Old 06-28-2015, 06:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1970 31' Sovereign
Burnsville , North Carolina
Yellow Jacket nest in Furnace!

While I was away, the Yellow Jackets did play and built a nest in my furnace. They are entering from either or both the furnace air intake or exhaust pipes on the outside. Does any one have a recommendation for getting rid of these guys without damaging the furnace? What if I turned the furnace on high and ran like heck? Thanks in advance for any help you might have.

CeloNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Is their nest in the combustion chamber or are they somewhere around the heater? I would be afraid I would get nest material blowing out the exhaust on fire if I fired it up. I would spray them and then do a thorough inspection and clean them out. Better safe than sorry?

After that the bug screens are in order to keep this from occurring again. I had some issues with mud daubers and the screens cured that.

"If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you never tried before!"

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
2017 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:29 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
1970 31' Sovereign
Burnsville , North Carolina
Good thought Alan. I suspect that I will have to pull the furnace after I kill them to get that material out, whether I heat it up or use a spray. I will have to take a closer look at the nest tomorrow to see if they are going in both the air intake for combustion as well as the furnace exhaust. That might determine my plan of attack. Bill
CeloNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:23 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member
1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
Use a shop vac to suck them out then spray in vac while running to kill them. Also they will not normally fly at night.
thehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Vacuum well and consider screen covers for the access areas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	241836  
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master
2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
After you kill them with wasp spray a hooked wire would be easier than taking apart, when shop vac doen't fit I start adding smaller diameter rubber hose.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I also hang a dog flea collar in all open areas that might house a wasp nest, spiders, ants, etc and never have had any more problems with flying critters. I replace them every year and also hang one under the propane cover.
2008 F-250 4X4 Lariat V-10
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:36 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member
1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Burn 'em out. Set thermostat to 90+ degrees (max setting). Turn on the furnace. Run like hell.

Then get a yellow jacket screen from Camping World. They also have yellow jacket traps.

TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:00 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
do whatever you do at night. Bees also can't see red, so use a red flashlight (or get someone you don't like to hold the flashlight).

At night, bees tend to crawl more than fly, but they will go after a bright light. Turning on the furnace at night may be best.

Shopvac also works. Usually they hit the inside hard enough to keep them. You can also stuff a shop towel in the end when you're done.

Rob - 15 year beekeeper.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:10 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member
1970 27' Overlander
Asheville , North Carolina
Yellow jackets must have some place in the ecology of our world, but in my opinion they're the worst kind of stinging insect -- irritable, vicious, aggressive and they can sting you multiple times. I'm a beekeeper, too, but I have no love for yellow jackets.

Of course, yellow jackets are not bees but a variety of wasp. There are several different species of yellow jackets. Imagine in Alabama you have the Eastern Yellow Jacket.

Not as common for them to build above ground rather than in the ground, but it does happen. Last year I had some in the wall of my house, sprayed them many times, and it did no good. Couldn't vacuum them out either because they were entering at several points in the exterior cedar shakes and their nest was probably not even near the entrances. Eventually some of them started coming into the house through the electrical outlets, which creeped me out.

The only way I got rid of them was to have the Terminix guy, on his regular pest service rounds, to put some kind of powder in their access holes. Don't know what chemical it was that Terminix uses, but the yellow jackets tracked the powder back into their nest(s) and within a day they were dead. My Terminix guy said this treatment rarely fails to work.

Just remember that yellow jacket nests can be quite extensive. When they build in the ground, the nest system may run several feet or even several yards, though there's usually a big main area. Often a large nest -- at their peak it can number 5,000 to 10,000 -- will have several entrance holes. If yours have had time to build up a big colony, they could be in several places besides in or around the furnace.

The standard way around here to get rid of them is to pour gas into the entrance holes at dusk -- you don't light it, but the petroleum fumes get'em over night. Of course that doesn't work in an Airstream or in the wall of a building.
--Lan Sluder
Asheville, NC & Belize, Central America
1970 Overlander 27'
LanSluder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:35 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member
1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
don't see many yellow jackets here , mostly mud daubers and paper wasps .
spray in holes first , wait a few minutes and open cover ( carefully ) if in open housing no big deal . if in burner chamber run furnace for 5 minutes ( all dead ) I like the smell of the little beggers burning , been stung lots !
I'd wait for fall to service furnace as may move back in when you leave and you'd just have to do over in fall .
crestonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:10 PM   #12

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I have put a dog's flee collar in that compartment and so far that has kept all the critters out of those outside compartments. Can't say that it would work specifically for bees but certainly a cheap idea to try.
graysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:33 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member
1999 30' Excella 1000
Brookeville , Maryland
Bee careful when using wasp spray. Some sprays are flammable. Let it dry or evaporate before using furnace. The wasp going in the nest will not bother you. It's the ones coming out, that will sting the heck out of you.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:46 PM   #14
Rivet Master
1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
X2 on the dog flea tick collar any where you don't want the critters.

garry is offline   Reply With Quote