Old 09-02-2017, 07:44 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
wiring a new second AC

I want to replace the rear Fantastic Fan in my 34 footer with a small second generator. I will add an Easy Start to both AC s so I can still run on 30 amps. I am looking for suggestions for wiring and a small roof mounted AC. My 30 amp AC panel has one main and 3 20 amp circuits. Thanks.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:53 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Unless your existing breaker panel has blanks for adding a new breaker, you're pretty much limited to two options: (1) a separate breaker panel just for the second A/C, or replace the existing panel with a larger panel that has room for more breakers.

But even with Easy-Start, I'm not sure you would be able to run two A/Cs at the same time off one 30amp connection, especially if you are using any other appliances or devices at the same time. Easy-start only reduces initial start-up draw, not the draw when the A/C is already running.

I have known people who added a second A/C, with a separate breaker box, and ran a separate 20amp cord from the trailer to a 20amp outlet on the service pedestal. If they stopped at a campground that didn't have 30amp and 20amp receptacles side-by-side they just used one A/C. If the 20amp receptacles were present, they ran the second cord and used both A/Cs at once.

You can get a 20amp power inlet (pictured) to mount on your trailer next to your 30amp inlet, or a 15amp power inlet (not pictured) if your second A/C can use that:

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

But even with Easy-Start, I'm not sure you would be able to run two A/Cs at the same time off one 30amp connection, especially if you are using any other appliances or devices at the same time. Easy-start only reduces initial start-up draw, not the draw when the A/C is already running.
Not saying what is correct. That is why I posted this. Agreed on other big draw appliances. My 34 has a switch for using either the AC or the microwave. I welcome all opinions. But, I received this reply on a concurrent post:

'Yes, if you install an EasyStart on both A/C units, you will be able to start and run them on 30A utility service or on both of your Honda EU2000i generators in parallel. Or, you can run either A/C by itself on a single Honda EU2000i. The reason you need an EasyStart in both A/Cs for the 30A utility support is because you cannot always control which A/C will be commanded to start and run by the thermostat while the opposite A/C is already running."

FYI/ i have not yet decided on a 2nd AC, just an option I am considering. What I have decided I will do anyway is paint the roof with white Bus Kote or a similar paint. I did this on my Tradewind and it definitely did help. I found with my rear ceiling vent fan exhausting the AC cooling of the rear bedroom was more efficient. I live in NM and have learned the hard way. I am open to any out of the box ideas.

No my 110 panel does not have room for another breaker.
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
smallest roof top AC

Does anyone make a rooftop AC smaller than 13.5K BTU?
Old 09-02-2017, 12:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
If a power pedestal has a 30 amp outlet and a 20 amp outlet, don't assume you have 50 amps available. I'd bet the pedestal has one service going to it, and just separate breakers for the 30 amp and 20 amp outlets.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:38 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Does anyone make a rooftop AC smaller than 13.5K BTU?
Google is your friend: http://www.adventurerv.net/coleman-p...oner-p-76.html

I don't even have my AS yet but living down the road from you in Tucson I know I am going to need 2 units. I really like the idea of using the Marinco power inlet for the second unit so it can be used when needed with no electrical modifications needed to the original breaker box in the AS. The power inlet can be directly wired to the second AC unit with overcurrent protection provided at the source.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
I to have seen 2 AC units split like this on both TT and one even on a 50 amp motor home. On the MH he ran one off shore power the other off is built in Onan gen if he had only 30 amp shore power he still had 2 AC. then if he had 50 amp shore power he could switch it off his gen to his 50 amp service.
Where I am now when it get's over a 100+ my one 30 amp AC will sometimes trip the CB.

Quote:
Unless your existing breaker panel has blanks for adding a new breaker, you're pretty much limited to two options: (1) a separate breaker panel just for the second A/C, or replace the existing panel with a larger panel that has room for more breakers.

I have known people who added a second A/C, with a separate breaker box, and ran a separate 20amp cord from the trailer to a 20amp outlet on the service pedestal. If they stopped at a campground that didn't have 30amp and 20amp receptacles side-by-side they just used one A/C. If the 20amp receptacles were present, they ran the second cord and used both A/Cs at once.

You can get a 20amp power inlet (pictured) to mount on your trailer next to your 30amp inlet, or a 15amp power inlet (not pictured) if your second A/C can use that:
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Anybody out there in Airstreamland ever use a portable AC floor model? I would be using it in the rear bedroom and could easily and inconspicuously exhaust it under the bed and out the rear compartment door. I'm thinking this would also allow me to have the a variable speed in/out ceiling fan. There are several brands and they seem to draw 9-10 amps for 5000- 10,000 BTU. Also a lot cheaper and easy install. When not needed they could be stored. Just thinking.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:53 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Marin , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmini View Post
Where I am now when it get's over a 100+ my one 30 amp AC will sometimes trip the CB.
I wonder how common this is?

We're in the Bay Area where it's been 100F+ the last few days and we tripled our 30 amp breaker with a single 15k BTU AC. We weren't doing anything special, no micro, no elec hot water, just normal stuff like TV.
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:55 PM   #10
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
You probably have a tripped a million times before you worn out breaker!
The more they get tripped, the more the will trip!
Old 09-02-2017, 06:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
But even with Easy-Start, I'm not sure you would be able to run two A/Cs at the same time off one 30amp connection]
It does work.

True, you can only run the ACs.

Running one AC with EasyStart with a Honda 2000 I have to turn off everything, including the converter. But that is very manageable, and worth the effort to run AC on a 2000.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:13 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasams View Post
I wonder how common this is?

We're in the Bay Area where it's been 100F+ the last few days and we tripled our 30 amp breaker with a single 15k BTU AC. We weren't doing anything special, no micro, no elec hot water, just normal stuff like TV.
Restricted air flow will increase amp draw.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:20 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Anybody out there in Airstreamland ever use a portable AC floor model? I would be using it in the rear bedroom and could easily and inconspicuously exhaust it under the bed and out the rear compartment door. I'm thinking this would also allow me to have the a variable speed in/out ceiling fan. There are several brands and they seem to draw 9-10 amps for 5000- 10,000 BTU. Also a lot cheaper and easy install. When not needed they could be stored. Just thinking.
Those units use interior room air to cool the condenser then pump it outside thru the tube. the problem with this is it creates a negative pressure inside the room for which make up air is needed. Not sure how this would work in a small place like a trailer, you'd be sucking in a lot of make up air from outside.

Here's what consumer reports has to say about them:

https://www.consumerreports.org/port...ot-of-hot-air/
Old 09-02-2017, 08:23 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Tucson , AZ
This looks interesting, saw some poor reviews on a SOB site but they were using one as the sole cooling means. Might do OK as supplemental and I read somewhere they make a bigger unit too.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ClimateRi...&wl13=&veh=sem