Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2011, 08:54 AM   #41
DAHarvey

2002 22' International
2004 22' International CCD
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Johnson City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Does your new FC have an exposed aluminum ceiling? If so, that's where the extra heat is coming from. That metal gets warm, and it does radiate into the interior. Airstream listened when they got complaints about the padded headliners, they fell, got dirty, etc, and the all-aluminum looked better, so they pretty much got rid of it. The trade-off is a warmer interior in Summer, and cooler in Winter. Also, that headliner was also an additional layer of insulation.
Of course, all this is assuming you had a headliner in your last Airstream, and don't have one in this one.
My previous trailer had the exposed aluminum on the inside as well. It was a tad smaller, however, it stay extremely cold even in 100 plus degree Texas heat. I do think with all the windows, skylights, and exposed aluminum that Airstream would test their product in real weather conditions. And keep in mind most RV parks that we go to, have concrete and no trees. It would as be nice if airstream would have pre-wired all units for two ac, knowing that a lot of their trailers will be going in and out of the Texas heat. Because we were able to sell the 13500 btu ac that we had replace with the 15000 btu, it only cost us about $900. But our issue is still not resolved!
daharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:59 AM   #42
Rivet Master

Our 2004 Safari with a padded plastic headliner and mouse fir walls is comfortable to 110 degree outside temp with the bottom of the line 11k btu Penguin. It pulls the interior temp down over 25 degrees.
It sounds like the problem is that fancy all aluminum look of the newer Airstreams further reduces the already minimal R factor. Ours looks ugly but we don't swelter in the summer.
We still shiver in the winter, however
Rather than upgrade air conditioners, is it possible to add insulation in some manner that wouldn't spoil the looks of that classy interior? Or perhaps add some kind of a sunshade for long term camping?
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:58 AM   #43
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I think your '04 Safari is comparable to mine. Small windows, no sky view windows, padded headliner etc. Perhaps the smaller units also have a larger proportion of the walls covered with cabinets. And a foot deep + cabinet has decent R value. The 11,000 BTU is adequate in these units. Not great in well over 100 degrees, but I've found it adequate.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #44

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We had problems with the 13.5K unit that came on our 27' 2001 Safari. First trip ever with the Safari in 100 degree full sun, we couldn't get temps below 85-89 until the sun went down. Parked next to me was the folks who bought my 30' SOB equipped with a 13.5 K unit. They were cool as cucumbers.

Took the trailer back to the dealer and finally Jackson Center. No problems found. I also found however no standard engineering factors from Airstream in regards to expectations from the A/C unit. Bottom line I added a large Zip-Dee awning on the street side of the trailer from end to end. I never had problems after that. Too much exposed aluminum.

When I purchased my Classic, I upgraded to the 15K AC unit. Up to this point we have never had any issue regarding cooling performance. I do however, continue to extend all the awnings out on all sides when out in full sun conditions.

Airstream did note that they have had situations where the refrigerator compartment was not sealed properly which allowed heat from the compartment to migrate into the trailer. That's why they asked me to go up to Jackson Center so that they could make that inspection.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #45

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Here is an older thread where we talked about A/C performance and some issues with the thermostat.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...-c-3500-2.html

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote