be installed if the slinger is overwhelmed. It is a plastic (I don't like plastic) elbow fitting that the instructions tell you where to install. Then hook up a standard drain line to the belly. My Carrier could not sling off enough of this Texas humidity so I had a water flow over the polished sides. UNACCEPTABLE! PPL guys in Houston pointed out the fitting, gave instructions, etc. It solved the problem.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:24 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
If you read the Carrier instructions/parts info you will see that they offer a drain line adapter to be installed if the slinger is overwhelmed. It is a plastic (I don't like plastic) elbow fitting that the instructions tell you where to install. Then hook up a standard drain line to the belly. My Carrier could not sling off enough of this Texas humidity so I had a water flow over the polished sides. UNACCEPTABLE! PPL guys in Houston pointed out the fitting, gave instructions, etc. It solved the problem.
I was aware that there was a fitting for the low profile Carrier units, but was under the impression that there was none for the high (standard) profile units. Is your a high profile Carrier?

Not that my Excella is polished by any means. Perhaps if I win the lottery I will replace the front cap panels and polish, but not till then.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:34 PM   #54

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
Exclamation Carrier AC drain pan instructions / kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
I bought my trailer with the current AC unit which did not have any documentation included. So, any advice as to where I may purchase this drain line adapter... I dread trying to call a general 800 number and work my way to parts of something like it. Any RV dealers carry this? Thankful for all info regarding this!
Old 08-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENovaters View Post
I bought my trailer with the current AC unit which did not have any documentation included. So, any advice as to where I may purchase this drain line adapter... I dread trying to call a general 800 number and work my way to parts of something like it. Any RV dealers carry this? Thankful for all info regarding this!
After several calls I connected with Kevin Miller at Carrier. (800) 673-2431, Ex. 350. If he is still there, Kevin was very helpful.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:44 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Oh yeah....I was talking about a low profile Carrier. Don't really know about the others. Sorry.