Old 06-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member
1972 29' Ambassador
Weatherford , Texas
Originally Posted by Gosman View Post
all i am new to the airstream family, i own a 1972 argosy and would like to get the hot water heater running . Have tried to lite and can not get it started .
Need help please advise??
When i tried to light the hot water heater , i turned the knob to pilot and tried to light ! But did not hear the propane or smell it . Need hepl getting the hot water heater going .
Thanks all george

My water heater pilot won't lite unless you set the temperature at the coolest setting. You can hear it click and then press the button and lite it up. Mine is a Bowen 10 gallon. Hope this helps.

mopariac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:35 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member
1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Solenoid valve not working

Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We are camped in Lucy in Raton, New Mexico, and the water heater will not come on. Here are the details.

We were camped in Enid, Oklahoma, last night. We showered and the water heater was working as normal. This morning the water heater would not come on.

Lucy is a 2005 Safari 25FB. The water heater is an Atwood Gas, Model number G6A-8E.

When the switch in the bathroom is turned on, the red light comes on and I can hear the igniter firing, but the heater does not light. I went outside while SuEllyn tried it and I could see the igniter spark. I cleaned to gas supply orifice and the gas burner tube. I cleaned all of the electrical connections. I have checked every fuse that I can find. It still does not work.

What I think is happening is that the solenoid valve is not opening the gas valve, and therefore no gas is getting to the burner.

Here is a picture of Lucy's water heater. Any suggestions on repair?

Thanx, Brian
Hallo I had a very simular problem and it turned out the solenoid it's self had a broken wire. I took it the solenoid off the gas valve and tuuk it apart and I found the broken wire in the coil and repaired it. It has been working fine for the last 16 years. If you have an ohm meter measure the continuity of the coil. I don't remember the ohms value but it should read some resistance and not an open circuit. If it is open circuit take it apart and repair the broken wire. Good luck nm1oqrz

nm1oqrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #31
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Have you tried to contact the previous owner about some tips to light it?

If the gas line has been empty, it will take a while for the propane to get to the heater. You might try lighting the stove (and/or furnace) to move propane through the lines.

You may need a thermocouple—that's the first thing to look for at a gas appliance when it doesn't light after trying the suggestions you have gotten already.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member
1988 29' Excella
Browns Mills , New Jersey
I love airforums! It is my "go to" place for AS info and you never fail me!! You can't remember all the tricks to fixes, the knowledge on here is priceless. I just had an issue getting my hot water heater started for the beginning season. The light tap on the solenoid, like suggested here did the trick! I guess we just had to "wake it up" from its winter nap. Thanks again.

Sandi & Bob is offline   Reply With Quote