Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2016, 05:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Updated A/C

Recently after the 3rd a/c conked out on our 07 25' FB we had a new one installed at Jackson Center. There was no 13,300 btu in stock so a 15,000 btu was installed. What a difference it has made with keeping our trailer cooler. The 15,000 should have been on the trailer when it left the factory.

I had purchased a Yamaha 2400isHC to power the 13,500 and now I have an generator which will not run my current a/c. Adding the extra btu was worth it especially dealing with the hot temperatures in Texas.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I just had a new Dometic 15k A/C installed on my 2008 Classic 25fb. We used the old air distribution box. I've read changing out the starting capacitor may help out with generators.
We haven't had an opportunity to try ours out in hot weather yet.

Saw a 2015 25fb with the A/C ducting system at a recent Airstream rally. The owners explained the issues they had with the first generation ducts. Because the A/C is closer to the rear and the original ducts mesh screens were very restrictive all the cooling was push to the rear area. They have the newer directional air vents installed so they can close off the rear to direct air more to the front. They had the system on during the tour and while a little bit more quiet the air flow coming out the vents was very weak even fully open. The owners stated they use an electric fan to move the air around. I can't imagine driving in 90F weather with 90% humidity, pulling into a campsite and waiting for the trailer to cool down. While our old style is noisier I like sitting at the dinette and feeling a blast of cool air.

Do you boondock a lot around San Antonio during the summer? Didn't think there was any public land around there other than state parks.

Kelvin
Old 04-23-2017, 08:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Check out the Easy Start thread on the forum. It allows you to run a 15000 btu with a 2000 watt genny .
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:45 PM   #4
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe View Post

I had purchased a Yamaha 2400isHC to power the 13,500 and now I have an generator which will not run my current a/c. Adding the extra btu was worth it especially dealing with the hot temperatures in Texas.
The Micro Air EasyStart previously referenced is a GAME CHANGER, and very good news to you given your recent generator purchase.

I just installed one this weekend, and my 2000w Honda starts and runs my 13,500 btu unit beautifully. Your 2400 Genny will have no problem running your AC if you install an EasyStart. it's a fairly easy DYI job that takes a half hour if you aren't afraid of snipping and stripping a few wires, or an RV tech would have no problem installing it. MicroAir has specific step by step instructions you can download and print from their website. You then start your AC five times and the unit 'learns' your AC. Basically, it takes the starting amperage from as high as 40+ amps, to less than 20. Also seems to be much easier on the compressor. You can hardly hear it start up once the system is installed.

Order from www.microair.net, use AIRSTREAM for a discount code and you'll get $50 off. Also, order the $10 install kit, basically it's just the connectors and things you'll need, and is worth not having to drive around to get the bits and pieces your self.

Matteo, the engineer for Micro Air, is active on the thread and can answer any questions you may have. One thing that is updated since the thread started is that they ship just one unit (the grey one) which is bigger and weathertight, and the wiring harness has been lengthened so there is no need for splicing length of wire or other gymnastics required to get the wires in to the electrical box of your AC unit. It really is quite simple and easy.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...ge-165115.html
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote