Old 04-05-2008, 09:39 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Keep us posted on how that carrier works this summer. I swapped in a 15kbtu dometic heat pump and was less than impressed when it was really put to the test last summer. I installed a two phase 12k window unit by Friedrich in my house and I have the sneaking suspician that not all BTU ratings are created equal after experiencing the output of my home unit compared to my higher rated RV unit.

The Friedrich can turn half the house into a meat locker if desired.

Thus, the point is to know how your 15k Carrier does.
Looks like a great install that you did.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Thanks. I put white vinyl panel trim from Home Depot over the lower unit to reduce the gap in the center today. It’s not a perfect flush fit, but improves the look quite a bit. I am curious myself about how well it is going to perform in the summer. We did have a couple of nights in the low 40 and the heat pump performed well. I will put up summer performance when it gets here.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:57 PM   #17
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I installed a 15K CarrierV w/ heat strip (this is not a heat pump) on our friend's SOB 27' motor home. On a 90+ degree day it was able to cool the interior to 75 in about an hour and a half.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Thanks Terry,

Glad to hear it. As you can see from the photographs, there is no shade at any time here. 100+ days will be interesting.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:15 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Vaughan,

Looks like you need to raise that scaffolding up and add some tarps or shading tarps.

Steve
Old 04-06-2008, 07:18 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Steve,

I am considering an RV carport. Glad you are all back home safely. Sorry I couldn’t make Branson.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:26 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
Hi Steve,

I am considering an RV carport. Glad you are all back home safely. Sorry I couldn’t make Branson.
Let me know anything you find out about that carport Vaughan. We are seriously considering an RV port to lower our cost of living, and to protect our airstream from rain/uv.

Steve
Old 04-06-2008, 08:12 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Wil do, Steve
Old 04-06-2008, 08:32 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
I will point out that the heating part of the dometic heat pump functionality has been very good. We use it anytime we camp in a park in the cooler times of year and unless the temp is down in the 30's outside, it heats the tlr up just fine.

I'll need to make a mental note to come back and bug you at the end of July to see how things are going. I would think that an RV port would be an amazing difference as it would get that solar loading off the skin, that there is about 90% of our problem.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:15 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by elolson
I will point out that the heating part of the dometic heat pump functionality has been very good. We use it anytime we camp in a park in the cooler times of year and unless the temp is down in the 30's outside, it heats the tlr up just fine.

I'll need to make a mental note to come back and bug you at the end of July to see how things are going. I would think that an RV port would be an amazing difference as it would get that solar loading off the skin, that there is about 90% of our problem.
Please do if I’m remiss in updating. Around hear, the hottest time is also likely to be in August.

Ah, the dream RV port. I think it should be 20’ by 40’ for generous overhang with the Airstream on the north side. Sitting on a slab or, perhaps, pavers. Screened for enjoying those southern evenings spent in a nice set of patio furniture. In an ideal would, it would have doors in the screen for drive through convenience.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:54 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Thumbs up Another Installation Item, Problem Solved

The Carrier AirV Freeblow bottom units use a push-pull latch, like the one on my Excella’s medicine cabinet, to hold the vents closed. Mine was missing one. I have attached photos so you will know what I am talking about. It is listed as “NO 81—LATCH, PUSH” on the parts diagram.

I sent an email to both email addresses on the Carrier AirV site, because it was unclear which was really support. This was on March 30th. I remembered it last week and sent email again to both email addresses asking if they had any response after a month and a half. This, for me anyway, seemed to confirm Lew’s and others experience with non-response from Carrier.

Then I remembered another member’s post about getting a drain adapter for his low profile model. I called that number last Wednesday and was quickly transferred to tech support where Kevin Miller immediately answered the phone. I couldn’t ask for better service. After talking with Kevin, it came to light that the parts diagram tech support has different numbers for the parts than the one in the owner’s manual, another advantage to having an actual conversation with a real person. He apologized for the email, and stated that it is always best to call tech support rather than email. He even gave me a toll free number for tech support, (800) 673-2431, and his extension, 350. Two arrived today via DHL. My kudos to Kevin. My advice if anyone has Carrier issues is to call tech support rather than email.

The replies to my any response email? One. Friday, someone from the wrong email address replied and said that the address in York, PA should be the correct one. Never heard from the correct email address.

In the future, call the 1-(800) number.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Latch1_DSC00419sm.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	58757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Latch2_DSC00421sm.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	58758  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Missing2_DSC00425sm.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	58759  
Old 04-21-2008, 09:09 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Hey Vaughn,

Were the screws you received with your AC unit to hold the interior ceiling control panel actually long enough to go into the bracket frame? When Brad and I reinstalled my AC unit after some repairs, and the machine screws were not long enough to go into the frame. Perhaps they fit when I got it because the gasket had been cinched down ultra tight.

Anyhow...what did you use if not the tiny ones it came with.

Steve
Old 04-21-2008, 09:31 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Screwed Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
Hey Vaughn,

Were the screws you received with your AC unit to hold the interior ceiling control panel actually long enough to go into the bracket frame? When Brad and I reinstalled my AC unit after some repairs, and the machine screws were not long enough to go into the frame. Perhaps they fit when I got it because the gasket had been cinched down ultra tight.

Anyhow...what did you use if not the tiny ones it came with.

Steve
Hi Steve,

I don’t even know where the screws that came with it are. I bought a bunch of 3/8” and 3/4” Stainless Steel pan head Phillips sheet metal screws that I use for everything. The 3/4” ones are just barely long enough.

In fact, the extra “NO 81—LATCH, PUSH” is now stored in the box of 3/4” screws so I can find it in the future. I got 100 3/4” and 300 3/8” from Bolt Depot - Nuts and Bolts, Screws and Fasteners online. I figure I am good to go from now on for both trailers.

On another topic, the 6mm cork underlayer came in today. I will be taking the old dinette out of the Excella and ripping up the carpet soon. I will be keeping everyone posted on the latest remodel.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:42 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
3/8" sounds a little short, but there is plenty of room to go past that. Any idea of the correct diameter I need?

Once I get that taken care of I move on to several other issues.

1. One of the knobs keeps falling off the AC unit from being stripped, and needs to be glued.

2. Need to add some trim around the AC interior to cover the gap.

3. Need to clean out belly pan under the black tank from a small seepage (How to do this without removing belly pan beats me).

4. Cutting out wood flooring in bath and gluing down vinyl if I can get more of it.

And now that I have officially hijacked your thread, I bid you adieu.