Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Where to buy Suburban NT30SP furnace

Pulled out my Suburban NT30SP furnace and found the housing holding the motor shaft very worn and the motor shaft very loose. I don't know enough about repair to try and and tackle the repair myself. But it looks like a couple of hundred dollar repair minimum.

So I think I am better off putting in a new unit. Hopefully I don't need to change cabinets, just slide the new one in.

I will check Palomino tomorrow. But does anyone else have suggestions where I can get a new one and have it shipped?

Are there any other Suburban models that will fit the old cabinet?

Thanks,
Old 05-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
You wil be better off not trying to salvage the old cabinet as the gas may come in at a different place, the electrical connections are plug in now, not direct wire, and most of all there is a venting system for the electronic circuit board so it does not overheat, which was not present on the old cabinet. Once you have the guts out, the cabinet is easy to remove (in most cases) as it is only held in with two screws usually, near the front.

The new cabinet will have all the holes in the right places for the new guts, the correct serial numbers and model numbers etc for anyone servicing it in the future.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
You wil be better off not trying to salvage the old cabinet as the gas may come in at a different place, the electrical connections are plug in now, not direct wire, and most of all there is a venting system for the electronic circuit board so it does not overheat.
FYI The old furnace was manufactured some time after 1997. I has direct plug in wiring and the circuit board is vented.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Just put in the new NT30SP I got from Palomino for $400. As I suspected the guts fit perfect into my previous NT30SP cabinet which saved a couple of hours work.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Just put in the new NT30SP I got from Palomino for $400. As I suspected the guts fit perfect into my previous NT30SP cabinet which saved a couple of hours work.
That's a heck of a price. Can you set me up with a phone number or web page or something?

Thanks!!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Palomino parts: 800-297-5830

A little disclaimer- You need to know exactly what you want to order. They are not too hot on customer support.

Last I checked the NT30SP and the NT35SP were both $400

The cabinets are unpainted metal, but since mine was a replacement I just slid the new works into the old painted cabinet.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Could you post a pic of that furnace please.
I have 2 of the old NT35-K. in my 92 limited
0557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
The cabinets are unpainted metal, but since mine was a replacement I just slid the new works into the old painted cabinet.
I'm guessing that your old furnace was not original, since my 1974 NT-32 was noticeably taller than the NT-30SP I replaced it with, and the new version would have been too low to connect to the original exhaust/air intake openings, and yet was 1½" too high to make contact with the plenum (metal box to which the two main heat ducts that supplied my 31-footer).

I built an adaptor out of pieces I cut from the very sturdy old furnaces cabinet to hold the whole furnace at height that matched the old openings in the outer body shell.

You can see the main part of the installation showing the old and the new furnaces here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f221...ml#post1160707
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:51 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
I will check Palomino tomorrow. But does anyone else have suggestions where I can get a new one and have it shipped?
Here's a link to the LDV page Specialty Vehicle - Mobile Command Center Manufacturer | LDV but as I have mentioned before, they see to not promote parts anymore, just the specialty vehicle building part of their biz.

Just phone the 800 number and ask for parts to see if they will sell a furnace. My NT-30SP was $399, and shipping was very reasonable to me here in Canada.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
I'm guessing that your old furnace was not original, since my 1974 NT-32 was noticeably taller than the NT-30SP I replaced it with, and the new version would have been too low to connect to the original exhaust/air intake openings, and yet was 1½" too high to make contact with the plenum (metal box to which the two main heat ducts that supplied my 31-footer).

I built an adaptor out of pieces I cut from the very sturdy old furnaces cabinet to hold the whole furnace at height that matched the old openings in the outer body shell.

You can see the main part of the installation showing the old and the new furnaces here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f221...ml#post1160707
The Palomino Suburban was a replacement of a replacement. The original furnace was a NT22a, which also had a serious safety recall. And yes, you have to make some mods to make it fit.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Just ordered from Palomino parts. $450 + $35 shipping.

Score!

Big thanks to Lumatic!!!