Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2017, 05:13 PM   #1
Luminous

1983 27' Excella
Vesuvius , Virginia
Upgrading to 2nd AC unit?

My 83 Excella has one AC and 30 amp service. If I replaced the 12v bedroom fan vent with a new AC unit, I know I would have to replace the 30 amp mainbreaker with a fifty, add a new breaker circuit, and replace the 30 amp shore power cable and plug with 50 amp. All doable so far.

BUT, how the heck would I route the new 120 line from the service box to the new AC unit?

Anyone done this?
LY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LY007 View Post
My 83 Excella has one AC and 30 amp service. If I replaced the 12v bedroom fan vent with a new AC unit, I know I would have to replace the 30 amp mainbreaker with a fifty, add a new breaker circuit, and replace the 30 amp shore power cable and plug with 50 amp. All doable so far.

BUT, how the heck would I route the new 120 line from the service box to the new AC unit?

Anyone done this?
All RV 50 amp service arrangements are comprised of TWO circuits at 50 amps EACH, which requires 6/3 cable with ground that has 2 hot legs, one neutral and one ground feeding in to a 50 amp tandem breaker. The tandem breaker (basically 2 - 50 amp breakers linked at the re-set lever) provide power to two separate 50 amp bus bars in your breaker box.

Your 30 amp service is ONE circuit off 30 amp capacity using 10/2 with ground.

There is quite a bit more required of you for a complete a 30 amp to 50 amp conversion than the list you provided.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:03 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
AS Lewster said, the 50 Amp upgrade has many steps.

I upgraded our 34' from 30 to 50 AMP. I also installed second AC. It is NOT to be taken lightly... do it right the first time.

I doubt your rig was built with the power and condensate lines installed... neither was ours.. so... The second AC power and condensate drain I ran on the inside of the skin and wrapped it in a weave loom to keep it tidy. Yes, it is on the inside, but it is clean...

Momma can now run everything at the same time... including curling iron and hairdryer... not a blip.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote