Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Austin , Texas
What kind of heater is this?

From out of my '60 Tradewind. the metal parts are in good shape, but the controller is messed up. Bench test shows it doesn't shut off properly and has a pinhole leak in the pilot tube. See the pictures. There's a strange part that might be a air door control, but it wasn't obviously attached to anything. I'm sure the furnace is a junker. Where can I get one like it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	furnace cover.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	74064   Click image for larger version

Name:	burner test.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	74065  

Click image for larger version

Name:	strange part.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	74066   Click image for larger version

Name:	furnace position.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	74067  

PetervB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Looks similar to a Glen-Aire furnace in one of my older trailers. Some were radiant heat only and some had a blower fan to distribute heated air throughout the trailer. It's a real shame these are not still in production. The roof mounted vent allowed for leaks, so newer styles were created.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
Looks very similar to one in my '63 Catilina, Travel Heater [Elkhart Indiana]. Works flawlessly, simple design. Used another in my ice shanty, comon to early campers in my area. Your high limit shutoff may not work on the bench. Both of mine have a small thermostat aprox. [1 1/2" dia x 3/8" thick] behind the grill near the top that shut off the gas at high temp limit. My heaters wo'nt cycle properly if not enclosed. You can replace pilot tube with common stock. Right now on Ebay someone has a number of Airstream pilots and thermocouplers for sale, N O S, I picked up a couple of spares. If I could find two of these heaters that match I'd kick that nightmare furnace in my safari right out the door! Hope this helps.
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:28 PM   #4
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Peter -
The furnace in my '59 Tradewind was a Thurm brand. It was mounted in the same location as your '60, and the louvered grill looks the same though mine is brown in color. I'm replacing mine with a new Suburban furnace once I get to reworking kitchen cabinetry. If you can find a new furnace that fits the original space, that would be great.
Mark
Mark Wiltrakis is offline   Reply With Quote