Old 04-24-2010, 08:29 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
That's an interesting report, and I thank you for digging it up.
But the question is still open, because in the study ....

"...the catalytic heater was operated in a closed room (ACH ~ 0) ... "

"ACH~0" means Air Changes Per Hour approximately zero. In other words, a completely sealed room.

The reason I asked for real world examples is because RVs are not sealed. They're extremely leaky (in terms of air infiltration). Even a modern tightly constructed house doesn't have ACH~0.

I was told by a catalytic heater manufacturer that they conducted the same test in an RV and could not get the O2 level below a safe level. That's why I asked the question. I'd like to see if in the real world, anyone has been killed by depleted O2 (Oxygen) or excessive CO (Carbon Monoxide) in an RV.

In other words, I know it's theoretically possible -- but is it practically possible?

Former full-timer | AIRSTREAM LIFE magazine | Tour of America (old blog) | Man In The Maze (current blog)

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:02 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
1964 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
enosburg , Vermont
Here's a vote for the old low tech. Travelheater propane. Wall mount 10" W, 30" tall' 5" deep. No elect period. Fresh air to burner through 2"dia hole in floor or wall. Exaust out top 2"dia vent. Cast iron burner, steel heat exchanger, thermostat, louvered front. Simple, reliable, quiet. Had 2 in a 10' x 14' hunting camp, comfe to +10 f. Have one in a 6 x 8 ice shanty, drive you out in a tee shirt on high. Have the original in our 16 ft '64 catalina camper, works flawless. I'll keep the furnace in the A S, but I'll add a Travelheater if I can find another, problem is they are getting real tuff to find.

putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:40 PM   #17

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Originally Posted by rluhr View Post

The reason I asked for real world examples is because RVs are not sealed. They're extremely leaky (in terms of air infiltration). Even a modern tightly constructed house doesn't have ACH~0.
It's a good question, and I always like to see evidence. I'll admit my feelings towards the catalytics are strictly feelings, for whatever that is worth When we got our Bambi we had one of those in it, and the PO said he used it as a hunting rig and had had it many years and never had a problem, but he always kept the dome open a crack.

In my 1968 owners manual it says to never sleep in the trailer without having the vent open a crack, and that's with a vented heater. Maybe they felt their aluminum tubes were so well sealed we'd all suffocate. I always keep the roof vent open a crack just in case they were right. Am I being paranoid?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:11 AM   #18
1972 Travelux Princess 25
Cobourg , Ontario
I'll tell you what. You seal your RV up tight and go to bed with a propane catalytic heater going full blast. I will do likewise with the windows open.

In the morning we will compare notes.

Living in the trailer park of sense, looking out the window at a tornado of stupidity.
Ganaraska is offline   Reply With Quote