Old 03-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1973 29' Ambassador
1985 25' Sovereign
Franklin , North Carolina
Winter Surprise

Opened up the AS this morning to start getting ready for spring camping season and found my new hardwood floor that I had put in last spring has a big ole wet spot right under the AC. So far I have pulled the AC off the roof and found a very sloppy sealant job and trying ot clean up that mess. This is my first time doing something of this nature so I need some pointers.

This is what I see so far.
  1. The unit had a good seal around the hole in the roof where the air comes into the AS. I need the re-enforce HAD. It will need a new one. Where can I pick one up?
  2. It appears the AC unit has 2 componets. A tray the unit sets on and the actual AC unit. The tray was sealed all the way around the AC unit. Should it be? It doesnt appear to me that if water comes into the unit between the condensor and fan it has a way to escape.
I dont know what model AC unit is on the AS but could get it if needed. The AS is an 85 model 25' with the center bath if that means anything. The unit has a drain hose and I have not checked to see if its free from debris yet. Hind site tells me I probably should have done that first.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance - Bob

rc707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The drain hose may well be the culprit. You can snake it with an old speedometer cable or something or blow air or water through it.

If you need a new gasket, they are available from many sources and are inexpensive. Here's one:

RV Roof Air Conditioner Gasket Kit

Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:32 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member
1973 29' Ambassador
1985 25' Sovereign
Franklin , North Carolina
I called the guys at Out of Doors Mart and have the needed supplies on the way. Come to find out the pan I refered to is no longer available (Coleman mach II). 2 options, 1) new AC (not practical, the one I have works fine) 2) add AC back to unit without pan and let condensation run down the side of the unit. Cheaper, but again not pratical, I think its an eyesore. So, I am going to do everything I can save the pan. I also agree it could be the drain hose.

Question: Ive done some research and have found this is a common problem. Is there an easy fix to keep the hose from plugging up in the future? I though about placing a screen over the resevior in the pan between the AC and the pan (not on the hose, I would place it flat across the top to keep debris from entering the trap and allow the water to flow), then placing another piece over the bottom end to prevent blockage there as well from insects. Thoughts?
rc707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
The screen idea will actually backfire. It will clog quicker than the open drain tube. Twice a year I blow out the tube from below with compressed air. The humidity here in SE Tennessee promotes the growth of mold so I also dump some bleach water down the tube after blowing them out. The smell of bleach keeps the bugs away.You might be able to save the drain pan with some J B Weld.
"Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." Mark Twain

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote

air conditioning