Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2006, 10:05 AM   #1
tracker

1969 23' Safari
crescent city , California
water heater/furnace combo

Has anyone read about or worked with a combination water heater and furnace? I saw what I thought was one omthe internet but now I can't find it . Was I dreaming? Carl
tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:25 AM   #2
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
The one I know about is called the Twin Temp made by Precision Temp for theVAP's Ambassador Project.

It looks like a real quality product and we'll talk about it a lot more in upcoming shows as I learn more about it.

I know they also make the RV-500 instant water heater that people rave about.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I've been looking but can't find it - there is a guy who makes a trailer heater using a small radiator/heater core and a small 12 volt fan. He uses hot water to transfer heat through the heater core and into the room.
If I can find it I'll post it here.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
If you look at posts by "Lewster" you should finds some threads that discuss this.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
probably looking for this one - RV Hydronic Heating System

There are some good threads on these forums with other links and some folks have described some in-floor Airstream projects, too.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
That's it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leipper
probably looking for this one - RV Hydronic Heating System

There are some good threads on these forums with other links and some folks have described some in-floor Airstream projects, too.
That was the link, thanks. I thought I had bookedmarked it long ago, but couldn't find it.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
I am switching to diesel in the rebuild of my Argosy and am currently installing the hydronic heating system.

Shown (with the beer can for relative size) is the Webasto coolant heater which first pumps the heated coolant through the Indel water heater, then through the three Cozy fan-coil units made by Vehicle Systems of Colorado.

The coolant also passes through a small expansion tank, not shown, on it’s return to the Webasto.

I am expecting the system to be virtually silent and to have the gentleness of radiant heat, as opposed to the hot/cold quality of gas fired heat.

Sergei
Attached Images

SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:39 PM   #8
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
That is awesome Smokeless.

Can't wait to follow your progress.

Those heat exchangers are the same ones that came with the Twin Temp. Nice little units.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:59 AM   #9
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Thanks: I don't even have my brand-new Safari yet, and already I want to make this mod! That is one slick setup, for sure.
-jd.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:33 PM   #10
tracker

1969 23' Safari
crescent city , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe
I am switching to diesel in the rebuild of my Argosy and am currently installing the hydronic heating system.

Shown (with the beer can for relative size) is the Webasto coolant heater which first pumps the heated coolant through the Indel water heater, then through the three Cozy fan-coil units made by Vehicle Systems of Colorado.

The coolant also passes through a small expansion tank, not shown, on it’s return to the Webasto.

I am expecting the system to be virtually silent and to have the gentleness of radiant heat, as opposed to the hot/cold quality of gas fired heat.

Sergei
Great pics, can this system be used to provide potable water as well as heat? Carl.
tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:04 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Mulino , Oregon
Need a internet reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe

Sergei
Sergei,
This system lookd way cool! I googled your supplier but did not find a hit, so would you please post the URL for those of us who are interested?
Thanks!
WJ
wlj1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
WJ, Carl:

The diesel part of my project started last May when I wondered out loud on the forum about whether a diesel powered trailer was possible.

You can follow the discussion here:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ler-23048.html

Member WESTFALIA suggested that I contact a fellow member of his Volkswagen Bus Club, who worked for a company making hydronic heating systems for large motor homes. Bill Moxon is his name.

Bill assured me that my idea was workable and offered to help in any way that he could.

He meant it. During June and July I’ll bet he answered dozens of emails from me and patiently got me to understand how what I was embarking on worked.

I don’t think I could have done this without him. This chance meeting is again a sterling example of how interesting this forum can be.

Everything was researched on the Internet. I compared countless alternatives, and assembled the component parts from various sources.

I got the WEBASTO TLS 17 coolant heater from an Ontario dealer serving the trucking industry.

The Italian made ISOTEMP water heater I bought over the Internet, from Florida. (The American importer tried to force me to deal with their useless Canadian distributor but I raised hell over that).

I bought the three fan-coil heaters from Bill’s firm, Vehicle Systems. All the advice he freely gave was not conditional on buying anything from him. Until near the end, I did not even realize that his firm made the fan coil units.

I also got a two-way valve (to isolate the heaters from the main system during the summer) and a couple of hose fittings from Vehicle Systems.

Bill’s co-worker David Haynes also got involved, making me a splendid schematic of my layout, which I can follow to easily plumb the system.

The 3/4” coolant hose and heater control valves I got from a local small town auto supply.

I got lucky with the expansion tank needed. A local rad man had years ago made an overflow bottle for a Volkswagen out of brass. He still had it and gave it to me for only thirty bucks.

The cost for everything was around $1600.00.

Carl, the water heater is 6 gallons and is ordinarily used in the marine world. Usually, the hot coolant from the boat’s diesel motor flows through a heat exchanger in the water heater, thereby making your potable water hot.

In my case, the WEBASTO takes the place of the diesel motor, heating the coolant, which then circulates through the water heater and then the space heaters.

The usual application for these German made heaters is to pre-heat diesel truck engines and often, as well, to heat the sleeper cab.

The Webasto uses 1/16 gallon per hour

The trailer body around the fuel entry is to be painted black so the filler cap will disappear into the bodywork, so to speak.

Still, I may have the world’s only Airstream Argosy with a diesel fuel spout.

Sergei

Attached Images

SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote