Old 07-14-2009, 10:37 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1974 25' Tradewind
Apache Junction , Arizona
Trade Wind A/C Help

Hi, my name is Mike I'm new to the forum. I have recently purchased a 74 Trade Wind. I need help with information. I'm in the process of having a new Carrier low profile A/C installed. There was a non working Coleman on the trailer. I vaugely recall having read in the forum's that a drain tube was or is installed at the factory at manufacture? I'm trying to avoid having water run down the sides. But the shop tell's me there is no tube anywhere around the now bare A/C opening. What's right, no tube ever installed, its been removed, Can a new hose be put in? Any information would be greatly appreciated?. Thanks, Mike

Old 07-14-2009, 11:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesplace View Post
Hi, my name is Mike I'm new to the forum. I have recently purchased a 74 Trade Wind. I need help with information. I'm in the process of having a new Carrier low profile A/C installed. There was a non working Coleman on the trailer. I vaugely recall having read in the forum's that a drain tube was or is installed at the factory at manufacture? I'm trying to avoid having water run down the sides. But the shop tell's me there is no tube anywhere around the now bare A/C opening. What's right, no tube ever installed, its been removed, Can a new hose be put in? Any information would be greatly appreciated?. Thanks, Mike
You do not need a drain pan with the new Carrier.

Only on a very rare day, would water run off the trailer, from the AC, due to very high humidity.

All Airstream and Argosy trailers had drain lines installed since 1969.

Andy

Old 07-14-2009, 11:45 PM   #3
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Welcome to the forums!

The drain line should come from the front of the AC area and run down between the walls in front of the street side wheels. Mine has a few inches of hose sticking out from the bottom of the trailer.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Andy,
I understand there is an adapter that comes with the Carrier so you can attach a drain hose? If I can't find the factory hose, is it possible to run a new hose?. The low profile Carrier does not have the slinger to help reduce condensation, correct?. I would sure prefer water drained to the ground and not onto the sides if its possible.
Mike
Old 07-15-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy,
I understand there is an adapter that comes with the Carrier so you can attach a drain hose? If I can't find the factory hose, is it possible to run a new hose?. The low profile Carrier does not have the slinger to help reduce condensation, correct?. I would sure prefer water drained to the ground and not onto the sides if its possible.
Mike
A small 90 degree fitting comes with the low profile Carrier AC, that connects to the small cavity that collects the water.

There is a small fitting at the bottom of that cavity, that you must cut the end off of, then use the 90 degree fitting.

Running a totally hiiden hose is near impossible, unless the interior wall on the road side is removed.

But you can fish a hose within the shell to a rooflocker. From that rooflocker, you can run the hose thru a closet and down thru the floor and underbelly.

Andy
Old 07-15-2009, 02:46 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Andy,
Went to look at the A/C hole today. Its framed on four side by 2x2's. That fill up the space. Can lift up the roof a little and see forward but no hose there, just inner shell. Is this correct framming correct?.
I don't have a clue on when or who but in the framming, or if its supposed to be there. Should we take off a couple of the 2x2's and see if there is a hose in the innerspace nearby? I also looked for a tube outlet in the pan forward of the streetside wheels. No hole there. There is a black tube coming out of a hole 2-3 feet forward of the wheels but I assume thats for draining the water tank. And there are 2 clear plastic hose protruding for a hole near the rear streetside rear, too far to be the hose in question. So if all Airstream's and Argosy's have drain hoses since 1969 where's this one? Thanks very much for your directions on adding a hose if I can't find this one. Your help greatly appreciated.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy,
Went to look at the A/C hole today. Its framed on four side by 2x2's. That fill up the space. Can lift up the roof a little and see forward but no hose there, just inner shell. Is this correct framming correct?.
I don't have a clue on when or who but in the framming, or if its supposed to be there. Should we take off a couple of the 2x2's and see if there is a hose in the innerspace nearby? I also looked for a tube outlet in the pan forward of the streetside wheels. No hole there. There is a black tube coming out of a hole 2-3 feet forward of the wheels but I assume thats for draining the water tank. And there are 2 clear plastic hose protruding for a hole near the rear streetside rear, too far to be the hose in question. So if all Airstream's and Argosy's have drain hoses since 1969 where's this one? Thanks very much for your directions on adding a hose if I can't find this one. Your help greatly appreciated.
Are the 2 x 2's wood or metal?

If they are wood, they can get moldy. Change them out for metal.

Look for a small round hole about 1/2 size reaward of the roadside wheel. That's where a drain hose would be.

Sometimes that hose gets up into the underbelly.

That black hose could be for an AC, but it could also be for the water tank. Run a test and find out.

The two at the rear should be water pipe drain lines.

Andy
Old 07-15-2009, 04:52 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Andy,

I will get with the shop tomorrow again on the points you've made and let you know. Thanks for the help, I do appreciate it. One more thing, do you think even without the slinger( on low pro) I should have little if any water on the sides as you said before?

Mike
Old 07-15-2009, 05:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy,

I will get with the shop tomorrow again on the points you've made and let you know. Thanks for the help, I do appreciate it. One more thing, do you think even without the slinger( on low pro) I should have little if any water on the sides as you said before?

Mike
Mike.

You will have lots of water on the sides, unless you hook up the drain, then if done correctly, you will have none.

Andy
Old 07-15-2009, 06:42 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Andy,

Please refer to posting number 2. You say I do not need a drain pan with the Carrier and should have little or no water on the sides except in extreme conditions.

I'm trying to reconcile that posting with you most recent. Are you saying: I do not need a drain pan, but unless I have a drain hose hooked up, as you previously described, I will have lots of water running down the sides of the trailer?

Mike
Old 07-15-2009, 07:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy,

Please refer to posting number 2. You say I do not need a drain pan with the Carrier and should have little or no water on the sides except in extreme conditions.

I'm trying to reconcile that posting with you most recent. Are you saying: I do not need a drain pan, but unless I have a drain hose hooked up, as you previously described, I will have lots of water running down the sides of the trailer?

Mike
Mike.

Drain pans are not needed for the Carrier AC's.

The low profile has a water collector pan built in, and it must be hooked up to a drain line, as I previously explained.

The regular size Carrier's have the built in "slinger".

Sorry for the confusion.

Andy
Old 07-15-2009, 08:16 PM   #12
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Mike,
I will be picking up my trailer from storage tonight. I will try and get a picture of where my AC drain line leaves the trailer later. My tube is made out of a black plastic material.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:19 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
Here's a link to Carriers PDFinstallation manual for the Low Profile AirV
http://www.airv.carrier.com/Files/Ai...9-00469-00.pdf

Greg
Old 07-15-2009, 08:30 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Andy,

Please refer to posting number 2. You said I do not need a drain pan with the Carrier and should have little or no water on the sides except in extreme conditions. No mention of a drain hose needed.

I'm trying to reconcile that posting with your most recent. Tell me if I have this right: your saying I do not need a drain pan, but unless I have a drain hose hooked up to the Carrier as you described, I will have lots of water running down the sides of the trailer?. And the bottom line is if I don't find a hose(which there should be one) I will need to fish one down through the overhead, closet, etc if I want to keep the water off the sides. Wheew, I may have it?

Mike