Old 07-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 23' Safari
eugene , Oregon
Thermostat for my suburban

Okay I held off as long as I could and so here goes. I have a 23 foot safari, 1978. Some previous owner replaced the thermostat but left the old one in place. I don't know if the wires to it have any voltage or not. I checked em and there doesn't seem to be any voltage. My service manual isn't specific about which circuit it was originally on. Maybe someone out there knows. I'd like to get rid of it. The furnace is on the pink wire. If that sheds any light on it. Much fun for your forth of july

Old 07-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by snkrichards View Post
Some previous owner replaced the thermostat but left the old one in place. I don't know if the wires to it have any voltage or not. I checked em and there doesn't seem to be any voltage.
I'm not following exactly what you want to do. To test the power to the wires, just test with a jumper light or a multi-meter. Sometimes a picture of what I'm trying to do, makes it easier for forum members to comment.

I hate loose wires hidden on my trailer by previous owners. I come along and reinstall a fuse or turn on a switch and things start messing up. The worst thing I fear is heating up a wire and starting a fire. I don't mind working behind a previous owner, I just want to be able to figure out what they did.

When I got my trailer, I found the previous owner didn't like the break away switch idea but he wanted to appear legal, so he removed a wall panel, disconnected the breakaway switch wires and put two wire nuts over the ends of the dead wires. I finally figured out what he did, but it took me awhile.

Ideally he would have at least left me a post-it note telling me what he did with a red arrow pointing at the panel area.

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:14 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1978 23' Safari
eugene , Oregon
yeah its kinda hard to explain. I think my multi meter is telling me the other end is diconnected somewhere I evidently haven't discovered yet. I do so hate to start cutting holes in the wall. ha ha
Old 07-05-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I might install a 12 volt battery charger with a flasher to the dead leads. Then I could test loose leads. Your problem is you don't find any loose leads on the power side . . . am I right? The flasher is a neat trick to track circuits from the hot side. Shop trick only though.

Might not want to try it with the radio or the television turned on.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:05 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
If the wires are thermostat wires you would find the other end around the heater. They would be control wires for the heater not the power for the fan and circuit board that would go back to a fuse panel. The A/C is controlled by the rotary knobs on the unit.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:39 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Are you wanting a thermostat? I accidentally ordered an extra one for my Suburban furnace. I would think it would work on yours.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1978 23' Safari
eugene , Oregon
No thanks for the thermo adwriter. I do appreciate it though. it looks like if I really want to find the wires I'll need to pull the furnace again. I'm kinda rententive in that I like to know where everything goes before I rip it out. Working on airstreams is like old guys who buy harleys but without the head trauma. Thanks again all for your thoughts.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #8
x

XXXX , XXXX
Power to the thermostat comes from the furnace itself. The pair of wires are like a loop power comes in to the thermostat from the furnace and once you slide the control lever to a higher temperature setting the contacts connect closing the circuit and power is sent back through the other wire to the furnace.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:24 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1978 23' Safari
eugene , Oregon
I'll tell ya what I think then. The thermostat isn't connected and its coming out. Thanks