Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2016, 06:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
The Woodlands , Texas
Thermostat upgrade

I replaced my furnace thermostat, Atwood Model HFH-2000 with a Hunter Model 42999B. It's a two wire system so I just connected one wire to W and the other to Rh with the jumper installed from Rh to Rc. When I power the airstream (via In Use switch) after having made the new thermostat connections, the furnace fuse blows. I reinstalled the old Atwood thermostat and all works great (except I rather have a digital). Tried to reinstall the new Hunter blowing the fuse again. Any Ideas how I can get it his new Hunter digital thermostat working?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
eberrobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
The original Atwood thermostats were made to handle the furnace current; your new digital one is probably not. I changed my thermostat and had to add an interposing relay, because it kept burning the contacts in the new stat.

That said, I have no idea why your fuse is blowing, but check for contact where the wires come through the wall.

There's also a toll free number in the manual: http://www.manualguru.com/hunter-fan...-manual/page-2
Old 02-16-2016, 08:01 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

The Woodlands , Texas
Thanks for the reply. I wired the new 42999b per the 2-wire heat only diagram on page 2 of the document you provided. I'm wondering why I really need (remove) the supplied jumper between Rh and Rc and if I changed the two wire connections to W and Rh? Anyway, I'll call Atwood. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 02-16-2016, 08:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Reinstall the original thermostat and buy a digital thermometer. Would be better than having to introducing a relay system to allow the new stat to work.

Other than visual display there is nothing the new stat will have to offer.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Reinstall the original thermostat and buy a digital thermometer. Would be better than having to introducing a relay system to allow the new stat to work.

Other than visual display there is nothing the new stat will have to offer.
Really. I "downgraded" from digitial to analog when the digital failed and I couldn't repair in the field.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:36 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

The Woodlands , Texas
Thermostat Replacement

Thanks all for your help. It's just sort of a challenge for me to figure out how to get this Hunter digital thermostat working. Still messing with it, I'll let you know how I make out.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Thermostat upgrade

I installed the same thermostat and didn't have any issues. I just connected the two wires and did not install a jumper. That said, a jumper may have already been in place. I can check the next time I'm at my camper. Also, I'm not sure what difference it would make since this is essentially just a switch supplying juice to the furnace, but my furnace is a Suburban.
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Another thought is that maybe there is something wrong with the thermostat itself, thereby causing your fuse to blow.
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote