Old 06-06-2009, 10:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
The Wheel inside....

I havent thrown this one out on the table yet so here goes...The wheel (fan) inside the Ac in our unit tends to not want to start turning when we set the thermostat to ON...so we end up having to remove the cover and reach up inside and give it a push or pull rather to get it going...Can these things be oiled...or is there a way to get oil up in there? Thanks we are getting tired of taking the inside cover on and off.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawkerII View Post
I havent thrown this one out on the table yet so here goes...The wheel (fan) inside the Ac in our unit tends to not want to start turning when we set the thermostat to ON...so we end up having to remove the cover and reach up inside and give it a push or pull rather to get it going...Can these things be oiled...or is there a way to get oil up in there? Thanks we are getting tired of taking the inside cover on and off.
The fan motor bearings need "lubing," badly.

You can access it from the top.

Be careful when your on the roof. Wear rubber shoes.

Andy

Old 06-06-2009, 10:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Ok Andy when I get up there with my rubber shoes, What do I need to do...Take off the shroud? And down inside what is it I am looking for?
Old 06-06-2009, 10:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawkerII View Post
Ok Andy when I get up there with my rubber shoes, What do I need to do...Take off the shroud? And down inside what is it I am looking for?
You should find a couple of oil lube tubes. You may have to remove the motor though to get at them.

Those tubes go dirctly to the bearings.

It's not [possible to over lube, so use plenty of oil.

Andy
Old 06-07-2009, 06:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Ok...Then since it is Sunday, I will take the camera with me and I can take you along with me and we might can do a digital fix ok? Be right back! And Thanks again Andy and the rest of you out there. Also starting with our rainbow pictures during yesterdays storm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2250.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	81794   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2257.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	81795  

Old 06-07-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Ok I'm back a little bit more dirty-er...I removed the shroud-looked like it was painted white by hand. Slid it down to Angel to wash it off. (We are going to re-enforce it while it's down) Then exposed the AC unit itself (Lots of dirt) -Blew it off with high pressure- then removed the cover that is to the left of the motor just to look inside. There, was the 'Hamster' wheel with the center bar going to the motor...There were no visible 'lube tubes' that you mentioned...so we dribbled 3-1 oil at each end of it where the bearings are close...before we replace the shroud (which will be newly painted first, we will oil it again...seems to work better already. But we will know for sure when we go to turn it on and off later.......as a last note, about how much do these units new and used, cost to replace?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2261.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	364.4 KB
ID:	81801   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2263.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	371.8 KB
ID:	81802  

Old 06-07-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
That looks like the same unit I replaced earlier this year on my 75 TW. I installed a 13.5K Carrier Low Profile with the heat strip option. I bought mine from a place in Florida that sell on ebay. My total cost was just under $700 including the delivery. The new unit works great and the low profile looks good as well.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
That looks like the same unit I replaced earlier this year on my 75 TW. I installed a 13.5K Carrier Low Profile with the heat strip option. I bought mine from a place in Florida that sell on ebay. My total cost was just under $700 including the delivery. The new unit works great and the low profile looks good as well.
I bet it's a lot more efficient too!
Old 06-07-2009, 09:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
So far folks, we got the shroud re-painted with two coats of hiding white oil paint...then blew out most of the accumulated dirt and dust that been there for no telling how long. Applied plenty of oil and ran the AC most of the day until this pm. a squeak started and I knew I would be back up on top again tomorrow, this time to remove the motor and give it the 'Its either you or it's gonna be me, and its going to be me that wins this bout'. The wise reed bends with the wind...
Old 06-07-2009, 09:56 PM   #10
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
I bet it's a lot more efficient too!
Since my old unit leaked and had a bad compressor, that would be a big YES!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:42 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
I went back up there this morning, removed the shroud and proceeded to thouroghly lube everything going into that motor...there were no lube tubes to be seen, only a covered electric source going to the motor....it ran again for a while...without squeaking...then slowley lost power and came to a stop. went to go inside and reach up from below to spin the wheel and it is slightly hard to turn...so before I go back up on top......
Old 06-08-2009, 09:15 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I have replaced the blower motor in the Coleman (not original, but there when I got it) on my Trade Wind twice. Both replacement motors had oil ports, but the person where I got the second one told me that it was not unusual for the originals not to have them. If you do have to replace, see if you can find one with the ability to oil them periodically. Also, the guy I got the second one told me, "If the oil is not good enough to go in your car, don't use it on the AC."
Old 06-08-2009, 09:22 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
San Bernardino , California
Fan Motor

One of the things that I have found all too often is if you have a motor with oil ports it is usually mounted so the ports point straight down which defeat the whole perpose of having the oil ports to begin with.
Rick N
Old 06-08-2009, 10:08 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Called inland, Andy said to call 'Grainger' Grainger in Wichita Falls said to get the number and rpm off of it, I climbed up to see a number...the AC unit itself has a plate with serial no# and everything...And the Blower motor has some numbers on the side...but to see them you have to take the whole thing out. Ha!