Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #1

2012 23' FB International
Tyrone , Georgia
Trouble with AC / Comfort Controll II

Help
I have a new 23 FB International, AC is on the fritz and Its hot outside.
Comfort controll LCD is powered up and the Fan Blows. Compressor wont start.

The strange thing is the control shows it 32F inside when switched to cool mode and around the accruate temp currently 89 when on the heat mode.

I get this feeling that the control is kaput.

Any ideas?
streaminga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It does sound like a CCC2 problem. If it was the interior temp sensor, it would read 32 whether on heat or cool.
Are you getting any error codes? E1, E2, etc?
Have you tried unplugging everything and turning it off for five minutes or so? Not that I expect it to help, but it won't hurt.
Also, try turning the control to "auto"(not just the fan speed control), and see if you can fool it into working, at least until you can get a new part Tuesday.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
while i didn't try setting the unit to heat, i did have an inaccurate inside temp reading which kept mine from running the compressor. it turned out to be sweat on the line from the sensors that is in the inside shroud area.

there are two phone line connectors in there. one is for the temp sensor and the other is for the thermostat. my problem repeated a few times in the late afternoon in high humidity. overnight it would dry out and work normally.

you might try running the heat for a while (15 minutes?) to see if it makes a difference. i dropped my cover and disconnected the connector to dry it out. you'll need some mighty nimble fingers to pull this off because it is really tight in there. if you disconnect the wrong line you'll get an error code on the thermostat display.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
Have you tried to reset the thermostat? Turn the thermostat off with the switch on the bottom. Hold the Mode & Zone buttons in at the same time . In about five seconds or so, you should see a code displayed (I think F1 or something like that). Don't release the buttons yet. Turn the unit on and then release the buttons. Hope this helps.
Ron
Morgan guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:37 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It's been a few days now, have you gotten to the bottom of the great thermostat caper?
Old 09-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #6

2012 23' FB International
Tyrone , Georgia
Well... I found a RV dealer (Non Air Stream) that services Dometics about a mile away from my trailer site. They contacted Dometic on Tuesday and the result from this was Dometic sending a replacement CCS II which was recieved yesterday. They feel its that or the board in the roof unit or the data (telephone ribon) cable. So the easiest thing first is the CCS II.

Meanwhile back at the ranch the unit started to work again on it's own on Wednesday . Could it be self healing ? LOL

The dealer is suppose to show up today to replace the CCSII which of course is a 3 minute job.

This course of action seemed simpler than towing to a nearest Airstream Dealer which is about one million miles away in my mind. With that said I must pay for the onsite service call and Dometic will replace the parts. So that's a good compromise.

Only time will tell if the CCSII is the root cause.

My therory of the problem is that after the AC unit runs for some time in very humid weather there is some mositure that is making either the controller board or the connection of the data cable mess up and after some time of not running it dries out and starts to function again.

So for the current moment we have AC and are very thankfull for that.

Thanks for the support

Brian
streaminga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminga
Help
I have a new 23 FB International, AC is on the fritz and Its hot outside.
Comfort controll LCD is powered up and the Fan Blows. Compressor wont start.

The strange thing is the control shows it 32F inside when switched to cool mode and around the accruate temp currently 89 when on the heat mode.

I get this feeling that the control is kaput.

Any ideas?
My 2012 signature was doing the same thing. After fooling with the thermostat for a couple of days, I was finally forced by the heat to remove the inside cover and poke around the wires. I found the phone line not fully inserted and once it was snapped into place, all worked perfectly again. At least for now.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
The inside cover I am referring to is on the ac unit itself, about 6 screws. You need real small fingers once inside, or in my case, a handy kid.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Streaminga,

A loose phone line or the wrong size phone jack is the typical cause of this problem. Dometic specifies the following connectors:

B. CONTROL CABLE
1. The cable that should be used is a flat, 4-conductor telephone type cable.
2. The cable must be terminated with two (2) RJ-11-6C4P telephone connectors. Refer to the crimp tool manufacture
for crimping instructions.
3. The RJ-11-6C4P terminals must be connected to the control cable with the same polarity on both ends. Pre-made
standard telephone cable will not work. See FIG. 5 & 5A.

This jack looks very similar to a RJ45 or 12 and I know of at least two instances where Dometic authorized shops used the wrong jack. It worked fine right on install but after the unit was towed to a campsite the vibration caused the jack to back out and the compressor would not come on line.

The easiest place to look is at your wall thermostat and the under air shroud. If the jack fits loosely then it is the wrong size!

Good luck!
Old 12-18-2016, 07:18 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Naples , Florida
Thank you thank you!!!

I am having the same problem. 32f read inside. have reset, undone phone and blown on it, even took cover off and jiggled wires. that was the extent of my skills. I am post menopausal and in South Florida! I am HOT!! I will now do all the things listed here. I have a dehumidifier that I will also run. I will let you know. if all else fails, I will bring to Orlando RV tomorrow and play the "girl" card and hopefully get her fixed! I have to do what I have to do.

This Forum and the Airstream Addicts on Facebook have been invaluable in this venture. I am Solo, and have never camped nor been in an RV before 5 months ago. I have been on the road solid the last 3 months and have had every challenge possible, yet with all the support of this forum, Addicts and other streamers I have met, I have overcome. Surprisingly to every one who knows me and in SPITE of the challenges, I love this!! hands down best decision I have ever made!!Thank you !!

PS- I bought used and the roof unit had recently been replaced and wasn't sequenced properly and didn't work. took to Mothership and they fixed it. I am wondering if it will always be "special"!
ekm217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum! You tagged onto an old thread, so you may not get replies from previous posters. Your thermostat may need to be rebooted IMO. Check out the following current thread maybe:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...mp-160663.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote