Old 11-14-2015, 04:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
My original shroud looked like it was fiberglass. My replacement, 3 years ago from PPL, looked like fiberglass also. I too wanted the silver/aluminum/metallic look. I lightly scuffed it with sandpaper, washed with soap & water, and painted with rattle can primer and then paint. It looks the same as when I painted it 3 years ago.

Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:46 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
I painted a plastic replacement vent with "chrome" paint... now looks like dull aluminum paint. Sticks to my awning, too! Lousy product!

I wish I'd gone to twin portable A/Cs when my rooftop unit failed. It's a real hassle to get that thing up there, and the air doesn't really blow where I want it to go. It's an energy hog that occasionally throws its breaker. There are lots of threads detailing how little love there is for the rooftop units.

SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:20 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
Did not work for me

Originally Posted by bganso View Post
I'd consider something like this: LG Electronics 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner and Dehumidifier Function with Remote Control (48 Pints/Day)-LP0814WNR - The Home Depot

you're not making a permanent hole in your roof and can be vented through a side window.
I attempted something similar on my FC with no success. Finally ended up with a splt system which is excellent. PM me for me more info or search for "Mini Split" thread.
BambiTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:22 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
Ideal solution

Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
You can get a split unit, and put the compressor and condenser outside, on the tongue, for example. The cooling part can be mounted in a cabinet, with the fan blowing the cool air out into the interior.
I ended up with a Pioneer split system in my vintage trailer and love it. Installation is not trivial, however.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compressor2.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	252199  

BambiTex is offline   Reply With Quote