Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2005, 03:16 PM   #41
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream6666
Silvertwinkie,

So pleased to entertain.

The offer is serious, though.
I thought you were kidding.

I'm very pleased with our Penguin 15k unit and I'm sure you'll be too.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 03:27 PM   #42

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
If this is the case, the park owner might have a space that would work better. I mean if the line she is own is taxed to the max and everybody's compressor comes on at the same time it is putting a drain on the fuse or breaker box to begin with and the park owner would be better off to allow the move. The owner might not even know if there is an overload on her particular circuit. Maybe I'm totally off.
I have seen this situation before. The folks at the begining of the loop had fairly good power and the further down you went the worse it became. I remember measuring 94 volts at my site. Problem was we were at a unit rally and the park was full. While the owner was informed of the problem, there wasn't much he could do over the weekend. The park was a former KOA, all underground wiring.

I had a situation in Destin Florida where I measured 105 volts. The site was one of the best ones in the campground. When I informed the front desk, the guy disagreed that this was a problem. Of course he already had my money and was quite willing to sell my spot to someone else.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 03:40 PM   #43
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
You might have the A/C repairperson check the voltage at your site and at any site that might be empty to see if it is better especially if he/she is there late in the afternoon when everyone's A/C starts kicking into overdrive. Then you can request a different site. This would be a free solution and would beat buying a patio awning that might not be welcomed in an rv park. You could still invest in the Autoformer if you plan to be in Arizona next summer, but at least you could save the repairs made this year until it arrived.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 03:53 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

More Audio Alerts

In addition to the aftermarketers offering a breakaway switch which offers an alarm when the lanyard is pulled (in case some... person pulls the lanyard as a "joke"), it would be nice if Airstream or someone else offered a plug-in voltage monitor which audibly alarmed when it was unsafe to run the AC.

A well designed unit would take into account the start-up surges of your own unit, and momentary spikes in the campground's loops.
joatmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 04:47 PM   #45
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
You could run the power through a large inverter/charger. Might cost a couple of thousand $, but you would always have clean, 120volt power.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 04:54 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
minnie you,
the owner knows...its called $$$$$$$$

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 05:35 PM   #47
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Airstream or someone else offered a plug-in voltage monitor which audibly alarmed when it was unsafe to run the AC.
they already do!

my dometic penguin has a red l.e.d. that comes on if the voltage drops to unsafe levels!

john
Old 07-12-2005, 06:06 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
they already do!

my dometic penguin has a red l.e.d. ..
Thanks John, but does it make any noise when it is red?
Old 07-12-2005, 06:09 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
You could run the power through a large inverter/charger. Might cost a couple of thousand $, but you would always have clean, 120volt power.
What is the benefit between your suggestion and the autoformer already mentioned?
Old 07-12-2005, 07:45 PM   #50
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by joatmon
Thanks John, but does it make any noise when it is red?
nope just a red light.

john
Old 07-12-2005, 08:32 PM   #51
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by joatmon
What is the benefit between your suggestion and the autoformer already mentioned?
You'd have a really heavy duty inverter and high capacity battery charger? Can't do that with a transformer.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 04:11 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Post Yea, except

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferroequine
I have a theory that now that I've polished the trailer, it should actually be a few degrees cooler inside than before, due to all of the heat bouncing back off it with the reflection -- sorta like the space wrap they put on sattelites.

Can anyone else confirm?
The "space wraps" are made from very thin sheets of GOLD. Its primary use was and still is for the discharge of static electricity.

In the very earliest days, the static discharge was due to the buildup on the satellites passing thru solar winds and, the resulting discharge of static electricity was extremely destructive.

Also

To properly cool an objection in space, you need to rotate the object at a specified rate of turn so that no one side becomes unduly hotter than the other. Other tricks are employed by the Space Shuttle when its cargo bay doors are left open in the extend position to act as a cooling fins.

ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 08:04 PM   #53
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert
minnie you,
the owner knows...its called $$$$$$$$
I was trying to be polite and give 'em the benefit of doubt. I figured the owner new and didn't want to put out the dough to fix it.

But changing sites might elliminate the problem for the rest of the season or at least until a more mobile solution could be secured.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 10:39 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

Oh well

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
The "space wraps" are made from very thin sheets of GOLD. Its primary use was and still is for the discharge of static electricity.
So much for my theory. Maybe I'll still "look cool" though...

Interesting information, nevertheless.
Ferroequine is offline   Reply With Quote