Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2019, 10:50 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Dallas , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
I'm sure it's not a low bridge, but the OP's post reminded me of the YouTube videos.

I've seen plenty of gas station awnings and other low clearance areas that are definitely in the 9' or less, designed for cars. As a UPS driver I was told I could go through a carport to turn around. I looked at them and said they should look at the height of the truck and the height of their carport.

I've seen all sorts of low clearance issues. My favorite was a 40' tractor trailer that went under a RR bridge. The road dipped and the tractor and front of the truck went under just fine. When it started up the other side the trailer got wedged under the bridge. They let the air out of the tires to get it free.

Stuff happens. I'd be interested to hear the final chapter of this story. Pictures of the roof would be interesting.

All this low bridge talk is kinda childish.
Something this serious deserves real help and feedback.
Where are the professionals from Airstream so the rest of us can avoid what could have killed people following.
Why does Airstream go off line once enough attention is finally reaching there sales locations and finally showing the lack of quality in these expensive RV’s.

There quick interaction could save lives.
BnJ_AirTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:52 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msherw View Post
Please call the AS Mothership and let them know directly. Don’t expect a dealer to do this. The factory needs to hear from you directly. This is an obvious warranty issue but more so, it is the lack of good quality control. We pay too much for the AS name and mystique to have to live with sub-par assembly.

Good luck with the replacement.
Exactly........... awesome addition to this thread.
Thank you for intelligent input.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:55 AM   #63
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Chicora , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by BnJ_AirTX View Post
Where are the professionals from Airstream so the rest of us can avoid what could have killed people following.
Why does Airstream go off line once enough attention is finally reaching there sales locations and finally showing the lack of quality in these expensive RV’s.

100% agree.

Another example of Airstream living off of its past success.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...st-192272.html

Quality Control hurting and lacking inovation.
WBAC #1341
Totlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:30 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Airstream replied to the OP in post #21. The OP hasn't said whether or not they contacted Airstream to determine the problem. I don't see where Airstream is at fault for not doing anything. The OP should provide us with some updated information on how this is going.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:44 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by BnJ_AirTX View Post

Help me to understand the "childish" aspect of someone driving under a low bridge and shearing off their air conditioner(s). Did you view the video link on my post #3? There is one where a car is directly behind a trailer when the A/C drops off right in front of them, sheared off by the low bridge. These aren't fake videos, these things happen. I'm not saying the OP did this, but it does happen.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:44 AM   #66

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
Couple things, Airstream does not build the ac unit and associated hardware.
the other is Basecamps arent meant for trailer parks. Getting into the backcountry is not about running an ac unit with a generator.
Not everyone lives a half-day's drive from a temperate camping spot. Right now in Texas, one doesn't need AC. June through September, one would need AC for a night or two while towing a Basecamp somewhere with pleasant weather in the backcountry.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:04 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
There have been a lot of thoughts and theories on the cause of the situation presented by the OP. Airstream has been in contact with the OP, and we have not been told of the outcome or the interaction with Airstream. Several posters on this site are all to ready to bash Airstream at every possible problem, suggesting that posters "demand" immediate results on even the smallest problem. There is always more than one side to a story, as the late radio host Paul Harvey always said, "now for the rest of the story". Bashing or demanding a company, individual, or organization is not likely to produce an amicable solution to any problem. Working together is the best solution. When I was involved in supply and retail, those that "demanded" got the least and slowest service. Threats never work!! I hope that the OP comes back and tells the whole story and things work out well for all concerned. JMHO
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:09 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Not everyone lives a half-day's drive from a temperate camping spot. Right now in Texas, one doesn't need AC. June through September, one would need AC for a night or two while towing a Basecamp somewhere with pleasant weather in the backcountry.
Thanks, Hard for me to understand that it really is a necessity in parts of the country. I think I did originally ask the OP though.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:11 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
If I had a Basecamp I would want an AC. And if I had paid for one that came off I would want it replaced. Probably an installation problem. Maybe they set it in place and then forgot to screw it down after the break? Have you got it fixed yet?

Necessary? Is not much of an argument in regards to an Airstream. What one thinks he wants is more the way things go.

The Base camp looks too much like a bread toaster not to have an AC available.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:58 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
So I decided I would check the bolts in the Penguin I installed on our Excella almost 2 years ago and they were all about 3 turns loose, This install has the extra gasket to accept the condensate piping and has more foam gasket to compress over time. After rereading the instructions they say to tighten to 40-50 inch pounds and that the bolts are self locking so no further tightening necessary. Not so sure about that.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:56 PM   #71
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overstreet View Post
1. Cover the hole to prevent further damage to the unit. Prevent water intrusion into unit.

2. Call the dealer. Foley is a good call.

Call Airstream and ask them to slow things down because their reputation will be catching up real soon. . . Like the gentleman said. You can’t make this kind of stuff up!
Old 02-28-2019, 04:11 AM   #72
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Believe it or not ...
Last year I installed a new Penguin II mid ship on our 34'.
As I tightened the 4 long bolts, 2 of them tightened only so far. The rivnuts literally pulled through the steel base of the AC. I had to use a Dremel inside the unit to cut them out and use a new bolt, washer and nut to do the job.
I like rivnuts, but only when installed properly!
This added significantly to the install time, which should have been a quick hour.
I suspect if they (long bolts) were over tightened, or torqued down with an impact gun, those rivnuts might have pulled through, and the AC could fly off.
If this was the case, you as the installer would certainly know darned well you had a problem!
Furthermore, a leak/ light test would reveal light entering the assembly, and would require remedy! If it happened to me, it could happen to a careless installer at the time of manufacture.....
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:00 AM   #73
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Believe it or not ...
Last year I installed a new Penguin II mid ship on our 34'.
As I tightened the 4 long bolts, 2 of them tightened only so far. The rivnuts literally pulled through the steel base of the AC. I had to use a Dremel inside the unit to cut them out and use a new bolt, washer and nut to do the job.
I like rivnuts, but only when installed properly!
This added significantly to the install time, which should have been a quick hour.
I suspect if they (long bolts) were over tightened, or torqued down with an impact gun, those rivnuts might have pulled through, and the AC could fly off.
If this was the case, you as the installer would certainly know darned well you had a problem!
Furthermore, a leak/ light test would reveal light entering the assembly, and would require remedy! If it happened to me, it could happen to a careless installer at the time of manufacture.....

Excellent example. Thank you so much for sharing.
I found similar items that were so obviously rushed that it was shocking to my neighbors that I paid so much money for the amount of things I had to have fixed. Curtains installed upside down, cabinet latches off set beyond reach. Fridge that never would work on LP. Door had to be slammed so hard you would wake other campers.
This is my minor issues.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:39 AM   #74
1 Rivet Member

Lakewood , Colorado
Our AC fell off too!!

Same thing just happened to us and our 2017 BC!! But luckily we were just a few yards from our camp so no one was hurt and we still have the unit. Bolts sheared in half.
louisekuiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:54 AM   #75
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Send JC pictures of the hole in the roof and DEMAND that it be repaired under warranty. No equivocation. NO insurance claim.
It IS a build failure. 👎

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-27-2019, 12:39 PM   #76
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Too bad we never heard back from the OP with the outcome, i.e. insurance vs. warranty. Unless I missed it.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:46 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
This is the OP's last post on this thread [#53 on 2/22/19]:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanB View Post
Do you think I have a case for getting AS to cover the insurance deductible? If it wasn't installed correctly it should be a warranty thing, not an insurance thing ... right??
That is also his last post on AirForums.

Bryan if you are still monitoring could you please update us?

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:52 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by louisekuiper View Post
Same thing just happened to us and our 2017 BC!! But luckily we were just a few yards from our camp so no one was hurt and we still have the unit. Bolts sheared in half.
Sorry for your troubles, and thanks for the heads up. Welcome to the forum, and good luck getting Airstream to help you out!

Peter

PS -- You might consider starting you own thread, in order to make your situation more visible. When you "go up" to the forum where we are:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427/

. . . just click on "New Thread" at the top left.

Or . . . maybe the Basecamp forum would be a better venue? Your call entirely.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404/
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 02:27 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
Couple things, Airstream does not build the ac unit and associated hardware.

the other is Basecamps arent meant for trailer parks. Getting into the backcountry is not about running an ac unit with a generator.

It could be for some people who aren't you...... #JustSayin

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 02:33 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by louisekuiper View Post
Sorry to hear that!

Hundred-pound chunks of metal falling off of moving vehicles is the sort of hazard really needs to be dealt with thoroughly. You can help make sure it gets the attention it deserves by opening a case with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Go to https://www.nhtsa.gov/ and click on REPORT A PROBLEM.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote