Old 06-11-2007, 12:16 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Working on the roof

First, I'm a bean counter and tools are foreign to me. In rare instances my wife will let me use one of hers, as long as she is there to oversee and opine.

That said, we have just returned from a typical hot/humid weekend in the Houston area. While there we learned that our primary a/c's fan wasn't working. From past experience I'm thinking that a mud dauber has set up homekeeping. I need to get up on the roof to remove the shroud to remove the obstruction.

I need advice on how to get up there, and back down again, without breaking a leg or dropping into the kitchen area. The a/c is mid-ships. We have a ladder that we can lean on the trailer, but where?

Any suggestions will be welcomed.

______Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:28 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Fayetteville , Georgia
Put foam pads,blanket or pillow on the ladder,lean her against the trailer.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
I always lean my ladder against the rolled up awning.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:47 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Thanks guys. That's what I'm going to do. The DW will supervise, of course. I appreciate the advice.

_______Tom

Old 06-11-2007, 01:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
And the roof will support you. Wear tennis shoes to keep from slipping.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
I have to watch where I step; I am not a light-weight You can kinda tell where the roof supports are by looking at the rivet pattern.

Kistler
Old 06-11-2007, 01:46 PM   #7
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Make sure that your weight is on one of the ribs...line of rivets. Between the ribs will probably support your weight, but it's always best to be on the safe side.

I'm on the mechanically disinclined side as you but still have to tackle a job or two from time to time. Good luck.

BTW, the fact that you know what a magnaflow is makes you one up on me...wasn't Helwig the name of Harry Potter's owl?
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:29 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Make sure that your weight is on one of the ribs...line of rivets. Between the ribs will probably support your weight, but it's always best to be on the safe side.

I'm on the mechanically disinclined side as you but still have to tackle a job or two from time to time. Good luck.

BTW, the fact that you know what a magnaflow is makes you one up on me...wasn't Helwig the name of Harry Potter's owl?
I was aware of placing weight on the ribs. My concern is getting up there, and then back down again. My wife will be a widow maker if I injure her Airstream.

The magnaflow is an exhaust system. I love my Excursion, but I added some mods for towing peace of mind. My Helwig helps the Excursion ride more like your F250 than an SUV.

_______Tom

Old 06-12-2007, 09:52 AM   #9
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I figure if you are into modifying your exhaust and suspension to tweak your towing experience then you are certainly aware enough of things like keeping your weight on the ribs. That's about as far as I go on maintenance issues.

I wouldn't know where to start trying to improve my ride. In fact, my trailer is a front bedroom model and we are getting a new mattress to improve that...no, no, I'd better not say that ...to improve our night's sleep . I know the inner spring mattress will probably be heavier than the foam mattress that Airstream put in the master cabin so when I take the trailer in to have the bearings greased, I will have the shop tweak my hitch set up to compensate for the extra tongue weight. We discussed some minor adjustments before and it seemed to me that my thoughts were counter intuitive to the actual adjustments that were needed.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 06-12-2007, 12:12 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Tweaking

Quote:
I figure if you are into modifying your exhaust and suspension to tweak your towing experience then you are certainly aware enough of things like keeping your weight on the ribs. That's about as far as I go on maintenance issues.

I wouldn't know where to start trying to improve my ride.
My previous TV was an '02 F250 PSD, and it pulled the 34' without a problem. Before I got the Excursion, I read a lot and knew that it didn't have a rear stabilizer/anti-sway bar that the F250 had. I really didn't have a clue as to how it would tow almost 10k pounds, even though it was rated to tow more. We took it out on a short trip that was on a state highway with a lot of curves and hills. The ride was mushy, and the AS seemed to push the TV through some curves. The next week I did my tweaking. The exhaust gave me more torque. The anti-sway bar and air springs took care of the rest.

I think of it like I do golf. If I have a good set of clubs, and I have a bad round I know it's the user and not the equipment.

I don't think you could improve on the ride that your F250 is giving you now. I know the '07 F250's didn't come with the rear anti-sway bar because a friend of mine has one. He tows a 30' AS and said he noticed a small difference in towing than he had in his old '97 F250. It probably isn't an issue with yours.

________Tom

Old 06-12-2007, 12:27 PM   #11
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
The real issue for me is the seats. Prior to this truck I had a '95 F-150 extended cab and the seats were so comfortable. It had a 40-20-40 front seat. My wife bought a '99 Expedition and always said the captain's chairs weren't as comfortable as my '95's. She now has an '07 Expedition and says that the old F-150 still had more comfortable seats than her 10-way, heated/air conditioned leather captains chairs in her current Expedition. I have considered buying a pair of aftermarket seats to replace the ones in my F-250, but you know it's kind of hard to replace the almost brand new set of leather, power captain's chairs that came with the truck.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 06-12-2007, 12:51 PM   #12
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
The real issue for me is the seats. Prior to this truck I had a '95 F-150 extended cab and the seats were so comfortable. It had a 40-20-40 front seat. My wife bought a '99 Expedition and always said the captain's chairs weren't as comfortable as my '95's. She now has an '07 Expedition and says that the old F-150 still had more comfortable seats than her 10-way, heated/air conditioned leather captains chairs in her current Expedition. I have considered buying a pair of aftermarket seats to replace the ones in my F-250, but you know it's kind of hard to replace the almost brand new set of leather, power captain's chairs that came with the truck.
As far as the seats, I have found the cloth seats to be much more comfortable than the leather ones. They are softer, more plush, and don't burn the back of my legs when it has been sitting in the sun all day. The leather does last longer, and you don't have to worry so much about stains, but I have been anit-leather ever since I got skewered by a spring in a cracked leather seat way back in the '70's. Try test driving a similar truck with cloth seats and see if you notice a softer feeling ride.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:57 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Our leather seats are firm as well. My wife has a bad back, so if she isn't comfortable we don't buy it. At one time we looked at the GMC 2500 something or other. The seats were much softer, but my wife said they weren't comfortable - no sale.

I did get some sheepsking covers, and they are never hot when you get in after sitting in the sun all day. They seem to keep you cool/warm, and I can't explain it. The seat heaters don't heat through them, but they're comfortable enough that I don't mind.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:50 AM   #14
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
My wife's new Expedition's front seats are the ventilated leather (they have little dimple like holes) and are both heated and air conditioned. The air conditioned part really works well when the SUV has been sitting in the sun. The lady that cuts our hair told me (when my wife wasn't around) that I would really appreciate the air conditioned seats when my wife goes through menopause.

WBCCI# 4821