Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2005, 11:24 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Where to get A/C installation done on 63 Globetrotter

After much deliberation I have decided to get A/C installed on my trailer in order to keep my wife and dog happy. To keep me happy I would like to have it installed by someone. The local AS dealer (Davenport. Ia) really has no experience with the vintage trailers and the advice they are giving for an istallation seems to conflict with some I have seen in the forum. They want to put it in the 14X14 vent and it seems to me that a new opening needs to be cut in a different location along with some type of bracing. I am looking at a Carrier unit. Is this the best choice? Also any suggestions on who to see for a top notch installation that would be within a reasonable distance say within 700 miles of me (Moline, Illinois).
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:32 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Talk with RV Revive (319 235-1115)
Ryan worked for Ace Fogdall for seventeen years before opening his own shop. He was factory trained in many areas.
He does great work, is familiar with the 'vintage' units, and is less expensive than the typical dealer. Tell him Bruce and Elizabeth suggested him. Won't get us a discount or anything else, but we do like his work!
And for what it's worth, he's the only one we have do anything to our 1983! We just had him install our second MaxxAir fan... he was strictly FanTastic prevous to this, but now he has installed and seen Maxx Air.... the first thing he said to us about them was because the motors and the works are above the install line, he will never have to breach the integrity of the seal if they ever need any work!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 05-12-2005, 12:27 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Where to get A/C installation done on 63 Globetrotter

Greetings 64air!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air
After much deliberation I have decided to get A/C installed on my trailer in order to keep my wife and dog happy. To keep me happy I would like to have it installed by someone. The local AS dealer (Davenport. Ia) really has no experience with the vintage trailers and the advice they are giving for an istallation seems to conflict with some I have seen in the forum. They want to put it in the 14X14 vent and it seems to me that a new opening needs to be cut in a different location along with some type of bracing. I am looking at a Carrier unit. Is this the best choice? Also any suggestions on who to see for a top notch installation that would be within a reasonable distance say within 700 miles of me (Moline, Illinois).
Another good option that isn't too far distant from the Quad Cities is Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, Iowa. They havve done ALL of my mechanical work on my Airstream Overlander since 1996, and my Minuet since I purchased it a little more than two years ago. They have been an authorized Airstream dealer for more than four decades.

In the case of the Overlander, they had to remove the original Bay Breeze air conditioner to install its modern replacement; with the Minuet it was a completely new install -- the opening had to be cut in the roof at the Airstream specified location.

I have had absolutely no qualms trusting Fogdall's with all of my service work, and am now traveling from South of Carbondale (IL) when repairs are necessary -- I lived in Southwestern Wiscosin when I first became familiar with the Fogdalls. The work on my coaches has always been done properly the first time, and I have never had to take a coach back to them a second time for the same problem.

You can learn more about Ace Fogdall RV at:

Ace Fogdall RV, Cedar Falls, Iowa

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 01:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
Greetings 64air!

Another good option that isn't too far distant from the Quad Cities is Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, Iowa. They havve done ALL of my mechanical work on my Airstream Overlander since 1996, and my Minuet since I purchased it a little more than two years ago. They have been an authorized Airstream dealer for more than four decades.

In the case of the Overlander, they had to remove the original Bay Breeze air conditioner to install its modern replacement; with the Minuet it was a completely new install -- the opening had to be cut in the roof at the Airstream specified location.

I have had absolutely no qualms trusting Fogdall's with all of my service work, and am now traveling from South of Carbondale (IL) when repairs are necessary -- I lived in Southwestern Wiscosin when I first became familiar with the Fogdalls. The work on my coaches has always been done properly the first time, and I have never had to take a coach back to them a second time for the same problem.

You can learn more about Ace Fogdall RV at:

Ace Fogdall RV, Cedar Falls, Iowa

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
Kevin hit the nail on the head.
Ace Fogdall is a repuatable dealer that will not gouge you.
I bought the Carrier A/C unit and cut my own hole. The difference is that I know that the Minuet had all of the wiring and bracing necessary. I am not sure on the 1960's models.
If you call Jackson Center they will gladly help you with any questions about your Airstream at NO CHARGE. They will email you, call you or send up smoke signals. I have found them to be extremely helpful.
If you do take this to a dealer be certain that you receive an estimate for the work and that if it is to exceed the estimate they are to call you.
I have heard of people being told one price, never receiving a call and coming in to pick up their trailer and finding out that the bill was nearly twice as much. This was in California and something about the law out there does not require the dealer to contact you should the repairs be more than the estimate. Be certain that it is in writing that they are to call you first.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 08:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Thanks for the Ace Fogdall suggestion. I just finished installing the wiring for the air yesterday and plan to have them do the rest of the installation.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Happy with Ace Fogdall work

Had the A/C installed by Fogdall and also a new Fridge very impressed with the service. Great workmenship on time and at the quoted price. Thanks to all for the advice it was right on