Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Wichita , Kansas
Thermostat for Sport

I've got manual controls on my 22' Sport and am envious of those with a climate control center. Is there any way to add this to my Sport? There's a certain ease of being able to set a temperature to 70 and just let a thermostat do its magic.
tallen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Not really. Your air conditioner is set up for manual controls on the ceiling assembly, and would require a lot of modification, and likely a whole new air conditioner, in order to do this. Simple is good, remember, if the climate control center isn't there, it can't give you problems.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I don't know the Sport setup, but I can say that I am not impressed with the integrated climate control system on my FC 20. It is not even slightly intuitive, and setting it is not at all easy. I think you are better off with the separate thermostat controls you have, and wish mine were that way.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:36 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Wichita , Kansas
What about just replacing the gas furnace thermostat? Is it as simple as buying a digital thermostat from Home Depot and swapping them out?
tallen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:51 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallen5 View Post
What about just replacing the gas furnace thermostat? Is it as simple as buying a digital thermostat from Home Depot and swapping them out?
If you make sure to get a thermostat that runs on 12vDC.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:17 AM   #6
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Does the operational voltage matter? Aren't these mostly driven by an onboard 9v battery? From what I have seen the thermostat device simply controls a relay which is either open or closed. In this case its a switch where voltage matters not.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
You probably can convert your thermostat. I did it with our 2005 model with a Dometic AC. There is a new control box shoved up in the return air space of the AC. Then I had to run a new multi wire tstat wire from the AC to the old the old thermostat and a low voltage wire to the tstat location. The tstat now controls the AC, furnace and heat strip.

A phone call to Dometic was helpful in working out how to do it.
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
A digital thermostat really doesn't care about voltage, it a ts as an on and off switch. It shoukd have a pair of aa or aaa batteries as a memory/power source.