Old 10-06-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Chatham , Ontario
UNBELIEVABLE!!! The AC WORKS!

I could only get barely a hum out of it when we brought her home. Today I was cleaning the ceiling and took the shroud off and found that the fan moved freely. On a whim, I turned the breaker on, went to the control and turned it on. The fan started right up! I turned the temp down and couldn't believe my ears. The compressor was rumbling! It ran for a bit and then shut off. Hmmmm... While it was decompressing, I went on the roof and shot a bunch of WD40 into the fan shaft and loosened it by hand. Turned the AC on again and went on the roof while it was rumbling and kept squirting WD40 and turning the fan until it finally took off by itself ... slowly at first, and then finally full tilt!
I went inside expecting to just have a lot of noise and little else. Well, you could have knocled me over with a feather blowing in the frigid air coming out ot that thing!!

And it kept running!

It even did it again when I showed my wife after she got home from work!

I feel like I have won the lottery!!

36 years old and it still purrs like a kitten!

They sure don't make'em like they used to!

Now I have toclean and lubricate it well and try to find a shroud for it .. the one up there has a couple of holes in it, but that's a lot better than putting a new AC up there!

P.S. Anybody know where you can get a shroud for an Armstrong TR21-12 ?

Old 10-06-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossCamper View Post
I could only get barely a hum out of it when we brought her home. Today I was cleaning the ceiling and took the shroud off and found that the fan moved freely. On a whim, I turned the breaker on, went to the control and turned it on. The fan started right up! I turned the temp down and couldn't believe my ears. The compressor was rumbling! It ran for a bit and then shut off. Hmmmm... While it was decompressing, I went on the roof and shot a bunch of WD40 into the fan shaft and loosened it by hand. Turned the AC on again and went on the roof while it was rumbling and kept squirting WD40 and turning the fan until it finally took off by itself ... slowly at first, and then finally full tilt!
I went inside expecting to just have a lot of noise and little else. Well, you could have knocled me over with a feather blowing in the frigid air coming out ot that thing!!

And it kept running!

It even did it again when I showed my wife after she got home from work!

I feel like I have won the lottery!!

36 years old and it still purrs like a kitten!

They sure don't make'em like they used to!

Now I have toclean and lubricate it well and try to find a shroud for it .. the one up there has a couple of holes in it, but that's a lot better than putting a new AC up there!
WD-40 is not a good motor shaft lubricant. Use something designed for that purpose.

Your AC shroud is made in 2 pieces, small cracks can be fixed, or you can replace it, if you wish.

Andy

Old 10-06-2009, 04:45 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
WD-40 is not a good motor shaft lubricant. Use something designed for that purpose.

Your AC shroud is made in 2 pieces, small cracks can be fixed, or you can replace it, if you wish.

Andy
Yep .. I know WD40 isn't a good shaft lubricant, but it is a penetrating oil, which filled the bill tobay! Just like Duct Tape, it has it's place!
I'll get it all apart, cleaned up, and lubricated properly in the spring.

The shroud has a couple of 2" chunks out of one corner and is very brittle. UV effects, likely. Are these shrouds available?
Old 10-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossCamper View Post
Yep .. I know WD40 isn't a good shaft lubricant, but it is a penetrating oil, which filled the bill tobay! Just like Duct Tape, it has it's place!
I'll get it all apart, cleaned up, and lubricated properly in the spring.

The shroud has a couple of 2" chunks out of one corner and is very brittle. UV effects, likely. Are these shrouds available?
A fiberglass replacement is available.

Andy
Old 10-06-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
WD-40 is more of a solvent than a lubricant. Sure works great to losen things up but falls short on lubricating properties..

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote