Old 05-17-2010, 11:15 PM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Lucy has hot water again! You don't realize how important hot water is when Airstreaming.

Yesterday, we were in Colorado Springs. We went by the Camping World there. They were not very sympathetic to our plight. They said that they could take a look at it in about ten days. They did not have the solenoid valve that we thought that we needed.

This morning, we headed up to Denver, and visited Windish Airstream in Lakewood, Colorado. They told us that they could take a look at Lucy in About three weeks. The didn't seem real interested in helping a passing through Airrstreamer. They did refer us to another close by RV service facility.

We took Lucy over to Steve Casey's RV in Wheat Ridge. They put an RV tech right on Lucy's problem. The solenoids were working, but the valve itself was jammed in the closed position. The tech could make it work by removing the power wire to the solenoid valve and tapping it three or four times to the power connection with the water heater switch in the 'on' position. The water heater would fire off.

We decided that since we are in the middle of a month long trip, we had them replace the solenoid valve with a new one. They had the correct valve in stock. Lucy was out of there and on her way in less than two hours.

We headed on up to Cheyenne, Wyoming, where we are spending the night. We are looking forward to a nice hot shower.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, what a hassle trying to get an RV repaired while on the road. Glad to hear that some-one was able to help you out and fix it.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:05 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
nice to hear that the hot water is back. bravo to Steve Casey's RV in Wheat Ridge
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:03 AM   #18

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Lucy has hot water again! You don't realize how important hot water is when Airstreaming.

Yesterday, we were in Colorado Springs. We went by the Camping World there. They were not very sympathetic to our plight. They said that they could take a look at it in about ten days. They did not have the solenoid valve that we thought that we needed.

This morning, we headed up to Denver, and visited Windish Airstream in Lakewood, Colorado. They told us that they could take a look at Lucy in About three weeks. The didn't seem real interested in helping a passing through Airrstreamer. They did refer us to another close by RV service facility.

We took Lucy over to Steve Casey's RV in Wheat Ridge. They put an RV tech right on Lucy's problem. The solenoids were working, but the valve itself was jammed in the closed position. The tech could make it work by removing the power wire to the solenoid valve and tapping it three or four times to the power connection with the water heater switch in the 'on' position. The water heater would fire off.

We decided that since we are in the middle of a month long trip, we had them replace the solenoid valve with a new one. They had the correct valve in stock. Lucy was out of there and on her way in less than two hours.

We headed on up to Cheyenne, Wyoming, where we are spending the night. We are looking forward to a nice hot shower.

Brian

Glad to hear you're back in hot water again!!! Oops...you know what I mean.

Thankfully you found someone to help you.

Regards,

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Glad to hear that you got some help from a service shop, although sad what you had to go through.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:14 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Thanks for the update, Brian.
If it helps any, you have added to our knowledge base.

John
Old 05-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Birmingham , Michigan
It is truly a shame that an Airstream dealer wouldn't take the time to help you out. Makes me think twice about the AS dealer network. Shame on them.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:20 PM   #22
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
I ma not suprised by the reception you received in Lakewood. I had pretty much the same attitude when I had my accident less than 5 miles away.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:26 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
It's good to learn that things finally worked out for you.

I will make a special mental note to never do any business with Windish Airstream in Lakewood, Colorado.

If THIS is what I can expect from the Airstream dealership network, I 'guarantee' they will not like meeting me.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:32 PM   #24
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Airstream of Spokane is a polar opposite. They are great!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Not surprised you got blown off by Windish, but by not going there you didn't have to take the risk they'd break something else while fixing the water heater. Glad it worked out.

Gene
Old 06-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
SOUTH ANHERST , Ohio
Question
all i am new to the airstream family, i own a 1972 argosy and would like to get the hot water heater running . Have tried to lite and can not get it started .
Need help please advise??
When i tried to light the hot water heater , i turned the knob to pilot and tried to light ! But did not hear the propane or smell it . Need hepl getting the hot water heater going .
Thanks all george
Old 06-25-2011, 07:33 PM   #27
x

XXXX , XXXX
George when you turned the knob to pilot did you depress the knob while trying to light? You need to press down on the knob and hold it for 30 seconds to a minute aftre the pilot has light.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:35 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
1. Gas in the tank?
2. Gas to the shut off?
3. Shut off turned on?

Mine was a 1976. I didn't even try it, I just pulled it and installed a new one. I didn't want the risk and hassle of messing with a 35 year old gas fixture. Mine was easy to replace. Did it sitting on a squat stool. Not like changing out the air conditioner.

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote