Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2006, 07:57 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
longwood , Florida
Thumbs up Final Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy_hollow

One idea I had considered, but put it on hold due to other more important work issues, was to convert a 10K BTU (or less) 110 house window unit to an outside portable unit and duct the intake and return through insulated hoses, the type typically used in high volume, low pressue home systems either the 2" or 4" insulated ones.

The idea was to take the front cover off and re-create it with two ducted front ends. The both would be tappered. I'm sure there would have to be some other cover on the front to make it weather tight, but the rest of the housing could be left as is. The other step would be to add feet to elevate it off the ground.

The hoses would be fitted to the AC and trailer with the same type of connectors used for an RV septic system.

The idea would be cool to try, but I'm just to busy at work to tinker with it.

What do others think?

Doug
Good idea, but still cumbersom. Just got done with a full day of testing an 8k btu test. Everything works very well and only used 850 watts. I also ran it with my Honda 2kw inverter generator. Works very well and even works on energy miser. Handled the compressor starts no problem.
Final results:
Small Quiet inside ducted or unducted air handler
850 watts on full high
Runs on Honda 2000I
About $250 in parts
Labor (this is fun, we don't count labor)
Climate at night is cool and dry 72deg/47% humidity
Easily pulls down to 72 deg in full sun (Bambi II/Fla/July/95deg)
Small 8x16x16 aluminum box outside condensor assy on tongue behind tanks
No major impact on the outside appeal of a vintage trailer

I am very happy with the results of this test unit. It's time to pack it up and start on my rebuild of the trailer. It will take awhile to show pictures of the final trimmed out unit because I have a whole trailer inside and out to complete.

Steve
firefly007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:47 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
longwood , Florida
I installed my new compact ac in my Toy hauler as a test. I don't want to experiment with my Bambi.

It is so quiet that you almost can't hear it. The air output shoots down the middle and up. You can feel the air all the way in the back at the ceiling. I plan to paint the grills black.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	achobbi 002.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	23657  
firefly007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 06:39 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
Steve:

I got my Art Cool from a distributor in Toronto.

They are available in both the USA and Canada. I’ve seen them in Canada for at least 3 years.

This is the Canadian LG site:

http://ca.lge.com/en/proddivergent.d...rch&categoryId

Here’s the USA one:

http://us.lge.com/products/category/...l%202005.jhtml

I’m going to try to upload the Canadian spec sheet for you, a PDF file.

The inside blower unit is 22” by 22” and 5” deep. It weighs 15 pounds.

The compressor is 30” long by 21” high by 9.5” wide. It weighs 73 pounds.

The total weight involved is 3 or 4 pounds less than the Carrier Low profile, if I remember correctly.

I’ve installed two split units in buildings. They are fantastic.

It remains to be seen how in will work in a trailer but my suspicion is that it will be superior to anything being commonly used now.

We will probably run the wire to the compressor later today. I will place the unit on the tongue and take a photo for you at that time.

Sergei

Sergei,

Did you ever install the artcool unit? Any pictures?

Thanks,

Doug

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:38 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Doug:

No, but we are going to do it soon.

We are painting the interior now. After that, we will install the pocket door/wall we built which sits between the shower and the mid space room.

The Art Cool head mounts there.

I will take photos and post, although I note that I said I’d take one of the compressor posed on the tongue and never did.

I must have been dragged sideways by things and forgot to do it…..

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote