Old 07-11-2005, 11:17 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
You may find this thread interesting on the subject of painting.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...t=painting+red

It seems it is better to leave unpainted.I would strongly suggest you measure the voltage at the plug and as near the a/c as possible when running.As stated earlier low voltage will burn electric motors.
Should move up here.I spoke to a fellow this weekend who has owned his SOB trailer for thirty years and said he has used his a/c maybe three times.

Old 07-11-2005, 11:26 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg176
You may find this thread interesting on the subject of painting.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...t=painting+red

It seems it is better to leave unpainted.I would strongly suggest you measure the voltage at the plug and as near the a/c as possible when running.As stated earlier low voltage will burn electric motors.
Should move up here.I spoke to a fellow this weekend who has owned his SOB trailer for thirty years and said he has used his a/c maybe three times.
yeah but my question is, if it is a low voltage problem, what do i do to fix it? move? and Greg, i've already lived some place where i never needed air conditioning...i wanted to try something new! (besides, you can't imagine how little propane i use down here. oh, and get this: you can actually take a long shower because the water in the hot water heater NEVER cools down, and so that along with the solar heated water in the hose and VOILA! long, long showers!)

1997 E350
nettepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:30 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
I was sugessting checking the voltage at the plug andat the a/c to see if the is a voltage drop in your unit.That would suggest a repair in your unit if the drop was there.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:42 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg176
I was sugessting checking the voltage at the plug andat the a/c to see if the is a voltage drop in your unit.That would suggest a repair in your unit if the drop was there.
oh....the repair guys did check the voltage at the ac but not at the plug.
1997 E350
Old 07-11-2005, 11:51 PM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The repair guy is on crack. I mean honestly, thinking about it for a few minutes, do you really think Airstream or any other company could sell an item that would do this? I agree, if anything, it's cooler than a dark roof.

In addition, Andy from Inland and other said not to soak the roof down as the metals in the water over prolonged time will react with the alum. How true or false this is, I don't know, but I wouldn't want to find out.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:00 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
The repair guy is on crack. I mean honestly, thinking about it for a few minutes, do you really think Airstream or any other company could sell an item that would do this? I agree, if anything, it's cooler than a dark roof.

In addition, Andy from Inland and other said not to soak the roof down as the metals in the water over prolonged time will react with the alum. How true or false this is, I don't know, but I wouldn't want to find out.
haha, i don't think he was on crack BUT .... he did say spraying the top of the trailer with a hose once in a while would do no harm because "it does get rained on, right?"

anyway, i think he hates airstreams because they're harder to walk on and it looked to be pretty darn hot up there in 109 degrees! but, hell, it's hot on top of an SOB, too, so go figure.

the thing is, this guy was recommended by a park resident who was really happy with the work that had been done on his RV. i'm just a little fried that it's taken so long to get fixed.
1997 E350
Old 07-12-2005, 12:07 AM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Yea, crack was a bit harsh, and yes it does get rained on, but rain doesn't come through pipes (iron, copper, alum, etc). I suppose that's where the metals in the water might react over time if done regularly. FWIW, soaking your trailer once in a while seems a bit much, the unit should be the right size and even in direct sunlight and heat, it should keep it cool (usually without breaking down).

Lots of places complain about working on Airstreams, the fact is that they do have a special shell and unique things, but typically I don't see them being any harder to work on than an SOB since they use some of the same parts other RVs have.

To compare, I've had our Safari in 98 degree heat, direct sunlight, no wind (and no water sprayed on the roof). The 15k BTU A/C unit got the trailer darn near cold enough to hang meat....ask folks at last year's midwest rally. They could amost see their breath inside when the tours were being done.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:15 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Yea, crack was a bit harsh, and yes it does get rained on, but rain doesn't come through pipes (iron, copper, alum, etc). I suppose that's where the metals in the water might react over time if done regularly. FWIW, soaking your trailer once in a while seems a bit much, the unit should be the right size and even in direct sunlight and heat, it should keep it cool (usually without breaking down).

Lots of places complain about working on Airstreams, the fact is that they do have a special shell and unique things, but typically I don't see them being any harder to work on than an SOB since they use some of the same parts other RVs have.

To compare, I've had our Safari in 98 degree heat, direct sunlight, no wind (and no water sprayed on the roof). The 15k BTU A/C unit got the trailer darn near cold enough to hang meat....ask folks at last year's midwest rally. They could amost see their breath inside when the tours were being done.
i think he is just jealous because he's not a millionaire like the rest of us airstreamers .

actually, until the unit went down, it was keeping the trailer so cold you could hang meat in here. oh well, we'll see what happens when he comes out tomorrow.
1997 E350
Old 07-12-2005, 12:41 AM   #23
Troubs Roady Emeritas

1979 31' Excella 500
1974 27' Overlander
1974 27' Overlander
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via MSN to airstream6666 Send a message via Yahoo to airstream6666
Quote:
Originally Posted by nettepdx
actually, until the unit went down, it was keeping the trailer so cold you could hang meat in here.
My favorite AC switch setting meat locker (also the reason I switched from the Penguin AC unit to the 15k btu DuoTherm air conditioner).

I'm currently in East Texas (wrong time of year for this location, for sure), and I also had to deal with a few days of no AC (two weeks ago). I was something less than a happy camper, so I certainly do understand your problem.

Good luck with this.

seeya in the neighborhood,

Johnny
Old 07-12-2005, 12:47 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream6666
My favorite AC switch setting meat locker (also the reason I switched from the Penguin AC unit to the 15k btu DuoTherm air conditioner).

I'm currently in East Texas (wrong time of year for this location, for sure), and I also had to deal with a few days of no AC (two weeks ago). I was something less than a happy camper, so I certainly do understand your problem.

Good luck with this.

seeya in the neighborhood,

Johnny
thanks johnny for the good wishes. the meat locker setting was kind of fun - i liked wearing flannel pj's on an arizona summer night!

btw, it's supposed to be 111 here tomorrow. the repair guys are going to be cooking up there...if they even show up (i wouldn't )
1997 E350
Old 07-12-2005, 12:55 AM   #25
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I think what Don was suggesting was to put up your own shade. Get one of these portable shelters and keep your whole trailer in the shade. Gotta cool down the trailer by 15 degrees at least.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 02:52 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Good luck on getting your AC fixed today! Sounds like you have gotten a lot of good advice. I am gonna get myself a voltage meter ASAP.

I like the "meat locker" setting too, but my DW usually overrules it!
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 04:58 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Hughes Autoformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettepdx
yeah but my question is, if it is a low voltage problem, what do i do to fix it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Their website
Hughes Autoformers are designed to increase voltage to your RV and help eliminate low voltage damage to your appliances...Appliance failure can be costly, as well as frustrating & inconvenient. Many AC motors burn out due to higher than rated current draw caused by low voltage. This wasted current could be better used to operate another appliance at the same time the AC is being used. With low voltage you generally can't run anything else without risk of damage.
I have never used this product, but it is a sound operating principle. You can read more here.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 05:53 AM   #28
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
annette

there is another way to deal with low voltage at the park, move somewhere else! and tell management why you are leaving!

short of that, tom's suggestion is the second best.

when your tech finishes repairing your ac, have him check the voltage with the ac running. this will give you an accurate assessment of the condition of the parks wiring.

who knows, it may not be the parks fault. it may be a problem at the utility level. (we never screw up, yeah right!)

what are your nieghbors doing? are they getting ac units repaired more than normal? are they using auto transformers?

john