Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2008, 10:15 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Currently Camping , Pennsylvania
Question TwinTemp Jr. feasibility & new Suburban heater questions

I've been told that in-floor radiant heat would not work in a trailer because the flooring would insulate the heat away from the inside. How much truth is there to this? What kind of performance could I expect from a TwinTemp Jr? (PrecisionTemp.com: For Recreational Vehicles and Boats) I do know about the VAP podcast that installs one of these but I can't view it

Secondly, if a TwinTemp Jr would work, and I wanted to stay in below freezing conditions, would I still need an auxiliary furnace?

Thirdly, does anyone have any experiences with the Suburban SH furnace (the 'quiet' ones: http://www.rvcomfort.com/suburban/pr...naces/sh.php)? How noticeable is the noise difference between that and the SF or NT?

I know next to nothing about heaters, so please don't worry about being too pedantic in replies Thanks in advance.
BrockLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
There have been threads about several folks who have built hydronic systems for their trailer (search with keyword "hydronic"). RV Hydronic Heating System is a homebrew approach for this.

The TwinTemp the VAP used is rather expensive and it comes with heat exchangers and blowers. You might need to be aware of its through floor venting if you are using siding in cold weather. It is also an inline 'tankless' water heater if I understand right - should be significantly more efficient than a standard furnace and hot water heater.

The heat exchange and blower idea could be used to feed your existing tank heat ducts so an auxiliary furnace shouldn't be needed. That usually isn't that big a deal, anyway.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote