Old 07-07-2016, 07:15 PM   #15
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Naw, I am not nearly critical enough. I have no idea what day my Airstream was built on but it is now and always has been just perfect. Things have broken for sure. I have put 130,000 kilometres on it. I get them fixed and camp on. (Just reminded myself that it probably should have new tires.)

Old 07-07-2016, 08:05 PM   #16
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
The cost for customer happiness, qc and general improvement must be very high, they can save mony by doing correctly the first time. Some oners live far and it is a burgen to get back to thrpe factory.

2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:40 PM   #17
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
It was just a mistake.

Chances are one tech installed the sensor, and another tech installed the interior wall skin and forgot to pull the sensor through.

I have an unused thermostat wire in my trailer where I made a similar error.

I didn't find my error till well after finding the wire was beyond practical, and the trouble. Like your repair I just ran a new one into a different location. Problem fixed.

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:44 PM   #18
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
By the way, unlike a car assembly line, these trailers are not built in a day.

That said, your trailer probably was built on a Friday, maybe a couple a few of them, and likely a few other week days.

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:36 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
niceville , Florida
I am certain that AS also builds into the unit cost an average amount of warranty work hours/parts. So don't think that because you are in the service bay, getting work done that they are losing money.

To be clear I believe AS makes a product that FAR. Surpasses all the SOB's out there. I would not have bought it, if I didn't believe that.

However, I guess I wanted to not be surprised by things like my ac sensors inside walls, incorrectly installed and no one except the customer notices.?!

I heard the AS CEO mention iconic American brands, like Harley Davidson. Harley almost failed! A big part of that was quality control, and management of the details.

If they don't really make QC their number one issue, then they will eventually lose the dominance they currently hold.
I want to have my trailer in great shape, for many years. Even give it to my kids, so I am counting on a well made product.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:00 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Even though warranty repairs are figured in to the price of a new trailer, I personally think this is a bad business model.
Do a shoddy job building them and expect your customers to deal with it?
What a terrible approach!
Seems like it would be less expensive to do it right the first time.
Obviously there isn't much in the way of quality control or systems checks.
No check lists-
No seeing if everything works properly or is installed properly-
It's partially out own fault for continuing to buy these overpriced half-built trailers.
As long as they sell 65 trailers per week and are behind on production they have no incentive to improve quality.
It is a shame that the situation is what it is.
It is a shame that none of the top executives here all the ranting about poor quality on forums like this.
It is a bigger shame that maybe executives know and are not making positive change.
This is indicative not only of Aitstream and Thor, but of the RV industry as a whole.
Thor and Forest River have more than half of the entire RV market.
Forest River is even worse than Thor.
We owned a Forest River trailer prior to the Airstream.
I expect with Thor's acquisition of Jayco it might get worse before it gets better.
Competition makes quality.
Thor has no competition- bought the competition-
I really didn't know or understand how it all works until I had bought 2 trailers.
When I figured it out I was extremely disappointed and let down.
This trailer is the most expensive thing I have ever bought in my life.
If Toyota or Nissan built cars like Thor and Forest River built trailers they would be out of business.
Even the dealer and people at Airstream use the fact the trailers are largely hand built as an excuse for all the production mistakes and poor quality workmanship.
That is the very reason I think the trailers should be of higher quality and have less flaws/faults.
I think it is ridiculous that they build them expecting you to take it to a dealer 5 hours away and leave it or take it to Jackson Center 12 hours away to fix things that should have never been wrong.
Who has time off work or gas money for that?
My Toyotas cost 1/3 as much and have had 0 quality control issues.
My Nissans cost 1/4 or 1/5 as much and have had far less issues.
My current Nissan has been the worst car I have ever bought, but has still managed to last 18 years and may still have lots of life in it. It only broke down once in all those years in March 2016.
All said, Thor is a notch above Forest River in quality control, but that really ain't saying much.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:54 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Why the comparison to Toyotas or Nissan; the only thing they have in common is wheels and suspension, sometimes a steel frame. From there up it's a completely different product. Better to compare to other rv's.

We feel pretty good about our Airstream. It was delivered beautifully assembled and none of the original equipment has failed in over 1,000 night camping and extensive travel. We maintain it with routine inspections and service, if something needs fixing we fix it. If we don't like a feature, we change it to suit us. Very happy with our Airstream.

My buddy bought a new Tiffin MH ($) and took it back to the factory with 164 defects under warranty. He was advised they can't do quality control during assembly, it would take forever to build the product. Quality assembly is left to the factory worker, each trained and expected to do their job well.

For him and his Tiffin that didn't work so well, for us and our Airstream it did. Such is the nature of hand-built recreational campers. Much of it is left to the dealers to inspect and correct problems found (as they are paid to do) and us to ensure it is done before accepting the rv.

We've been around too many campgrounds and campers to believe factory defects are unique to Airstream. And seeing these issues makes us feel very, very good about our camper.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:27 AM   #22
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
What goes around.....stays gone.

Posted in 2007.....

A LITTLE HISTORY….. MY WIFE SANDRA AND I HAVE BEEN STREAMING SINCE 1989. OUR FIRST WAS A 1963 22 FT. SAFARI. (kind of wish now it was still sitting on the pad) WE PURCHASED OUR 2003 25' CLASSIC IN JUNE OF 2004. BUILD DATE FEB. O3. NOW FOR THE GOOD STUFF.....

ITEMS NOTED BEFORE TAKING DELIVERY THAT WERE FIXED BY THE DEALER.

1) BOTH FRONT SEGMENT PROTECTORS SCRATCHED AND DENTED.

2) REAR BUMPER COVERS CRACKED.

3) ACCESS DOOR UNDER BATHROOM SINK WOULD NOT OPEN, REPAIRED BUT SIEZED SOLID AGAIN BY THE TIME WE GOT HOME FROM THE DEALER.

4) PANTRY SLIDE-OUT OFF BOTH TRACKS, REPAIRED BUT FAILED AGAIN WHEN LOADED ON OUR FIRST TRIP. Took pantry out, removed slide tracks, removed all ball bearings and divided equally between tracks, AS sent replacement tracks, holding as spares until needed.

NOW FOR THE Q/C AND PDI STUFF... IT'S IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT ALL CONCERNS LISTED WERE REPAIRED BY MYSELF. THE SELLING DEALER HAD CLOSED.

1) THREE OF THE CLEARANCE LIGHT BULBS.

2) TWO STORAGE COMPARTMENT LIGHT BULBS.

3) TWO SCREEN DOOR PROTECTOR SCREWS MISSED THEIR MARK.

4) BAD VIBRATION IN LEFT FRONT SPEAKER, AGAIN MOUNTING SCREWS MISSED THEIR MARK. SCREWS REPLACED WITH VELCRO TAPE. CLOSE OUT PANEL NOW EASILY REMOVED.

5) WATER PUMP FAILURE CAUSED BY A SEPARATED WIRE INSIDE THE INSULATION WHERE WIRING ENTERS THE PUMP HOUSING….. FAILURE OCCURRED ON OUR FRIST CAMPING TRIP.

6) A MULTITUDE OF PINHOLES IN ACCORDION SHADE OVER SINK.

7) WATER LEAK AT SHOWER MANIFOLD CAUSED BY COLD WATER LINE BEING TOO SHORT.

8) THREE PLASTIC LATCHES FOR CLOSET DOORS AND TWO STORAGE COMPARTMENTS INSTALLED POORLY, MISALIGNMENT, CAUSING LATCH FAILURE.

9) STOVE IGNITER KNOB CRACKED/FAILURE.

10) BATHROOM MIRROR LATCH.

11) … HOLD DOWN SCREWS FOR CONVERTER MISSED THEIR MARK.
SLOPPY/NOISEY WATER PUMP INSTALL & WIRING. INSTALL RUBBER ISOLATION MOUNTS, RE-ROUTE AND SECURE WIRING HARNESS.

12) WATER HEATER<> THERMOSTAT NOT CALIBRATED<>SCALDING TEMP.

13) FRIDGE INTERIOR LIGHT INOP, SWITCH ARM CRACKED

14) KITCHEN SINK SPRAY HANDLE CRACKED,LEAKING WHEN USED.

15) CONSTRUCTION DEBRIS FOUND THRU-OUT TRAILER. BIC LIGHTER & CANDY WRAPPER UNDER RUG IN STREETSIDE REAR COMPARTMENT.

16) AC SHROUD, SKYLIGHT, FF VENT ALL CRACKED AT SCREW MOUNT HOLES FROM IMPROPER INSTALL.

17) BLACK TANK VENT LEAKING, POOR INSTALL/CAULKING. MISSING SCREWS.

18) WATER LINE FITTING UNDER BATHROOM SINK CROSS-THREADED, CRACKED, LEAKING.

19) FILIFORM CORROSION

20) CLEARCOAT PEALING FROM ENTRY DOOR HINGES AND BATTERY DOOR SURROUNDS.

AIRSTREAM DID SEND US THE NECESSARY ITEMS TO MAKE THE REPAIRS ON SOME ITEMS:
WATER PUMP, SHADE, LATCHES FOR CLOSET AND STORAGE DOORS. NEW
DOOR FOR BATHROOM ACCESS, SLIDE FOR PANTRY.
OTHER NECESSARY ITEMS PURCHASED FROM CAMPING WORLD.
I NEVER RECEIVED A CSI REPORT FROM THE FACTORY, OR ANY FOLLOW-UP AT ALL.
THE FACTORY QC WAS LACKING, BUT THE DEALER MUST ASSUME SOME OF THE RESPONSIBILITY FOR A VERY POOR PDI. WELL I GUESS THAT JUST ABOUT COVERS IT, EXCEPT TO SAY I WAS MORE THAN A LITTLE DISAPPOINTED IN THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE!

POI...."Cloudsplitter" has stayed "fixed" pretty well. It will be our last AS.

Bob

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:42 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Why the comparison to Toyotas or Nissan; the only thing they have in common is wheels and suspension, sometimes a steel frame. From there up it's a completely different product. Better to compare to other rv's.

We feel pretty good about our Airstream. It was delivered beautifully assembled and none of the original equipment has failed in over 1,000 night camping and extensive travel. We maintain it with routine inspections and service, if something needs fixing we fix it. If we don't like a feature, we change it to suit us. Very happy with our Airstream.

My buddy bought a new Tiffin MH ($) and took it back to the factory with 164 defects under warranty. He was advised they can't do quality control during assembly, it would take forever to build the product. Quality assembly is left to the factory worker, each trained and expected to do their job well.

For him and his Tiffin that didn't work so well, for us and our Airstream it did. Such is the nature of hand-built recreational campers. Much of it is left to the dealers to inspect and correct problems found (as they are paid to do) and us to ensure it is done before accepting the rv.

We've been around too many campgrounds and campers to believe factory defects are unique to Airstream. And seeing these issues makes us feel very, very good about our camper.

I did make the comparison to Forest River...
The comparison was to say the auto industry as a whole would never get away with selling low quality.
The auto manufacturers would go out of business if they made cars that bad.
Even Tiffin, an RV brand that is well respected, has quality control issues.
Makes me wonder about Foretravel and some of the other premiere RV manufacturers-
The comparison was also to say that I could buy 3 Toyotas for roughly the same price as 1 Airstream trailer and never have an issue with any of them, as opposed to a warranty repair punch list of 60+ items on my Airstream trailer.
I am comparing what I know- what I have had experience with-
My experience with GM and Ford has been awful.
My experience with Mazda, Nissan, and Toyota has been great.
My experience with Airstream has been better than my experience with Forest River was.
All issues aside, this is likely my last RV.
I plan to have it for life.
I may also be on my last pickup (10 years old) and last car (3 years old).
I tend to hang on to stuff forever for financial reasons.
It's cheaper to keep her.
Maintenance per year on older vehicles is roughly 2 payments on a new one.
Tags, registration, and insurance are lower on older vehicles.
Still happily driving a 1999 every day-

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-08-2016, 07:39 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
http://rvdailyreport.com/opinion/rv-...to-the-bottom/
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:52 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Monticello , Florida
Too bad AS management does' t read the air forum. I guess ignorance is truly bliss! 😭
Old 07-08-2016, 08:35 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
They read it.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:43 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I do feel sorry for "new" Airstream buyers and their seemingly endless problems. I bought used. I let someone else deal with any initial problems. I got a great price for on trailer from a very motivated seller. Now 10 years old and showing normal wear and tear. If and when I do by another Aurstream it will be several years old for the same reasons. As beautiful as the new Airstreams are I would not buy one with the current QC problems and what I consider excessive high prices. Too quote the President of Airstream at the International "We are the cream of the crap".

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:07 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Was my trailer built on A Friday?

God move.
Someone else bought it first and dealt with the warranty issues.
Then you bought it after everything was corrected.
The second owner of my trailer will have no problems.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955