Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2015, 01:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tulsa , Oklahoma
where does condensate go?

I need to replace my a/c. I am wondering where condensation goes on most roof air conditioners. I hear about drip cups a lot. Do these collect the water and let evaporation take it off or are they connected to a line that channels it away? Is evaporation an effective system. Does an aftermarket a/c usually have a port for a drip line?
terrencecolp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
We have a 2014 so my answer may not apply to your particular year. Each of our two AC's has a line for the condensate that drips down into the wheel well. These lines need to be kept clear so they function. Usually a shot of compressed air does the trick.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
where does condensate go?

Your 76 will incorporate a drip pan integral to the air conditioner that channels the water into a tube that runs through the drivers side interior wall and then drains to the ground.

It is my understanding that often times when the stock a/c is removed and replaced with a modern unit that draining can be problematic.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Drip cups are associated with Dometic Penguin A/C units. RVP-Coleman units can be ordered with a condensate pump. Both of these units channel the condensate into Airstream's drain tube that is installed by the factory and runs the condensate thru the sidewalls of the trailer usually exiting above the wheel wells.

From my experience, the Dometic drip cup system if far better than Airstream's proprietary drain pan, far easier to install and also will spill the condensate onto the roof instead of inside the trailer (like the drain pan) in the oft chance that the drain tube gets blocked.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
My new Coleman AC did not come with a condensate pump nor did I even think about it. My Coleman AC just drips condensate down the side of the trailer. Isn't the greatest idea ever.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote