Old 01-10-2006, 09:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Red face turbokool

Hi all, I was just wondering if any body has purchased and installed a
12volt"TurboKOOL Swamp Cooler " on their airstream and how do they like it over 100 AC. I have an old AC out of commission and spend a lot of time in rural area with out power. So the wife is getting tired of being hot in and out of the trailer. Oh she also wants to know where to get nice toilit seat covers, you know some thing pretty! thanks

Old 01-10-2006, 11:16 PM   #2
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Gary, Swamp coolers are only efective in low humidity. I have one on my house and it works great here in Phoenix even when the temperture gets well above 100. However, when the humidity rises they are pretty worthless. I can not use mine in July or August because it is not dry enough and all it will do is blow warm moist air. The good news is they use much less electrisity then an Air Conditioner. The bad news is they use alot of water. If you are going to be in alot of very dry hot places great, if not I would reconsider.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I'm resurrecting this old thread because I am researching evaporative cooling options for an AS, since we live in a very dry climate where evaporative cooling is very common for most of the year when the humidity is lowó("swamp cooling" to us folks in the dry SW). It would be great for dry camping in the desert.

The product I'm researching is "TurboKool" which is an evaporative cooling unit that runs on 12v and can be mounted in a regular 14" x 14" Here's the link: TurboKool Advanced RV Evaporative Air Coolers Has anyone had experience with the product or similar ones? They sound pretty "cool" (sorry). A unit in a campground where we are staying at the moment has one and we're getting at look at it sometime before we leave.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:38 PM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Okay, I gotta ask--if y'all are in the desert, and the thing only works in the desert, who came up with the name "swamp cooler?"
I could see naming something around here that, where I have to wade through a swamp to get to the dumpster...
Old 07-13-2008, 08:40 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Chico , California
Somebody with a hot swamp?
Old 07-13-2008, 08:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Okay, I gotta ask--if y'all are in the desert, and the thing only works in the desert, who came up with the name "swamp cooler?"...<snip>...
Ha! Good question...not sure where the name came from unless it's based on the fact that the cooling process is based on water running over pads that then cool the air...(or possibly the fact that if household sized evaporative coolers are not properly maintained they can begin to smell like a "swamp"?)
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
We have had our trailer ove 2 years. The TurboKool (RecAir...old name so must be our cooler) wasn't working as well like I thought it should. PO says it worked great (bought the trailer in Ore.). Anyway 2 weeks ago my hips (new ones) are well enough now to finally venture up onto the top of the trailer for a look-see. The POs instructions were, "Just turn on it's water until you see it running down across the windows then turn the unit on!". I thought, 'What's wrong with that picture?' So I lifted the hood off and pulled out the 'filter'. It felt like an old tire for it was so caked with dirt and mineral deposits from the water. I wonder what my water tank looks like! Also the water was running over the side of the reservoir because the float valve was out of whack. Motor is fine so I soaked and cleaned...soaked and cleaned....soa....the filter and it is in good shape now. Everything is back together. We have warm weather but very smokey skies so it is difficult to stay outside. I turned it on and the TurboKool air is cool but I have not stayed in the trailer long enough to give it a rating,. I will post one soon. In the meantime here are the pictures of my maintainence steps beginning with a new water line. Old one was split.
Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream.jpg; TurboKool repair-maintainence 020.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	63607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream.jpg; TurboKool repair-maintainence 001.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	63608  

Name:	Airstream.jpg; TurboKool repair-maintainence 017.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	63609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream.jpg; TurboKool repair-maintainence 003.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	63610  

Name:	Airstream.jpg; TurboKool repair-maintainence 005.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	63611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream.jpg; TurboKool repair-maintainence 010.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	63612  

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:59 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
other evaporative air coolers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
I'm resurrecting this old thread because I am researching evaporative cooling options for an AS, since we live in a very dry climate where evaporative cooling is very common for most of the year when the humidity is lowó("swamp cooling" to us folks in the dry SW). It would be great for dry camping in the desert.

The product I'm researching is "TurboKool" which is an evaporative cooling unit that runs on 12v and can be mounted in a regular 14" x 14" Here's the link: TurboKool Advanced RV Evaporative Air Coolers Has anyone had experience with the product or similar ones? They sound pretty "cool" (sorry). A unit in a campground where we are staying at the moment has one and we're getting at look at it sometime before we leave.
Thanks TB for reviving this thread. The TurboKool product looks interesting. Unfortunately, we have fantastic fans in each vent. We primarily dry camp and need a portable evaporative air cooling unit like the Mightycool MW1 by Swampy !12-Volt Portable Coolers by Swampy.

Has anyone had experience with the MW1 or similar products? If yes, did it effectively meet your cooling needs?

Larry

Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Good Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Okay, I gotta ask--if y'all are in the desert, and the thing only works in the desert, who came up with the name "swamp cooler?"
I could see naming something around here that, where I have to wade through a swamp to get to the dumpster...
Hi Terry,

Made me laugh!

I grew up around a couple in western Arkansas. Limited utility most of the time, but still better than nothing. It comes from the water supply, aka the swamp, in the bottom pan.

Here in Little Rock, I drive through a cyprus swamp on my way to and from work every day.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:27 AM   #10
JJA
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Missoula , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
We have had our trailer ove 2 years. The TurboKool (RecAir...old name so must be our cooler) wasn't working as well like I thought it should. PO says it worked great (bought the trailer in Ore.). Anyway 2 weeks ago my hips (new ones) are well enough now to finally venture up onto the top of the trailer for a look-see. The POs instructions were, "Just turn on it's water until you see it running down across the windows then turn the unit on!". I thought, 'What's wrong with that picture?' So I lifted the hood off and pulled out the 'filter'. It felt like an old tire for it was so caked with dirt and mineral deposits from the water. I wonder what my water tank looks like! Also the water was running over the side of the reservoir because the float valve was out of whack. Motor is fine so I soaked and cleaned...soaked and cleaned....soa....the filter and it is in good shape now. Everything is back together. We have warm weather but very smokey skies so it is difficult to stay outside. I turned it on and the TurboKool air is cool but I have not stayed in the trailer long enough to give it a rating,. I will post one soon. In the meantime here are the pictures of my maintainence steps beginning with a new water line. Old one was split.
Neil
Neil, Curious if you'd be willing to offer an update on how things have gone with the TurboKool?

I'm looking at something like this too. Barely need a/c as I live in Montana and will spend most 90% of the time boondocking in arid areas. Doing a frame-off renovation on a '67 streamline...so I can still size water tank to carry plenty. More concerned about dealing with generators and gas than having a larger water tank and bank of batteries. Am I thinking about this right? Would you & others recommend this product?

project link: 67streamline.blogspot.com
Old 06-13-2015, 06:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I understand swamp coolers work well in dry areas. Will be interesting to see the other responses. Jim
Old 06-15-2015, 12:10 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJA View Post
Neil, Curious if you'd be willing to offer an update on how things have gone with the TurboKool?

I'm looking at something like this too. Barely need a/c as I live in Montana and will spend most 90% of the time boondocking in arid areas. Doing a frame-off renovation on a '67 streamline...so I can still size water tank to carry plenty. More concerned about dealing with generators and gas than having a larger water tank and bank of batteries. Am I thinking about this right? Would you & others recommend this product?

project link: 67streamline.blogspot.com
HAH.....I forgot that I had posted about my TurboKool. It's been 7 years since......we've had the Trade Wind 9 years now. Well. I got it running as it should be. Water fills the reservoir and a float shuts the water when the pan is full....so no more water running down the sides of the trailer. Good news is it WORKS...The air is much cooler.....but moist especially if the weather is humid. So one is cooled but kinda sweaty. As someone posted, "it be best in dry climates". The fan is noisy which doesn't bother me....I just turn my hearing aids off, but my wife can't stand it so we plan some day on an AC. Most of our camping is in the mountains our along the Ca. coast so we haven't made the commitment yet.

Neil

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote