Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2018, 09:31 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
I'm liking these units. Dual fan so they run quieter, seem to have higher reviews than others but are reasonably priced, and all the extra bits and pieces that cost you more with others, are included.

Different styles and functions are available, ducted, non-ducted, etc.

http://www.my12voltstore.com/Atwood_...5021-15026.htm

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

Hi Tony,
Do you own one of these, if so I have questions?
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:34 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Glenn T, Thanks, I'm going to PM you.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 08-01-2018, 10:12 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Checkout the Dometic Blizzard NXT. It's the newest top of the line model out there.

That's what I intend to replace my 13.5k Penguin with on my 27FB trailer. Likewise, I'm not interested in 2 units, and would like the maximum A/C performance possible from a single unit. Supposedly more airflow, less noise, and more cooling.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:15 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
As it happens, I'm currently in the market for a new a/c for my '2012 Avenue Suite. The original Coleman Polar Mach 13,500btu is suffering from fatal fan drop. Due to the Avenue's construction, the a/c is completely recessed and hidden under a top ventilation panel requiring a low-profile model under 10-1/2" in height.

The old low-profile model has a vertical shaft that has broken mounts and is dropping. This causes the inside blower cage to rub and requires replacement.

I can't find a replacement Polar Mach model so I assume it's been discontinued. For ease of connection, want to stay with Coleman. Their only low-profile model is the Mach 8 that has dual fan motors (bladed for for condenser/cage-type for expansion blower). I heard of problems with the condenser fan mount on that model as well as noise. Not confidence inspiring.

But, they have new Mach 8 "Plus" that they claim to have a different & quieter condenser fan and is more efficient by one amp when running. It is ultra low profile at 8-1/4" and slightly smaller in length and width than my old model so it should be an easy swap. Time will tell as I'm planning to order the "Plus" model with matching interior grill on Monday. I just need to verify it comes with the roof gasket or if I need to order it separately.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 01:37 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2004 30' Classic
1972 Argosy 22
Meridian , Idaho

A word of caution to anyone wanting to replace their original air conditioner. Airstreams have a built in drain line. In order for this feature to work they designed an adapter pan that fits between the AC unit and the roof. These pans are designed for specific brand/model AC units. They are not universal.

I recommend you contact Customer support at JC to find which pans are available.

Charlie
cbburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:27 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbburke View Post
A word of caution to anyone wanting to replace their original air conditioner. Airstreams have a built in drain line. In order for this feature to work they designed an adapter pan that fits between the AC unit and the roof. These pans are designed for specific brand/model AC units. They are not universal.
I recommend you contact Customer support at JC to find which pans are available.
Charlie

Charlie,
A really good point and a really good suggestion. I've been trying to find out this important information from the dealers and the manufacturers. It's like pulling teeth.

Thanks
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 08-05-2018, 07:34 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Checkout the Dometic Blizzard NXT. It's the newest top of the line model out there.

That's what I intend to replace my 13.5k Penguin with on my 27FB trailer. Likewise, I'm not interested in 2 units, and would like the maximum A/C performance possible from a single unit. Supposedly more airflow, less noise, and more cooling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
As it happens, I'm currently in the market for a new a/c for my '2012 Avenue Suite. The original Coleman Polar Mach 13,500btu is suffering from fatal fan drop. Due to the Avenue's construction, the a/c is completely recessed and hidden under a top ventilation panel requiring a low-profile model under 10-1/2" in height.

The old low-profile model has a vertical shaft that has broken mounts and is dropping. This causes the inside blower cage to rub and requires replacement.

I can't find a replacement Polar Mach model so I assume it's been discontinued. For ease of connection, want to stay with Coleman. Their only low-profile model is the Mach 8 that has dual fan motors (bladed for for condenser/cage-type for expansion blower). I heard of problems with the condenser fan mount on that model as well as noise. Not confidence inspiring.

But, they have new Mach 8 "Plus" that they claim to have a different & quieter condenser fan and is more efficient by one amp when running. It is ultra low profile at 8-1/4" and slightly smaller in length and width than my old model so it should be an easy swap. Time will tell as I'm planning to order the "Plus" model with matching interior grill on Monday. I just need to verify it comes with the roof gasket or if I need to order it separately.

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I'm still researching, but loving all of the suggestions.

rowiebowie, you'll have to let us know how you like the Mach 8 Plus. It seems like all of the better performing units now utilize two fans. BTW I've read the same information on the Mack 8 vs the Mack 8 Plus. Sounds like they fixed that noise problem, hope so. Good luck.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 08-05-2018, 10:59 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2004 30' Classic
1972 Argosy 22
Meridian , Idaho

Looked around a little bit. The only thing I don't like about the Coleman Mach 8+ is it is not available as a heat pump. I do like a heat pump. If I've paid campground fees I'm not going to burn my LP.
The Mach 10 is taller and still not a heat pump and it's only rated to 13,500 BTU's. The Dometic NXT is not low profile (14"). But it is available as an AC/heat pump.
Just don't know if Airstream has a pan that fits it.
cbburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:18 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Pete View Post
Charlie,
A really good point and a really good suggestion. I've been trying to find out this important information from the dealers and the manufacturers. It's like pulling teeth. Thanks

Nice catch by Charlie. Doesn't affect my model motor home, but something for others to consider.

Quote:
rowiebowie, you'll have to let us know how you like the Mach 8 Plus. It seems like all of the better performing units now utilize two fans. BTW I've read the same information on the Mack 8 vs the Mack 8 Plus. Sounds like they fixed that noise problem, hope so. Good luck.

I'm going to order the Mach 8 Plus in the morning. I have a height restriction of 10.5" (unique to the Avenue models) so this is the only Coleman model I can consider. I hope the improvements of the "plus" over the old Mach 8 have fixed the previous problems. It is also 2 amps more efficient than my old model and the old Mach 8's which will give my 20A house power and generator a bit more of an operating margin. Any review of mine may be too late for your decision, but I will post a followup here on how I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbburke View Post
Looked around a little bit. The only thing I don't like about the Coleman Mach 8+ is it is not available as a heat pump. I do like a heat pump. If I've paid campground fees I'm not going to burn my LP.

I certainly agree, but the Coleman literature does show a heat pump model offered in 13.5 & 15K btu model (see pic). I will add that information on the airxcel.com site is not always updated. I don't plan to camp much in cold temperatures and so far the furnace seems to only sip a little propane, so I'm just ordering the standard cooling Mach 8 Plus and adding the heat strip for $33.99.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coleman Mach 8 PLUS Heat Pump Specs.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	384.7 KB
ID:	319047  
Old 08-06-2018, 05:06 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Tallmadge , Ohio
Quote:
Hi Tony,
Do you own one of these, if so I have questions?
I recently installed the atwood 15k on my 1977 sovereign 31. I didn't want to spend the money for the penguin or mach ones. It installed easily. It cools nicely and is pretty quiet. I'm currently building my trailer, so it is a mostly empty shell at the moment. We'll see how it is when there are actually walls.

One comment, though, is that you'll have condensate run off down the outside of the trailer since it doesn't have a recovery system or a hookup for the drain tube.
PurdyWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:39 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdyWagon View Post
I recently installed the atwood 15k on my 1977 sovereign 31. I didn't want to spend the money for the penguin or mach ones. It installed easily. It cools nicely and is pretty quiet. I'm currently building my trailer, so it is a mostly empty shell at the moment. We'll see how it is when there are actually walls.

One comment, though, is that you'll have condensate run off down the outside of the trailer since it doesn't have a recovery system or a hookup for the drain tube.

That's right. I finally got a definitive answer from Dometic (They own Atwood) and there is no drain kit for the Atwood Air Command. So, one will have to live with the over the skin drainage if they have or want this unit.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 08-06-2018, 08:42 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:

Roof gasket came with my rooftop unit on my Mach 8 cub. No need to order separately.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:49 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Nice catch by Charlie. Doesn't affect my model motor home, but something for others to consider.

I'm going to order the Mach 8 Plus in the morning. I have a height restriction of 10.5" (unique to the Avenue models) so this is the only Coleman model I can consider. I hope the improvements of the "plus" over the old Mach 8 have fixed the previous problems. It is also 2 amps more efficient than my old model and the old Mach 8's which will give my 20A house power and generator a bit more of an operating margin. Any review of mine may be too late for your decision, but I will post a followup here on how I like it.

I certainly agree, but the Coleman literature does show a heat pump model offered in 13.5 & 15K btu model (see pic). I will add that information on the airxcel.com site is not always updated. I don't plan to camp much in cold temperatures and so far the furnace seems to only sip a little propane, so I'm just ordering the standard cooling Mach 8 Plus and adding the heat strip for $33.99.
I have the heat strip on my Mach 8 cub. You can find a bunch of install photos on my blog if you want to see what's involved. Fairly simple.

I really like the condensate pump on the Mach 8. Ties right into the factory condensate drain tube, and doesn't require a tube to pass under the gasket like the Penguin cup sustem.

I've been pleased with the performance of the heat strip in general. It's advertised only as a "chill chaser" but if you give it some time, it can get the coach pretty comfortable down to freezing temps. That said, I rarely use it in favor of a small counter top space heater that pulls less power when I'm moochdocking at the in-laws on a 15A receptacle.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:08 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatleys View Post
Roof gasket came with my rooftop unit on my Mach 8 cub. No need to order separately.
Thanks. Before I ordered my Mach 8 Plus this morning, I called Airxcel and the tech said they ship the roof gasket with all their a/c units. So that's at least one thing that won't cost me extra.

Just an update on the order process, my necessity of needing a low-profile model is hurting my pocket book (see the picture of roof area with the ventilated shroud removed).

Turns out, low profile units are pricier than standard profile units that start around $500. Then, the Mach 8 "Plus" model costs more than the standard Mach 8 ($821.98 + shipping was the best price I could find).

Finally, most ship by "Freight" rate and not "Free Shipping" or "$9.99 Shipping Over $100" offered on most items. Oh no my friends. Freight rate is more like $139.99. Add the inside cover and heat strip and the price goes up some more.

Total came to . . . . . drum roll . . . . . $1146.67! Ouch!

At least I can install it myself with a friend's help so there should be no more surprises. I just hope getting A/C back, having a slightly quieter unit (fingers crossed), and reducing run load by 2 amps over my original unit, will ease the pain a bit.

It should be delivered between August 10th - 14th. Will report how I like it once it's installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8261.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	348.3 KB
ID:	319137  
Old 08-06-2018, 11:02 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Great article on the Blizzard NXT - http://www.trailerlife.com/tech/indoor-blizzard/
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:50 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Great article on the Blizzard NXT - http://www.trailerlife.com/tech/indoor-blizzard/

That was a good article. Thanks.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 08-16-2018, 12:34 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Installed the Coleman Mach 8 Plus on Monday (on my Avenue class b). Their ad was wrong and I received the 15K btu instead of a 13.5K. Based on advice from members on another thread, I decided to keep it since it is only larger by 11% and most said I wouldn't regret it. PPL motorhomes is refunding the freight shipping costs of $140 due to their mistake.

I posted a review here http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...-185437-3.html but the two main pluses are it has an actual low speed (my old Coleman Polar Mach speeds were high & higher) which makes it noticeably quieter and, best of all, draws only 12-13 amps which is a couple less than the old smaller 13.5K. I guess efficiency improvements were made in the seven years since our old unit was made.

I realize this model may not be suitable on AS trailers, but wanted to let you know a few improvements in noise and efficiency. Now, if only it lasts.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:10 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
rowiebowie,

Thanks for the follow up and the link to your review.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4