Old 06-30-2005, 04:38 PM   #1
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
thermocouple replacement: nt-22

How tough a job is that? easy? hard? fughettaboudit??

I think mine needs replacement...its a real pain to light the pilot. It lights up right away w/ the reset button depressed, but it takes a dozen attempts (@60 seconds +) to get it to stay lit. once it does get going, it runs like a champ.

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 04:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Is the pilot burning strong enough? I had problems there (it's covered on my web site if you want to read about it).

The toughest part will be pulling the furnace out to replace it.

The second toughest part will be locating the right length thermocouple that mounts the way you need it too.

I've got a parts NT-22 from a '72 Airstream (courtesy of Sneakinup) sitting in the shop right now. I can take pictures of your potential task if it would help.

Start with lining up a source for a new thermocouple.

Let me know if I can help,
Tom

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 05:04 PM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
I have a part from that very same furnace.

Hmmm...I was under the impression that a "thermocouple" was a somewhat generic item. So I'll have to dig out the manual and find out if the correct spec is available.

the flame looks right to me in size and color and so forth. the unit was bench tested a year ago, and tuned up. it just gets more and more difficult to get it to light with each trip.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
I have a part from that very same furnace. ...
Yeah, I remember that thread, and I want that part back if you're done with it.

Just kidding.

The "guts" of the thermocouple is what "they" are still selling today. I don't recall, though, if there is a mounting flange welded on. Inland Andy has some parts available if you find something out of the ordinary.

Tom
Old 06-30-2005, 05:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
BTW, I don't plan to use the furnace again:

Oh no! no more IMAGE link

Click here for the joke.

Tom
Old 06-30-2005, 06:27 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Firth , Nebraska
Thermocouple is a thermocouple is a thermocouple. The diferences are in length and mounting.

I got mine from PPL in Texas . Did a google for Surburban rv furnace NT 22.
There is also a gasket to replace.

You do not have to remove the furnace case . The "works" heat chamber, come out of the case easily after turning off and disconecting the gas, disconecting the wiring, unlatchig the front and removing. Then there is a screw at the lower right to remove. Go to the outside and remove the vent cover ,four screws. That gives access to the vent cap adapter assy , comes off with two screws. Now the "works" or heat chamber can be slid out.

Good luck

Loren
Old 06-30-2005, 06:51 PM   #7
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
yep, I'm familiar with the removal process....done it. wondering mostly about the pain level of the thermocouple replacement itself.

I'll dig out the service manual, but I expect it to simply say, "remove thermocouple; attach replacement thermocouple". it may or may not be accompanied by an illegible diagram.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
..but I expect it to simply say, "remove thermocouple; attach replacement thermocouple". it may or may not be accompanied by an illegible diagram.
If you are adept enough to get the furnace out, you will have no trouble with the thermocouple replacement if you are fortunate enought to get a direct-replacement part.

Tom
Old 06-30-2005, 09:04 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Firth , Nebraska
Guess I was lucky enough to get a direct replacement.

After finding parts for automobiles that are 70 years old , the AS isn't too bad.

Loren
Old 07-01-2005, 09:40 AM   #10
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
If you are adept enough to get the furnace out, you will have no trouble with the thermocouple replacement if you are fortunate enought to get a direct-replacement part.

Tom
well, I checked the manual, and it says I not only have to take the furnace out, but I also have to take it apart. which also means that I'll have to put it back together, too.

a 70 year old car is one thing...a 30 year old A/S is another....but this is a Suburban furnace. there are no replacements available from the factory, or the numerous other suppliers I contacted the last time I needed a part. I'm hoping that in this case, thermocouple's being what they are, that a functional equivalent might be available. The manual says I need "88D-30". (aka: part #160527).

As long as we're on the subject, does anyone care to tell me how a thermocouple works? I know the end result: when its heated by the pilot, it keeps gas flowing from the safety valve; if the pilot goes out, it cools and somehow "tells" the safety valve to shut off the gas. But how does it actually accomplish this?
Old 07-01-2005, 11:42 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
In general

Quote:
...As long as we're on the subject, does anyone care to tell me how a thermocouple works? I know the end result: when its heated by the pilot, it keeps gas flowing from the safety valve; if the pilot goes out, it cools and somehow "tells" the safety valve to shut off the gas. But how does it actually accomplish this?
A thermocouple produces a charge when heated. The higher the heat, the higher the output. No shock hazard, though, as the output is measured in millivolts. But this voltage is enough to operate a shutoff valve in the controller.

Numbing detail on how the thermocouple produces a charge is available, but knowing it won't make your thermocouple any easier to replace.

Tom
Old 07-01-2005, 12:34 PM   #12
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
"numb" would better describe my current state of being. no need to make matters worse.

not looking to make it easier...at least not this way. Just my natural curiosity at work. let me guess: probably works the same way you get current from a potato, right? say, that gives me an idea...maybe I could just hookup the pilot to a spud.....heat the trailer, and make french-fries at the same time. hmmmm....