Old 08-01-2003, 09:05 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

The installation is not difficult at all! I rented some scaffolding to get it up on the roof. The rest should be easy...you have the wiring, bracing, and condensate tube in place from the old unit. The toughest part is getting up on the roof. My 97 lb. daughter and I lifted it up with no problems. Inland Andy and the Factory offered valuable tech. support!

Old 08-01-2003, 01:33 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
price quote

The RV shop guy gave me a quote today to install a 13.5 btu Dometic Penguin with an airstream pan and all the inside and outside covers and other stuff and take out the old one for right at $1300. ...installation was $325.

I'll bet the Mr will look at some posts about folks who did it them selves now!!! We have installed window units and we hoisted a 48" ceiling fan on a pulley and installed it in the attic...so I'm betting we could do it.

How expensive was the scaffolding and do you just colt it together? I've been looking around my 4 acres for 2 trees we could drive it between and hoist it up on a heavy duty pulley I have but the terrain is too hilly and we have had so much rain we would get the thing stuck in the GA mud and have to have it dragged out!!!

I'm ready to do the Carrier with Inlands pan but I wonder if 12 gauge wire on a 20amp circuit is ok for the 15,000 unit. Will it suck more than that?

Has someone done that? I only have 30 amps and we need some for a very small electric refrigerator cuz we dumped the old gas one....and we only expect to use the trailer while parked with electricity.

I could rewire my box for 50 amps if I really needed to cuz it's rated to 70 amps for a residential distribution panel and I have done this before...a few times.

I appreciate all the help.

Old 08-01-2003, 02:07 PM   #17
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
If the AC is the only thing on the 20 amp breaker your fine. The 1-2 amp draw of a small refer is not going to take you over. You should have 3 breakers in the box. a 30 amp main and 2 20 amp circuits. One of the 20 amp circuits is for the AC the other is for the general use outlets.

Your power cord should be a 30 amp cord with the proper end.

If this does not agree with what you are finding in the panel then either there has been a rewire job or Airstream dids not wire the trailer for the AC. This last one is unlikley as the drain tube is there and they would not do one without the other.

One of the other things I will mention is that with a 36 year old unit your windows will not seal as well as a new unit and there will be more heat/cold transmission thru the ribs than with the new trailers. I mention this because of the sizing question eariler in the thread. I know that a new 13,500 BTU Duotherm worked fine on my sister-in-laws 65 Safari, it still had to work hard in the midday sun.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 02:49 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Scaffolding cost me about $50 for the weekend
Old 08-01-2003, 02:50 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
I don't know if this CB box is the one put in by Airstream. I have 4 circuits now cuz I added one [so I can ignor the aluminum one I left but plan to keep off unless I need it]. I have 20 amps to the A/C, 20 amps to the place where I will put an new charger of some sort...probably where the battery is...and one 15 amp for outlets....and the aluminum one that I try to ignor.

I have put in some new outlets that are just hanging there on the romex cuz we haven't built the cabinets yet where they will be installed. We just attached the new wires to the walls where they will be covered by the built-ins...if we ever get to the point where we have gas, water and dc electricity and can actually build them. that's what we want to do...that's the fun stuff...this systems stuff is getting old fast.

I am redoing the old dc stuff on a new panel cuz it's a rusty mess....and we can't figure out why the one brake light doesn't work so I'm string new wires to them too. May as well do this before building anything in.
Old 08-01-2003, 04:29 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
HOT DOG

After showing my husband all these A/C forum comments he said we can try to do it ourselves!!! He said he is not going to be an A/S wimp and that if other folks can do it then so can we. I wanted to all along!!!

I just had to show him enough comments from others so he could see that we could do it.
Old 08-01-2003, 04:32 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Go girl, you got the plan now.

Andy
Old 08-01-2003, 04:41 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
Oh, Andy...I'll be talking to you soon!!!

You have been so helpful...we are gonna get this thing done someday...I have the vision and the energy and fortunately the money...but I can't stand to pay for something I am able to do myself. When you install something yourself you know how it works and you can fix it and maintain it correctly. I sleep better knowing that.

We still think that all this stuff we are learning on the airstream is gonna help us on our sailboat someday!!! It's practice.

I also sleep better knowing there are such great folks to help as there are here!!!
Old 08-02-2003, 07:13 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

silly pan

Howdy lexy,
If you look at page #2 under posts "ac pan" by George,
You will see a picture of the pan that Joecj kindly sent along.
it will answer your questions what they look like.
He got the pan from Andy at Indland ,for the Duo-therm Penguin
BUT I tryed to get that pan and the lady there said it ain't available anymore, go figgrer,

Just a thought, you mentioned being rural, can you borrow a small Gravity wagon from a farmer?all you need is a few 2x4's and a piece of plywood to make a "scaffold", works for me.

and lastly, are you shure your old "AC" is truly bad?sometimes something simple can fix them.
Luck, George
Old 08-02-2003, 09:56 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
George.

Sorry.

New girls.

Wrong info.

We "do" have the pan for the Penguin.

Andy
Old 08-02-2003, 06:29 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
George...we just talked to the RV shop guy who is really helpful with us and he agreed to let us do all the "remove old unit and connect the new one" and we can come and he will lift it in for us with the fork lift...calling it a partial installation for a small amount. I thought that was most agreeable so I will order it thru him. He has met or come close to all the net prices for everything else we have ordered from him....and he is there to answer my questions. That's fair.

We actually want to remove the old unit so we can be sure it's reinforced as it's supposed to be.

I need to be sure that the Carrier 15,000 will work off 12 gauge wire on a 20 amp circuit.....does anyone know that for sure? I haven't heard of anyone putting in 10 wire and a 30amp circuit but I suppose in larger trailers they might. My house window unit in my pottery studio works great on a 20 amp....in fact it freezes up sometimes.