Originally Posted by Razinni
I turned on gas for quite a period before I adjusted the thermostat just to see if I could detect any odor.
Obligatory safety note: LPG producers add ethyl mercaptains to propane to allow it to be detected by smell. The amount of oderant added should
be enough to allow detection at one-fifth of the lower explosive limit (or about 0.4% propane in air). Assuming
you put your nose near the floor and inhale where LPG will collect, and aren't standing upright where your breathing zone is above the vapors. And assuming you haven't harmed your sense of smell by a lifetime of smoking.
However, LPG is an inhalation hazard at concentrations as low as 0.1% propane in air and may cause damage to the central nervous system.
In other words, by the time you can smell it, there's enough in the air to hurt you, even though there's not yet enough to catch fire.
Please don't make a habit of using your nose to detect propane leaks, if you can use an electronic LPG detector instead.