Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Wentzville , Missouri
To duct or not to duct!

I am getting ready to start putting the cloud back together so I have been shopping for the last few and most costly parts. One thing I need is a furnace. Since the cloud is a total rebuild I can use almost any furnace I want. I have read almost all the post in here and I think I can get by with a 18k btu since I am going to add the heat strip to the a/c.

My question as the title says..........should I duct it? At 21 feet it seems like I can get by with a front discharge set-up, I wonder.......will I need a thermostat? The unit I am looking at now is the Atwood model 18K BTU RV Trailer Furnace 7920 Hydro Flame. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about these heaters?
Old 08-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If you want even heat, ducting is good. I have no idea of your floorplan, but a duct to the bathroom area, one to seating (dinette or whatever), and depending on your desires for a cold or warm bedroom area, a duct or not.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
We are very happy with our Tankless WH/Furnace combo

We have a Precision Twin Temp, I think it is called. It is a tankless water heater and furnace combo......if you have water hookup, you have endless hot water (as long as you have propane) and it heats our 28 foot as well. We have an AC with a heat boost but we hardly need it....the Twin Temp does a great job.....uwe and Lewster recommended..........paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
What's the downside to ducting? Is it a model choice issue? I'm a summer camper so my experience with heaters is the electric variety.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, my Safari has three furnace ducts, one in the livingroom, one in the bedroom and one in the bathroom. This seems to cover all bases. I don't think I would ever need or want more or less.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:38 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Wentzville , Missouri
The layout will be pretty close to the factory plan except the curb side will not get the closets put back in. My plan is to put the water heater,furnace,and power box/converter all on the street side. the refer will go curb side. We are going to use the origanl stove in its origanl spot which put the furnace to the rear of the stove from fron to back. I just cant seem to find a way to run duct past the stove to reach the dinnete. I am also wondering how to run one into and past the bathroom without being able to see the duct work. My SOB have the duct wok run down the center and under the floor. I would not think that would be a good option in the cloud. In the end there will be only the walls around the bathroom so it will be a very open floor plan.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Are you panning to heat the water tank(s)? If you never boondock in the colder seasons, you can rely on a heat strip since you'd have 120 v., otherwise you'd have to run a generator all night or take a chance. Running a duct by the tank(s) will get it past the stove I guess.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Wentzville , Missouri
My fresh water tank will be under one of the dinnete benches and I am using the shower,head and black tank combo pan in the bathroom. Only my grey water tank will be under the belly at this point. How close to the wall do the old stoves sit? I wonder if I can sneak a run behind the stove on the floor. I guess sending a run into the bathroom would be easy but I would need to figure out a way to keep the shower water out of the vent, getting the vent back out of the bathroom would be much more of a problem.
Most of my cold weather camping is done durring deer season and the wife has a 45 degree rule..........if its under 45 she aint going! When deer season is going strong in cold weather my SOB has already been winterized so I just carry two, five gallon things of water and dont use any holding tanks.