Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2020, 10:49 AM   #81

2017 Basecamp
Bozeman , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanB View Post
You just can't make this kind of stuff up ...
We have a 2018 Basecamp. We've already put about 15k miles on it. But we were driving thru GA yesterday and were caught in a rainstorm with heavy winds. When we stopped for the night I noticed a lot of light coming thru the AC unit ... went outside to examine and ... well... its simply gone???
I genuinely have no idea exactly where and when but, I'd guess it's sitting on the side of the hwy somewhere. I just hope it didn't hit anyone when it flew off.
Anyway, any advice on what to do? I bought all the warranties and extra service packages so I know it's covered (or I hope it is ... ) but, I'm in Jackson Mississippi, headed to Shreeveport LA. Im assuming I need to find a registered Airstream service center ...
This is my first trailer and first significant problem.
Thanks for any advice !!
Hi there - Curious how this turned out for you. We were just returning home from a camping trip when I happened to look in the rearview camera only to see our air conditioner in the middle of the road behind us. We still can't believe that this happened, just straight up fell off. The bolts are still there, so just can't figure out what happened. Have had it for over a year now.
Just didn't know if you had any success with airstream corporate or if you turned in an insurance claim, or?

Thanks!!!
LaurieB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:17 PM   #82
1 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Colorado Springs , CO
I guess I should apologize for not updating this sooner.
Airstream did cover the replacement and it was rather painless overall. We had it repaired at a shop in Mississippi I believe. Certified repair shop & dealership. Sorry can't recall the name right now. But they did a great job. Took about a month.

I truly appreciate the customer service and warranty but, seriously here ... an A/C unit flying off the back while driving down the highway is dangerous!!
Airstream, you need to fix this.
BryanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:33 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanB View Post
I guess I should apologize for not updating this sooner.
Airstream did cover the replacement and it was rather painless overall. We had it repaired at a shop in Mississippi I believe. Certified repair shop & dealership. Sorry can't recall the name right now. But they did a great job. Took about a month.

I truly appreciate the customer service and warranty but, seriously here ... an A/C unit flying off the back while driving down the highway is dangerous!!
Airstream, you need to fix this.
Thanks for the update . . . glad it worked out.

In light of Airstream's gross manufacturing defect [IMO] did they offer to reimburse you for your related travel/lodging expenses, or for the "loss of use" of the trailer? [edit -- or for your insurance deductible per your Post #53?]

Amazing that a class-action lawsuit has not started about Airstream's extensive -- and growing -- QC problems. [IMO]

PS -- See 2019 posts also . . . not too far above [or below -- depending on how you format this page].
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:35 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieB12 View Post
Hi there - Curious how this turned out for you. We were just returning home from a camping trip when I happened to look in the rearview camera only to see our air conditioner in the middle of the road behind us. We still can't believe that this happened, just straight up fell off. The bolts are still there, so just can't figure out what happened. Have had it for over a year now.
Just didn't know if you had any success with airstream corporate or if you turned in an insurance claim, or?

Thanks!!!
Welcome to the forum . . . a real baptism by fire!

So sorry for your loss.

Good luck getting Airstream to step up to the plate here, and to offer to reimburse you, and all others similarly situated, for all of your losses.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:50 AM   #85

2019 Basecamp
steamboat springs , Colorado
my ac also fell right off

I was driving at about 20mph, no bridges, no branches, i heard something crash looked in the rearview and saw the entire AC unit sitting on the ground. Bolts broke right in half and ac fell right off. If i was on the highway probably would of killed the person behind me. What a horrible manufacturing defect. Those bolts are not strong enough to hold the ac on the roof. Airstream needs to recall all basecamps to fix this issue.
cg43879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:01 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg43879 View Post
I was driving at about 20mph, no bridges, no branches, i heard something crash looked in the rearview and saw the entire AC unit sitting on the ground. Bolts broke right in half and ac fell right off. If i was on the highway probably would of killed the person behind me. What a horrible manufacturing defect. Those bolts are not strong enough to hold the ac on the roof. Airstream needs to recall all basecamps to fix this issue.
Sorry for your baptism by fire!

"Airstream needs to recall all . . . "

They had to do a fleet-wide BC recall to change the axles because the tires rubbed on the body.

This A/C flying off defect is much more dangerous IMO.

Jackson Center are you listening?
Old 07-28-2020, 09:07 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
[Post #21 -- click on orange arrow to go directly there]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi BryanB,*

We're very sorry to learn about this. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can help you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Are you still monitoring this issue?

Thanks,
Old 07-29-2020, 08:39 AM   #88
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
Ours also came loose, caught it just before fell off. Just one of several "new out of the box" major issues, (not just common missing screws, poped revits, chips and construction debris, etc.) Airstream quality control really sucks. Will never ever buy anything AS makes new again. Recommend everyone buy at least 3 year old that some owner has already fixed all the stuff AS didn't fix, but should have.
dayner is offline   Reply With Quote