Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2016, 11:27 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Irving , Texas
Two A/C units - Why one thermostat?

We have a 2014 27FB with two Dometic A/C units and one thermostat. When one A/C has a problem, they both go down. This has happened twice. Not fun when it's 100 degrees. Can I isolate the A/C units, each having its own thermostat. This makes better sense to me.
jrschro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:32 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrschro View Post
We have a 2014 27FB with two Dometic A/C units and one thermostat. When one A/C has a problem, they both go down. This has happened twice. Not fun when it's 100 degrees. Can I isolate the A/C units, each having its own thermostat. This makes better sense to me.
Not sure what you mean by when one has a problem they both go down.

They should be zoned with with their own separate temp controls. I have one thermostat too, but it has a zone 1 and zone 2. I can set each zone for A/C on off, one at a time, both on at once, heat in one A/C in another. Fan on auto, off, high, med, low for each separate zone.

Granted the thermostat is complicated and that the temp sensor isn't very accurate. But they both should work independently.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum! Sorry for the conditions you are having to endure.

See the recent comments on the following thread about re-booting the thermostat:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ld-151393.html

Just a wild guess on my part, but you might consider going through the relatively easy steps of this reset, to see if it helps.

You could also bounce up a level here, and check the various topics posted on this sub-forum:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427/

There may be other helpful threads.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I am with the OP.

Why not just a simple thermostat in each zone?

Sometimes the more simple solution is best imho.

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
If you dig into it far enough with the manufacturer, you will find out what you are calling a thermostat is really a control computer. Each A/C unit has it's own actual thermostat built into the PC board, and the computer just tell it what temp to work at.

And you can actually disable the thermostat in the board, and work on the computer's thermostat by disconnecting the white wire on the A/C unit's board, but don't do more than one of them, usually the front one closest to the computer.

I don't like the system either, but it is what it is, and was actually designed as a "bells and whistles" feature for the "discriminating" owner.....something expensive to replace when it goes bad.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:32 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The climate control computer has a separate sensor for the second a/c, usually somewhere near the second unit. The first unit uses the internal thermostat of the CCC to control it.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrschro View Post
Wondering if you tried resetting the thermostat per the earlier comment?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The climate control computer has a separate sensor for the second a/c, usually somewhere near the second unit. The first unit uses the internal thermostat of the CCC to control it.
This is true but only if the thermostat on the first unit's board is disconnected.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:59 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Irving , Texas
E1 Error

Thanks for the information. Both times the AC went out we had an E1 error on the control computer. We tried to initialize and reset the control computer and disconnect the wire. With the E1 error both AC would not work. The first time we had to have a technician reprogram the control computer. The second time we had to replace the circuit board on the number 2 AC. I guess I need to learn how to work on these things myself. They alway go out on Sunday when its 100 degrees.
jrschro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:31 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Cybertron , Illinois
Maybe your 50amp service is not maintaining the necessary voltage. Have you verified your power is good?
Ambot is offline   Reply With Quote