Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2007, 08:41 PM   #1
Dugger

1963 30' Sovereign
Midlothian , Texas
What size AC/Heat for 31 Ft. AS.

Recently phurchased a 1963 Land Yatch, the AC is shot and I don't know about the heater/furnace yet. Found a used 7500 btu coleman for $150.00. Wondering if this is large enough for the 31 footer. Also wondering about the noise a heater/AC roof unit might make, using the heater that is. And by the way, this is only my 2nd post, used the search feature... What a wounderfull bunch of folks you all are. Can't wait till my AS is campimg ready and I can make a ralley and meet some of you folks. Thanks Doug
Dugger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:55 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Santa Barbara , California
AC for 31 footer

Doug:
I have a 31 foot, 1994 Excella. I installed a 15K BTU Carrier brand AC. This brand allows you to modify the drip pan/trough to run the condensed water through a drain tube with the ceiling/walls. I do not use the heater coil. I think 7500 Btu's is not enough capacity.
Mark

1984 31' Excella, mid bath, king size bed
1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500, 7.4L/454 c.i., 4WD, Pullrite Hitch
AIR No. 2375

"You know... life is just the way it is...."
markparker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:06 PM   #3
Dugger

1963 30' Sovereign
Midlothian , Texas
Mark, Thanks for the quick reply, just bought this and have gutted and will be replacing the floor. Always wanted onee to rebuild, having a blast, wished I was more creative so I'm doing a lot of inet looking for good ideals. I agree concerning the a/c size. Thanks again, Doug
Dugger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Get the 15,000. We have that size in our 27'. When we had a 25' even the 13,500 had to work hard and could have been cooler in high heat. A lot of the 34' Airstreams are going with 2 airconditioners. The heat pump works really well but it makes enough noise to need to turn up the tv to hear it, if that can be an indication to you how noisy it is. It isn't an irritating noise. I use it often.

There are some great rallies in Texas.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugger10
Recently phurchased a 1963 Land Yatch, the AC is shot and I don't know about the heater/furnace yet. Found a used 7500 btu coleman for $150.00. Wondering if this is large enough for the 31 footer. Also wondering about the noise a heater/AC roof unit might make, using the heater that is. And by the way, this is only my 2nd post, used the search feature... What a wounderfull bunch of folks you all are. Can't wait till my AS is campimg ready and I can make a ralley and meet some of you folks. Thanks Doug
Doug,

A 7500 BTU unit will not even cool a 16 Bambi. A trailer your size will definitely need a 15K unit, or possibly 2-13.5s..... if you're into rewiring for 50 amps and will have that much power available. Then it would be cold enough to hang meat!!! I've seen twin 13.5s on MoHos and 5th wheels as small as 30 ft.

PS: the heat pump units will generate the same noise as the A/C when in use. IMHO, the heat strips don't really generate enough heat to be used as a heat source as they will only take the chill out of the air........still noisy!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:03 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We have a 13,500btu Coleman A/C unit in our 27' coach, it really isn't enough to cool it down. Being in Texas, your A/C needs will be similar to ours, so you should probably get the 15K unit. If you get the heat strip, it is nice to have the flexibility to not use propane to warm the trailer when it isn't that cold out. Just be aware it isn't meant to heat the coach when the temps are near or below freezing.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
No Way

Doug, Definitely not enough to cool you off in Texas! We purchased our new '04 30ft Classic in Texas a few years ago and it was equipped from the factory with the 13K BTU unit. It didn't cool fast enough or stay cool enough to suit us. We recently had Roger Williams Airstream in Weatherford upgrade us to the 15K BTU heat pump unit. Upon picking it up last week we had the chance to use it as the temps were in the low 80s. We expect it will cool the interior quicker in the Summers and run much quieter based on our experience last week. Pony up and do it right the first time. You won't be sorry.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Also be aware there are heat strips and heat pumps and they are different. Our heat pump will work down to a certain temperature (38degrees perhaps?) then the climate control box will automatically switch onto auxillary and start the furnace. When the temperatures are within the heat pump's capacity the furnace will cut off and the heat pump will resume. That way there is no danger of your water systems freezing by not heating up the enclosed tanks with the furnace in freezing temperatures.

I also like running the heat pump to burn off condensation in the morning and crack the windows a bit to clear them up in colder weather.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
It's great to have all three methods to condition the air. A fourth option we sometimes utilize is a small electric box heater that utilizes a heat coil and small fan. This unit takes the edge off, is adjustable, has a tip over safety switch and is very quiet as opposed to the forced air propane fired furnace. It saves propane and if you have an electric hookup it costs the same no matter. The box heaters can be purchased for around $30 in most hardware stores during the Winter months. They are very small and take up virtually no space. Some folks like the oil heaters that look more like the steam radiators of old.
HAPPY TRAILS