Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2005, 11:07 PM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Yea, crack was a bit harsh, and yes it does get rained on, but rain doesn't come through pipes (iron, copper, alum, etc). I suppose that's where the metals in the water might react over time if done regularly. FWIW, soaking your trailer once in a while seems a bit much, the unit should be the right size and even in direct sunlight and heat, it should keep it cool (usually without breaking down).

Lots of places complain about working on Airstreams, the fact is that they do have a special shell and unique things, but typically I don't see them being any harder to work on than an SOB since they use some of the same parts other RVs have.

To compare, I've had our Safari in 98 degree heat, direct sunlight, no wind (and no water sprayed on the roof). The 15k BTU A/C unit got the trailer darn near cold enough to hang meat....ask folks at last year's midwest rally. They could amost see their breath inside when the tours were being done.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:15 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Yea, crack was a bit harsh, and yes it does get rained on, but rain doesn't come through pipes (iron, copper, alum, etc). I suppose that's where the metals in the water might react over time if done regularly. FWIW, soaking your trailer once in a while seems a bit much, the unit should be the right size and even in direct sunlight and heat, it should keep it cool (usually without breaking down).

Lots of places complain about working on Airstreams, the fact is that they do have a special shell and unique things, but typically I don't see them being any harder to work on than an SOB since they use some of the same parts other RVs have.

To compare, I've had our Safari in 98 degree heat, direct sunlight, no wind (and no water sprayed on the roof). The 15k BTU A/C unit got the trailer darn near cold enough to hang meat....ask folks at last year's midwest rally. They could amost see their breath inside when the tours were being done.
i think he is just jealous because he's not a millionaire like the rest of us airstreamers .

actually, until the unit went down, it was keeping the trailer so cold you could hang meat in here. oh well, we'll see what happens when he comes out tomorrow.
1997 E350
nettepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:41 PM   #23
Troubs Roady Emeritas

1979 31' Excella 500
1974 27' Overlander
1974 27' Overlander
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via MSN to airstream6666 Send a message via Yahoo to airstream6666
Quote:
Originally Posted by nettepdx
actually, until the unit went down, it was keeping the trailer so cold you could hang meat in here.
My favorite AC switch setting — meat locker (also the reason I switched from the Penguin AC unit to the 15k btu DuoTherm air conditioner).

I'm currently in East Texas (wrong time of year for this location, for sure), and I also had to deal with a few days of no AC (two weeks ago). I was something less than a happy camper, so I certainly do understand your problem.

Good luck with this.

seeya in the neighborhood,

— Johnny
airstream6666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:47 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream6666
My favorite AC switch setting — meat locker (also the reason I switched from the Penguin AC unit to the 15k btu DuoTherm air conditioner).

I'm currently in East Texas (wrong time of year for this location, for sure), and I also had to deal with a few days of no AC (two weeks ago). I was something less than a happy camper, so I certainly do understand your problem.

Good luck with this.

seeya in the neighborhood,

— Johnny
thanks johnny for the good wishes. the meat locker setting was kind of fun - i liked wearing flannel pj's on an arizona summer night!

btw, it's supposed to be 111 here tomorrow. the repair guys are going to be cooking up there...if they even show up (i wouldn't )
1997 E350
nettepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:55 PM   #25
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I think what Don was suggesting was to put up your own shade. Get one of these portable shelters and keep your whole trailer in the shade. Gotta cool down the trailer by 15 degrees at least.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 01:52 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Good luck on getting your AC fixed today! Sounds like you have gotten a lot of good advice. I am gonna get myself a voltage meter ASAP.

I like the "meat locker" setting too, but my DW usually overrules it!
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 03:58 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Hughes Autoformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettepdx
yeah but my question is, if it is a low voltage problem, what do i do to fix it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Their website
Hughes Autoformers are designed to increase voltage to your RV and help eliminate low voltage damage to your appliances...Appliance failure can be costly, as well as frustrating & inconvenient. Many AC motors burn out due to higher than rated current draw caused by low voltage. This wasted current could be better used to operate another appliance at the same time the AC is being used. With low voltage you generally can't run anything else without risk of damage.
I have never used this product, but it is a sound operating principle. You can read more here.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 04:53 AM   #28
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
annette

there is another way to deal with low voltage at the park, move somewhere else! and tell management why you are leaving!

short of that, tom's suggestion is the second best.

when your tech finishes repairing your ac, have him check the voltage with the ac running. this will give you an accurate assessment of the condition of the parks wiring.

who knows, it may not be the parks fault. it may be a problem at the utility level. (we never screw up, yeah right!)

what are your nieghbors doing? are they getting ac units repaired more than normal? are they using auto transformers?

john
Old 07-12-2005, 06:24 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
annette,
your only option, if you have a low voltage condition, is to not run your a/c low voltage will cause your machine to work harder pulling more amps creating heat which in turn causes the insulation on the compressor motor windings to melt, and short out. then you are toast...if the tech does not properly clean out the system- burnt insulation reacts with the refrigerant, and becomes acid, which will attack the windings in the new compressor-you will wind up with another failure....keep us posted as to what service was performed and parts used.
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 06:27 AM   #30
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Annette,

I have a Hughes autoformer that I use in the park where I live in in southeast Georgia. It's in boost mode almost all of the time, and almost always at night when everybody comes home and turns the A/C on. The big problems here happen when two or three SOB buses arrive with three air conditioners and think they can run them all from the park's supply. Ploosh! There goes the juice.

I got the autoformer to protect my vintage Armstrong A/C, which is much happier at 115 V than it was at 105. I just looked, and at 8:30 AM it's already in boost. Geez, it's 74 degrees out there -- I oughta open the windows.

Lamar
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:47 AM   #31

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
— Johnny
Just an FYI there is a 15K Penguin available now. I think they finally started producing them in 2002 or 2003.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:04 AM   #32
Troubs Roady Emeritas

1979 31' Excella 500
1974 27' Overlander
1974 27' Overlander
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via MSN to airstream6666 Send a message via Yahoo to airstream6666
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Just an FYI there is a 15K Penguin available now. I think they finally started producing them in 2002 or 2003.

Jack
Hi Jack,

Yep, there sure is... and was, even when I installed my unit all of two years ago.

Sadly, it was (and is) only available for a ducted air conditioner.

Thanks, anyway, for the gracious assistance.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:17 AM   #33

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Hi Jack,

Yep, there sure is... and was, even when I installed my unit all of two years ago.

Sadly, it was (and is) only available for a ducted air conditioner.

Thanks, anyway, for the gracious assistance.
Johnny,

Another FYI, the 15K Penguin available today doesn't require ducts. I've got one in my Classic which was built in October 2003.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-12-2005, 11:27 AM   #34
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Johnny,

Another FYI, the 15K Penguin available today doesn't require ducts. I've got one in my Classic which was built in October 2003.

Jack
Me too on our Safari build date 12/03.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:35 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Vancouver , Washington
I don't know about "too shiny for the desert", but I sure hate washing the Bambi on a sunny day! Gotta wear shades and I can still hardly look at what I'm doing!
erik.ness@hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:37 PM   #36
Troubs Roady Emeritas

1979 31' Excella 500
1974 27' Overlander
1974 27' Overlander
Livingston , Texas
Jack and "Silvertwinkie",

Quote:
Johnny,

Jack
So very sorry. I was going by the Dometic catalog (current), Dometic web site (verified today), and FTF statements by the AS service manager (as recently as last November).

Thanks for the correction.

I will replace my unit with the 15k Penguin immediately. Anyone interested in a two-year-old, non-ducted DuoTherm 15,000 btu unit? It's never been raced.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:42 PM   #37
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
I will replace my unit with the 15k Penguin immediately. Anyone interested in a two-year-old, non-ducted DuoTherm 15,000 btu unit? It's never been raced.

Old 07-12-2005, 01:25 PM   #38
Troubs Roady Emeritas

1979 31' Excella 500
1974 27' Overlander
1974 27' Overlander
Livingston , Texas
Silvertwinkie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
So pleased to entertain.

The offer is serious, though. Despite the bigger numbers for performance and efficiency for the Brisk Air High Efficiency unit, I will be looking to swap AC units as soon as I am able — provided that the 15k Penguin unit is able to use an install shield available for my AS model and use the AS inner condensate drain path.

The big minus of non-Penguin installs is the inability to use the AS drain path. I just don't like having the condensate run off the exterior of the AS.

I was willing to buy the 15k Penguin in 2003, was willing to replace the one-year-old unit in 2004, and am certainly happy to replace it in 2005. Airstream factory service said (repeatedly) "no way," Camping World said "not available," and the Dometic phone service center said "nope."

If the unit is now available for aftermarket installation, then I am there.

The Dometic factory service center is no longer taking voice calls (as of fifteen minutes ago) and the recording only offers menus to locate factory-authorized service locations. Camping World still says not available (as of 10 minutes ago), but they usually know much less than the catalog.

I haven't tried calling AS factory service yet. I know already that the factory installers install stuff that is not (yet?) available for aftermarket. The factory service folks are separate from (several hundred yards away, in a different building) the factory installers — and typically find out about new features/equipment after it comes in for factory service.

And I was serious about one other thing — the unit really has never been raced.

*grin*
Old 07-12-2005, 02:56 PM   #39

Fenton , Missouri
Johnny, I would think that the factory service center can fix you up on this. I'm not sure of what it will cost you though. $$$ I'm not sure if the 15K ductless unit was developed as a natural evolution of the product or whether Airstream had some influence here. I do know that the 13.5K Penguin AC units were marginal on any trailer 27 ft and up once you got above 95 degrees in sunny areas. Once you got into the 34' size the 13.5K unit was pretty stressed.

That Brisk-Air unit that you own is a real workhorse. I had a 13.5K unit on my 28' SOB and it did a great job.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-12-2005, 02:59 PM   #40
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Guys, if Annette likes her current park and wants to stay, could a simple solution be as simple as moving to another site? I am definately a dummy when it comes to anything electrical but if she is at the end of a loop or run or whatever and there is a line drop or there are more units on her circuit than optimal might she be getting less than she needs? If she were closer to the main transformer might she get more or cleaner A/C that might provide better voltage? If this is the case, the park owner might have a space that would work better. I mean if the line she is own is taxed to the max and everybody's compressor comes on at the same time it is putting a drain on the fuse or breaker box to begin with and the park owner would be better off to allow the move. The owner might not even know if there is an overload on her particular circuit. Maybe I'm totally off.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote