Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2009, 07:03 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Jackson County , Missouri
You guys are the BOMB! Thanks for your advice. Much obliged Jim & Vaughn.

That road trip down to Arkansas is gonna be Aug 13-17th to Ozark. We are heading down to the Harvest Music Festival. Bluegrass, hillbilly & afro-celtic funk (I'm not kidding.) <grinning> I got my banjo & my airstream! (But I need better airconditioning.)

I tried to find "Palamino Parts" yesterday online. Someone said they found a 15K Carrier there for $475.00. I didn't find that particular website, but I'm still looking. That is a decent price for said unit. I'm in for that.

page.crow
page.crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:28 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by page.crow View Post
You guys are the BOMB! Thanks for your advice. Much obliged Jim & Vaughn.

That road trip down to Arkansas is gonna be Aug 13-17th to Ozark. We are heading down to the Harvest Music Festival. Bluegrass, hillbilly & afro-celtic funk (I'm not kidding.) <grinning> I got my banjo & my airstream! (But I need better airconditioning.)

I tried to find "Palamino Parts" yesterday online. Someone said they found a 15K Carrier there for $475.00. I didn't find that particular website, but I'm still looking. That is a decent price for said unit. I'm in for that.

page.crow
You don't have to convince me about the eclectic mix in that neighborhood. I grew up about 20 miles away in Paris.

You are right about needing the AC. I got mine from Family RV, found them on ebay.

Let us know what you do. (Time is creeping up on you)
Old 07-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #63
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Page.Crew,

Call 800-297-5830. It was me that bought an a/c there for $475. Shipping will be about $100 as it comes by truck. I bought my fridge and a/c together from them. They put them both on the same pallet; saved me big time. I got the 15K Carrier AirV HP with heatstrip.

I actually knew that the banjo came from Africa originally. I gave my dad a hard time about it...he tried to play banjo.

I'm more of a rocker; got a red Guild S100 with dual humbuckers (look like a Gibson SG sort of....Slash from Guns & Roses played a Guild like mine) and a Fender all tube Hot Rod DeVille 60 watt 4x10 amp. If I can't blister the paint on the walls, it's not loud enough

My hero is Angus Young!

take care,
Old 07-07-2009, 07:49 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by szimmerer View Post
Got the 15K Carrier AirV High Capacity Heat Pump (standard profile) installed last week. Camped in Memphis, TN Fourth of July weekend as a test run. The Carrier performed excellently in 95 degree, high humidity, and full sun conditions all weekend. The condensation runoff the roof was minimal and not a concern at all. I am very pleased with this unit, it cools and dehumidifies the cabin in my 25' extremely well. I wish it had a 3rd fan speed (low) but thats about the only thing I think it lacks.

HI,
What temps were you seeing inside your trailer during the hottest part of the day ? I have been considering upgrading to a 15K a/c as well.Thanks Davis
WBCCI # 10219 Georgia Unit
AIR # 5131
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:29 AM   #65
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Canton , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
HI,
What temps were you seeing inside your trailer during the hottest part of the day ? I have been considering upgrading to a 15K a/c as well.Thanks Davis
I did not have a thermometer with me but my wife and I both prefer very cool and dry temps from our air conditioning both at home and in the Airstream. At night we like it on the "cold" side so we can use some light blankets. Our 25' stayed very cool and dry all day long even while in direct sun. At night I had to get up and turn down the temp control because it got too cold ( outside temp was in the 80s) and our cat looked like he was freezing. On Sunday, it was a bit overcast (partly sunny) but still very hot and humid. We had the temp control dialed back about a 1/4 from max and it remained very comfortable. It seems that once you hook up and get the airstream initially cooled down, this unit has no problem keeping it at an even and comfortable temp.

My guess is that this unit has no problem maintaining a 20+ degree
differential even in the hottest conditions.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:08 PM   #66
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Commerce , Georgia
AZflycaster, Have you ever ordered from the Family Rv Center. and what is there return policy? I need to buy my new unit as well!
mark m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:19 PM   #67
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I ordered my Air Conditioner from them. Everything was fine so I did not need to return anything. You should call them at 727-389-3440 and ask about the policy. They seem like real nice folks and should be able to answer your question.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:17 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sandpoint , Idaho
I have a 25' classic with the Duo-Therm 15K BTU heatpump. I bought the trailer last fall so there wasn't much opportunity to use the A/C, but the heat pump function seemed to work okay. In April I finally had the opportunity and the need for an air conditioner. The first time I tried the A/C function the compressor locked up. A replacement unit has been on order for 6 weeks now. Just once, I'd like to take my Airstream on a trip and have everything work. I'm approaching a year of ownership and it hasn't happened yet.
terryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:56 AM   #69
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Jackson County , Missouri
Hey Question guys:

Can I simply freon charge my old Armstrong 14 in my 31' Sovereign? Somewhere I heard it takes R-22, not R-12 or R-134. I grew up charging my own truck with R-12 and even have the tools around here somewhere. Does it take a different set of install nozzles to charge R-22? Do I have to go to a trailer shop to get this done these days? I don't have a vaccuum pump, but it's not tough to charge a can of freon in a system. She blew chilly last year...

I might not need a new AC just yet...

<humbly bowing>

page.crow

ps: Hey Jim! I got a Guild acoustic. Beautiful guitar. Yankee made. It's not a Martin-box, but I reckon it can keep up with someone who could pick that guitar. Banjo is a difficult instrument to learn, but gosh is it cool. Hero's? Mine would be Frank Zappa & Earl Scruggs. <grinning>
page.crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #70
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryg View Post
I have a 25' classic with the Duo-Therm 15K BTU heatpump. I bought the trailer last fall so there wasn't much opportunity to use the A/C, but the heat pump function seemed to work okay. In April I finally had the opportunity and the need for an air conditioner. The first time I tried the A/C function the compressor locked up. A replacement unit has been on order for 6 weeks now. Just once, I'd like to take my Airstream on a trip and have everything work. I'm approaching a year of ownership and it hasn't happened yet.
Did your selling dealer do a proper PDI?

PDI= Pre Delivery Inspection.

That program is designed to catch whatever the factory did wrong or incorrect, including problems that may have developed during shipmment from Airstream to your dealer.

If the dealer did a make shift PDI, then the door is wide open for ownership disappointments.

Perhaps you might consider a trip to the factory, for a once over inspection, or a different dealer.

Airstreaming is supposed to be "fun".

You can stay home and be miserable, without the trailer.

Unfortunately, most RV mechanics have never spent a night in one, and therefore have no concept as to the unhappiness and arguements they can create because of their ineptness.

Sad, but true.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:28 AM   #71
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Your going to need a vacuum pump, I let mine run all night.
Just 'adding a can' does not do the job correctly.
And the gauges you have, may or may not fit the new fittings.
R-22 is what I used to recharge mine.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:10 AM   #72
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Canton , Mississippi
Duo-Therm/Dometic Heat Pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryg View Post
Terry, when I was having problems with my Dometic A/C I received two bad heat pump units from Dometic over a four month period. One of the bad units had the same problem as yours. It worked in the heat mode but would not cool. After waiting four weeks for the third unit I called Dometic myself to see what was up. They were very unsympathetic and simply replied....."you just have to wait". I then cancelled my Dometic order and ordered a 15K BTU Carrier. The Carrier is now installed and working great. (see some of my earlier posts)

A Dometic Rep called me several days after I cancelled the order and asked that if they shipped me a unit that day, would I reinstate the order? I replied no and let him know how I felt about his poor product quality and lack of customer support. It may be worth a try to call Dometic and vent on them.

On a side note. I know a parts manager at a local RV shop who has been in the business many years. He told me that Dometic products and customer support has gone down the tubes. He has one customer who ordered an awning from Dometic several months ago (during the winter). The awning arrived after several weeks but Dometic has yet to send the attaching hardware. So the RV owner is furious and has no awning for the summer months. Repeated calls and complaints to Dometic have produced nothing. Based on my experiences, Dometic is certainly sending up red flags regarding their quality and support. Good luck.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:58 AM   #73
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Well, a couple of weeks later with our new Carrier 15k unit. Works like a champ! The other day at around 3:30PM (must of been around 104 or so), the temp inside was 76 and that was on low cool, medium setting. We're under 2 large shade trees which helps a lot. Day before yesteday in the AM (around 10), the inside temp was 69-70! We had inadvertently left it on hi-cool and coolest setting all night long (we're not staying in it yet).

The only downside is we have to use the controls on the AC itself. The wall thermostat does not control the AC any longer but will control the furnace. Given how hot it has been here (& the number of records broken!), that's a small price to pay to stay cool ...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote