Old 07-06-2009, 12:03 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Jackson County , Missouri
Thanks to everybody who is contributing to this thread. I am just getting ready to tackle the A\C on my 31 Sovereign. I <thought> I could just add freon to the unit. It ran cool, but not cold, last year. There is nothing but warm air coming out now.

I'm heading down to music festivals in central Arkansas this mid-August. I'm taking two QUEENS. They "must not glow..." is the command from up-high. <grinning>

Geez. I got work to do...

Naive (newbie) question: Does that Carrier AirV 15k unit fit in my 78 Sovereign? I wouldn't hesitate to install it to get the Stream COLD for my women.

Another naive question: I already have a new gas furnace on the floor under the oven. I kinda <like> the idea of heater-strip combo in the new A\C. Two forms of heat workable in my Stream doesn't seem like a bad idea. Is this common?

Best Regards,

page crow

ps: Hey Andy! I made it there and back to Ohio 2K miles on my first trip. Not a problem! Success on my first time out. <grinning> lucky me

Old 07-06-2009, 08:49 PM   #58
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Flex Duct

Gotcha Gunter. Here's the scoop:

The outside unit has a rectangular hole in the bottom that the conditioned air comes out of. The lip around this hole has a curved profile shape to it; like a stamping. There are (I believe) four holes in this lip through which you put screws.

They give you a metal ring that has the same curved profile shape to it with holes in the same places. If you hold the ring up to the bottom lip, the two match up perfectly.

The indoor unit has the same setup. It's located a few inches below the upper one.

OK, so the flexible duct (they call it a fabric duct in the Carrier directions) is made out of this aluminized looking fabric (air tight) and it has a thin layer of flexible foam insulation around it. So imagine a sheet of soft flexible foam, kind of like what you put under carpet, but much thinner, with an airtight membrane on one side. That's what the duct is.

The duct opens up into a rectangular shape. It's got peel and stick glue on the top half inch all the way around it. What you do is take the one ring, form the duct into its rectangular shape and stick it up through the ring. So what you have now is basically a rectangular shaped box, open on top and bottom, sticking up through the ring which you are holding in a horizontal plane. You peel the tape backing off and fold the top half inch of each side of the foam/fabric/flexible duct down and stick it to the ring. Do that all the way around.

So now you have the fabric duct like a vertical standing box with a hole in the top and the bottom, the ring is like a horizontal plane, and the top lip of the fabric duct has been folded over and stuck to the top of the ring.

OK, so you just place this up against the bottom of the roof top unit so that the ring matches up against the bottom lip perfectly and stick the four screws in. This compresses the foam between the ring and the bottom lip and makes your supply air seal. Coolness. Wad the rest of the duct up and shove it up into the outdoor unit.

OK, so now you mount the indoor unit. You then pull the wadded up duct down through the hole in the indoor unit. You will see that they are offset by 2" or so, and that's why you need the fabric duct.

What you have now is the rooftop unit mounted, the fabric duct attached to it, the indoor unit mounted, and the fabric duct pulled through and sticking out the bottom of the indoor unit. We're almost there.

Next, you take a razor blade and slit the corners of the portion of the fabric duct hanging below the bottom of the indoor unit. Then you just fold those four pieces back kind of like a big plus sign. Now, take the second ring they gave you (that's just like the first) and press it up against the lip on the indoor unit and stick the four screws in it. You've now got the flex duct installed.

Now, just take your razor blade and trim those four pieces of "plus sign" off. You probably had 5" of overhang past each side of the ring. I trimmed mine with about 3/8" left so that if I ever had to take it apart, I'd have enough left to be able to get hold of it and reattach it. I think if you trimmed it flush with the edges of the ring, you might not be able to get it pulled through and hooked up a second time.

The wiring is very straight forward. I think there are three wires; black, white, and bare copper. Just match them up color for color. Use your wire strippers, get about 1/2-3/4" stripped bare on both, twist together, and use a wire nut on each one. Now you've got it wired up.

Only thing left is to mount the cover. This is where guys mess up and say the AirSweep doesn't work. You'll see on the rear right side (facing the front of the coach) is vertically mounted wheel that has the edge at different heights. It's basically a cam. When you attach the indoor unit cover, you have to make sure you get it set just right so that this cam bears upon the little arm mechanism. It's kind of persnickety, and it might take you a couple tries. 1/8" off and it won't work right. It's helpful to have a helper here. You get it lined up right and hold it, then have the helper stick the screws in. But it's very very simple. You get it lined up right and it works great. Get the alignment off and it won't work. I like the AirSweep feature. What it does is blow air in about a 45 degree arc, from toward the floor to straight out along the ceiling, then repeats.

This may sound complex, but it's really very simple. I should have taken pictures. I'm by no means the HVAC King, but I the guy who was supposed to help me didn't show up, so I got tired of waiting and just figured it out.

It really is a nice a/c unit. I'm very happy with it. Going to get one of those Adco covers for it so the UV doesn't eat the cover like it did on my Delta T. I've had their tire covers for awhile and liked them, figure I'll get an a/c cover. If this one lasts as long as the old Coleman, I'll be a happy camper!

PageCrow,

It should fit your 'stream just fine. Standard hole is 14" by 14". Just unhook the indoor unit from the outdoor unit, unhook the wiring, and throw the old one off to the side. Clean up your roof area where the gasket was, then install the new like I said above. You'll be fine. It cools my 34' very nicely; your 31' should cool well too. Mine also has the heat strip. It won't make you toasty when it's 20 degrees out, but it works pretty nicely on chilly mornings that aren't cold enough to fire up the furnace. And it's not at all out of the ordinary....I carry two space heaters too just in case. Always good to have a couple heat sources.

Hope this helps,

Old 07-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Good stuff from Jim, as usual.

Gunter,

Great description on the duct. I didn't take pictures of that part either.

page crow,

Correct, it will fit just fine.

Photos of the rest of my installation at:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ead-40795.html

How about details on the Central Arkansas trip? Be sure to let me know when you are coming!
Old 07-07-2009, 06:01 AM   #60
Gunter

2000 35' Land Yacht XL w/2 slides
Greenville , Ohio
Great reply, very detailed. Thank you very much.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:03 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
You guys are the BOMB! Thanks for your advice. Much obliged Jim & Vaughn.

That road trip down to Arkansas is gonna be Aug 13-17th to Ozark. We are heading down to the Harvest Music Festival. Bluegrass, hillbilly & afro-celtic funk (I'm not kidding.) <grinning> I got my banjo & my airstream! (But I need better airconditioning.)

I tried to find "Palamino Parts" yesterday online. Someone said they found a 15K Carrier there for $475.00. I didn't find that particular website, but I'm still looking. That is a decent price for said unit. I'm in for that.

page.crow
Old 07-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by page.crow View Post
You guys are the BOMB! Thanks for your advice. Much obliged Jim & Vaughn.

That road trip down to Arkansas is gonna be Aug 13-17th to Ozark. We are heading down to the Harvest Music Festival. Bluegrass, hillbilly & afro-celtic funk (I'm not kidding.) <grinning> I got my banjo & my airstream! (But I need better airconditioning.)

I tried to find "Palamino Parts" yesterday online. Someone said they found a 15K Carrier there for $475.00. I didn't find that particular website, but I'm still looking. That is a decent price for said unit. I'm in for that.

page.crow
You don't have to convince me about the eclectic mix in that neighborhood. I grew up about 20 miles away in Paris.

You are right about needing the AC. I got mine from Family RV, found them on ebay.

Let us know what you do. (Time is creeping up on you)
Old 07-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #63
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Page.Crew,

Call 800-297-5830. It was me that bought an a/c there for $475. Shipping will be about $100 as it comes by truck. I bought my fridge and a/c together from them. They put them both on the same pallet; saved me big time. I got the 15K Carrier AirV HP with heatstrip.

I actually knew that the banjo came from Africa originally. I gave my dad a hard time about it...he tried to play banjo.

I'm more of a rocker; got a red Guild S100 with dual humbuckers (look like a Gibson SG sort of....Slash from Guns & Roses played a Guild like mine) and a Fender all tube Hot Rod DeVille 60 watt 4x10 amp. If I can't blister the paint on the walls, it's not loud enough

My hero is Angus Young!

take care,
Old 07-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by szimmerer View Post
Got the 15K Carrier AirV High Capacity Heat Pump (standard profile) installed last week. Camped in Memphis, TN Fourth of July weekend as a test run. The Carrier performed excellently in 95 degree, high humidity, and full sun conditions all weekend. The condensation runoff the roof was minimal and not a concern at all. I am very pleased with this unit, it cools and dehumidifies the cabin in my 25' extremely well. I wish it had a 3rd fan speed (low) but thats about the only thing I think it lacks.

HI,
What temps were you seeing inside your trailer during the hottest part of the day ? I have been considering upgrading to a 15K a/c as well.Thanks Davis
WBCCI # 10219 Georgia Unit
AIR # 5131
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:29 AM   #65
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Canton , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
HI,
What temps were you seeing inside your trailer during the hottest part of the day ? I have been considering upgrading to a 15K a/c as well.Thanks Davis
I did not have a thermometer with me but my wife and I both prefer very cool and dry temps from our air conditioning both at home and in the Airstream. At night we like it on the "cold" side so we can use some light blankets. Our 25' stayed very cool and dry all day long even while in direct sun. At night I had to get up and turn down the temp control because it got too cold ( outside temp was in the 80s) and our cat looked like he was freezing. On Sunday, it was a bit overcast (partly sunny) but still very hot and humid. We had the temp control dialed back about a 1/4 from max and it remained very comfortable. It seems that once you hook up and get the airstream initially cooled down, this unit has no problem keeping it at an even and comfortable temp.

My guess is that this unit has no problem maintaining a 20+ degree
differential even in the hottest conditions.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:08 PM   #66
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Commerce , Georgia
AZflycaster, Have you ever ordered from the Family Rv Center. and what is there return policy? I need to buy my new unit as well!
Old 07-13-2009, 07:19 PM   #67
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I ordered my Air Conditioner from them. Everything was fine so I did not need to return anything. You should call them at 727-389-3440 and ask about the policy. They seem like real nice folks and should be able to answer your question.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:17 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sandpoint , Idaho
I have a 25' classic with the Duo-Therm 15K BTU heatpump. I bought the trailer last fall so there wasn't much opportunity to use the A/C, but the heat pump function seemed to work okay. In April I finally had the opportunity and the need for an air conditioner. The first time I tried the A/C function the compressor locked up. A replacement unit has been on order for 6 weeks now. Just once, I'd like to take my Airstream on a trip and have everything work. I'm approaching a year of ownership and it hasn't happened yet.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:56 AM   #69
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Hey Question guys:

Can I simply freon charge my old Armstrong 14 in my 31' Sovereign? Somewhere I heard it takes R-22, not R-12 or R-134. I grew up charging my own truck with R-12 and even have the tools around here somewhere. Does it take a different set of install nozzles to charge R-22? Do I have to go to a trailer shop to get this done these days? I don't have a vaccuum pump, but it's not tough to charge a can of freon in a system. She blew chilly last year...

I might not need a new AC just yet...

<humbly bowing>

page.crow

ps: Hey Jim! I got a Guild acoustic. Beautiful guitar. Yankee made. It's not a Martin-box, but I reckon it can keep up with someone who could pick that guitar. Banjo is a difficult instrument to learn, but gosh is it cool. Hero's? Mine would be Frank Zappa & Earl Scruggs. <grinning>
Old 07-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #70
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryg View Post
I have a 25' classic with the Duo-Therm 15K BTU heatpump. I bought the trailer last fall so there wasn't much opportunity to use the A/C, but the heat pump function seemed to work okay. In April I finally had the opportunity and the need for an air conditioner. The first time I tried the A/C function the compressor locked up. A replacement unit has been on order for 6 weeks now. Just once, I'd like to take my Airstream on a trip and have everything work. I'm approaching a year of ownership and it hasn't happened yet.
Did your selling dealer do a proper PDI?

PDI= Pre Delivery Inspection.

That program is designed to catch whatever the factory did wrong or incorrect, including problems that may have developed during shipmment from Airstream to your dealer.

If the dealer did a make shift PDI, then the door is wide open for ownership disappointments.

Perhaps you might consider a trip to the factory, for a once over inspection, or a different dealer.

Airstreaming is supposed to be "fun".

You can stay home and be miserable, without the trailer.

Unfortunately, most RV mechanics have never spent a night in one, and therefore have no concept as to the unhappiness and arguements they can create because of their ineptness.

Sad, but true.

Andy