Old 06-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Question Thinking of going Dual A/C

So... after our first outing in the great Texas heat. Im thinking I want to go to dual A/C's. Im thinking of installing a 15 BTU in the main and a 13.5 in the bedrooom area of our 1993 29' foot Excella. The reasoning for this is of course to fight the mid day heat in Texas and also so that if we were miles and miles away from home and one A/C failed we would have a back up so that our vacation wasnt totally destroyed due to failure of cooling.

Questions.... Has anyone done this already?

Were you glad you done it?

Were in the Houston-Beamount area are realiable for AS work and have good after service? I read about a company called PPL? Need that broken down for me... Website phone number?

What brand of A/C today is reliable?

Any comments, information, thoughts, are welcome.

Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:01 PM   #2

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
We did it...our bedroom is small and the hall creates a dual zone area...as I type this...the 13.5 in the front is working hard...the 11 k btu in the back has the bedroom chilly and the AC is cycling off and on.

I suggest the smallest size AC available for the rear...otherwise it short cycles and the temp swings...bed covers off...bed covers on...bed covers off...not much sleep....

On edit...Dometic penguin from ppl motorhomes....I did the install...can point you to the thread if ya need...

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
We owned a 34 Classic with slide-out, which had two AC units. The reason we bought it was (at the time) we had two teenagers and we needed a LOT of space (it's all good). Anyway, it worked well. It did require 50 amp service. Keeping in mind that AC units are only designed to get the temperature down 20 degrees from outside - if I remember correctly, they are not miracle workers.

Your other choice, I suppose, is getting out of Dodge.
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
We did it...our bedroom is small and the hall creates a dual zone area...as I type this...the 13.5 in the front is working hard...the 11 k btu in the back has the bedroom chilly and the AC is cycling off and on.

I suggest the smallest size AC available for the rear...otherwise it short cycles and the temp swings...bed covers off...bed covers on...bed covers off...not much sleep....
I was just reading your thread of your A/C install on your 34er', You have an external outlet for the rear A/C? I guess Im not understanding how your run power for the A/C....If your at a park with one plug in for the main service line 30amp for the AS itself, were does the power source come from for the secondary A/C? Forgive me overcomplicating a simple matter
Old 06-03-2011, 10:17 PM   #5

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I use a 50A to dual 30A adaptor when we have 50A service. One 30 for the trailer and the other for the rear AC. Thats how we are running tonight. Otherwise we use the 30 amp AND the 15/20 amp that most campgrounds have...

Yes, we have had a couple of places that only had a single 30amp outlet...in those cases there is no way to run 2 AC's anyway

I know if we end up at some site that only has a 20 amp plug...I can run the rear AC...
Old 06-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Gotcha!

Quote:
I use a 50A to dual 30A adaptor when we have 50A service. One 30 for the trailer and the other for the rear AC. Thats how we are running tonight. Otherwise we use the 30 amp AND the 15/20 amp that most campgrounds have...

Yes, we have had a couple of places that only had a single 30amp outlet...in those cases there is no way to run 2 AC's anyway

I know if we end up at some site that only has a 20 amp plug...I can run the rear AC...
Gotcha!.......Now I understand! I was wondering how you were running that system now it all makes since. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

We got to do something, at night we have no problem our little A/C will freeze us out but during the hottest part of the day its so hot.

I wouldnt wanna run them both at night, that why I was saying to bigger units.
My plan would be to run them both for faster cool downs when we setup and during the heat of the day. At night we would only run the main unit.
By having the two bigger units 15 and 13.5, if while on a vacation and one failed it wouldnt be the end of the trip we could limp on with one unit. These are just my thoughts, I understand what you mean by them battling each other if I run them both at night off, on, off, on.
I just need them for failure and hottest parts of the day.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:38 PM   #7

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
The only 2 things I'm not happy with on my rear AC install...this version of AC does not allow me to force the fan to stay on...when it does cycle on...the fan kicks on as well as the compressor...the sudden change in noise level wakes us up...(I'm gonna redo the internal wiring so the fan is ON when I turn the thing on)

Item 2...use a 1/2" drain tube...I've had a couple of high humidity nights (tonight...) where the 3/8 condensate overflows onto the bed
Old 06-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Thanks

Quote:
The only 2 things I'm not happy with on my rear AC install...this version of AC does not allow me to force the fan to stay on...when it does cycle on...the fan kicks on as well as the compressor...the sudden change in noise level wakes us up...(I'm gonna redo the internal wiring so the fan is ON when I turn the thing on)

Item 2...use a 1/2" drain tube...I've had a couple of high humidity nights (tonight...) where the 3/8 condensate overflows onto the bed
Thanks for the info and the heads up. Ill be doing my homework for awhile until I find out for sure what I will go with. I appreciate your input. We got to do something to be able to travel in the south as Mrs. S loves the beaches and I plan to take her there but I refuse to be without my comfort.

If were were in Flordia at the beach and our A/C crashed, Id be on my way home....she wouldnt be happy.
I will prolly replace our current unit since its nearly 20 years old and install a secondary in the bedroom. Sounds good anyway. New A/C.
Prolly will have it done in July if possible since I wont travel much in the heat, unless we decide to go far North.

Anyhoo Im rambleing, thanks for clearing things up for me.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Come here to Minnesota - June is 70's day and 50's night. Bring a blanket and leave the A/C in Texas. Just get back before the snow covers everything.

Otherwise, would it be possible to partition off the portion of the trailer where you sleep, or eat, somehow, so you could get by with one A/C unit? Or could your backup unit be one of the portable residential units I've seen somewhere?

doug k
Old 06-04-2011, 06:48 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Partitons

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Come here to Minnesota - June is 70's day and 50's night. Bring a blanket and leave the A/C in Texas. Just get back before the snow covers everything.

Otherwise, would it be possible to partition off the portion of the trailer where you sleep, or eat, somehow, so you could get by with one A/C unit? Or could your backup unit be one of the portable residential units I've seen somewhere?

doug k
Sounds like i just need to pack up and lock the house up and head for Minnesota! Those temps sound like a dream!
We do have a partition that will block off the bedroom during the day but still with that section blocked off it gets alittle warm inside. As far as portable units, I just dont know if we would have room to lug it around. There is no space in the bedroom. Except on the ceiling LOL. Thanks for your thoughts and input. We just might take you up on learning something about Minnesota. July sounds good!