Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2004, 11:29 AM   #1
73 Safari

1973 23' Safari
Ellijay , Georgia
Send a message via MSN to kadyacres
Validate dealer's advice on AC replacement on 73 Safari

I was quoted 2-3 hours labor at $85 per hour to R&R roof AC unit on a 1973 Safari. When I drop the vehicle off at the dealer to have the work done they call me back and tell me 6 hours because 73 year models are "special" and reuire a lot of modifications and customization. I had shopped this quote out to several other places previously and all quoted in the 2-3 hour range.

Has anyone heard of 1973 being so drastically complicated than other years in replacing the AC roof unit??

Thanks from North Georgia

Greg & Katy Baker

'73 Safari '03 Ford Excursion
Ellijay, Georgia USA
kadyacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 11:43 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

pinopolis , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadyacres
I was quoted 2-3 hours labor at $85 per hour to R&R roof AC unit on a 1973 Safari. When I drop the vehicle off at the dealer to have the work done they call me back and tell me 6 hours because 73 year models are "special" and reuire a lot of modifications and customization. I had shopped this quote out to several other places previously and all quoted in the 2-3 hour range.

Has anyone heard of 1973 being so drastically complicated than other years in replacing the AC roof unit??

Thanks from North Georgia
I have put seven A/C, on Airstreams from the 60's to 80's, it's a 3 hour job if that . I have had a 73 and a 74 , nothing special there. I now own a 82 Airstream Motorhome with two A/C , replacing both A/C just weeks ago it took till lunch time to get this job done.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:55 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Don't have a vintage, but if I were taking a car to a dealer for repairs, and they quoted me 2-3 hours and then came back with 6 hours, after I got something in writing, I'd contest it. 6 hours seems a bit long in my book for a seasoned pro for a job like that.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 05:11 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Only thing extra would be the plethora of rivets to be removed from the factory Armstrong A/C unit, maybe an hour extra tops.

I took my old unit off and took the trailer to Camping World for replacment, It took 2 hours and cost $85 or so labor. While it wasn't the neatest job in the world, it doesn't leak, and works well.
Terry
Old 04-13-2005, 09:45 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

what did you finally do on the replacement of the AC?
BrianWSNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 11:22 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

When the original AC went bad on my 1988 Argosy 33 I took the trailer for repair. The shop said they could not repair the unit and my wife was telling me she could not go without it. I authorized a replacement at a quoted price and when I went to pick it up they had added $200 on the invoice for servicing the old unit. I told them how upset I was with a bill to service a unit that was beyond repair. When we finished negotiating I got the new unit for less than the originally quoted price. Insist on talking with the service manager and tell him what will make you a satisfied customer.
G-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote