Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Azle , Texas
Question the venerable Armstrong TAC 110

Hello Tinsel Town,
My first post and I'm so glad to be HOME !

OK, the AC on my unit is the venerable Armstrong TAC-110 series D. This workhorse is still alive and kicking after 40 years !! Now that's the America I knew and loved...quality unmatched ! AND I live in TEXAS so you know it get's really HOT, none of this 95 F stuff. We're talking 104 F here lately. But that old Armstrong keeps it Kool. I replaced the fan motor and fan blades about 14 years ago and they still give it a whirl !
Question... Is it normal for the air to be blowing colder from the front set of evaporator coils ??
The rear evaporator coils are blowing out warmer air. What, if anything, needs to get checked out??
Again, it's great to be here, amongst such kindred friends.
neerseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Have a certified Air Conditioning tech check the frion level on the rear unit. You may want them to check both units out. Cleaning the fins on the condenser won't bring back the cool but it is always better to have the units clean and fully charged for that hot, hot, HOT texas summer weather! Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Azle , Texas
HI,
I only have one AC unit. Are we on the same page? The question is referring to the front and rear evaporator coils on the single Armstrong unit. Forgive me if I didn't understand you correctly.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by neerseer View Post
Hello Tinsel Town,
My first post and I'm so glad to be HOME !

OK, the AC on my unit is the venerable Armstrong TAC-110 series D. This workhorse is still alive and kicking after 40 years !! Now that's the America I knew and loved...quality unmatched ! AND I live in TEXAS so you know it get's really HOT, none of this 95 F stuff. We're talking 104 F here lately. But that old Armstrong keeps it Kool. I replaced the fan motor and fan blades about 14 years ago and they still give it a whirl !
Question... Is it normal for the air to be blowing colder from the front set of evaporator coils ??
The rear evaporator coils are blowing out warmer air. What, if anything, needs to get checked out??
Again, it's great to be here, amongst such kindred friends.
Both coils should have the same temperature.

When the rear coil is colder than the front coil, that says the unit is over charged with Freon.

When the front coil is colder that the rear coil, that says the unit is low on Freon.

You need to have someone add R-22 to the unit.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
I apologize, I assumed your 31' trailer had two units. However still good advise posted to have it checked by a AC tech for cleaning and proper operation. Most RV service outlets have a tech on site that will be able to answer your needs. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:35 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Azle , Texas
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

When the rear coil is colder than the front coil, that says the unit is over charged with Freon.

When the front coil is colder that the rear coil, that says the unit is low on Freon.

Andy
Thank you and God bless Andy always...
Old 07-11-2009, 01:15 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Azle , Texas
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

Andy
Hi,
Could anyone give me a rough estimate of what it should cost to add some freon to my AC ?
Old 07-11-2009, 07:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Hi,
Could anyone give me a rough estimate of what it should cost to add some freon to my AC ?
If you took your trailer to a dealer, the cost should be less than $100.00, "IF" nothing else was done to the AC, and they were being honest.

Since your AC is cooling to some degree, then maybe it needs one pound of Freon, or so.

Freon 22 is expensive, but not out of sight.

Labor, one hour or less.

Andy
Old 07-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Azle , Texas
Thanks again Andy,
This all makes sense now, because a year or so ago I remember having a mobile RV repair guy come over and check my AC unit out. He said that the "head pressure" was a little high and released some freon. You are so right on in your assessment Andy, as usual. Ever since that day, though I was somewhat uncertain if it was related, the aforementioned condition existed.
I'm not so sure if I want to call him back for the recharge, but he has done other repairs on my trailer, and it's been good. We'll see...
Old 07-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks again Andy,
This all makes sense now, because a year or so ago I remember having a mobile RV repair guy come over and check my AC unit out. He said that the "head pressure" was a little high and released some freon. You are so right on in your assessment Andy, as usual. Ever since that day, though I was somewhat uncertain if it was related, the aforementioned condition existed.
I'm not so sure if I want to call him back for the recharge, but he has done other repairs on my trailer, and it's been good. We'll see...
Perhaps you can assist "your" repairman, with the following.

The compressor head pressure, should be 4 times the suction pressure. If the suction pressure is 75 psi, then the head pressure should be 300 psi. You can drop the head pressure just a tad, because of the compressors age and internal wear.

Next, have him stick a probe type AC thermometer in the center of the front and rear coils.

When the front and rear temperatures are the same, then tell him "STOP."

If he argues, send him away, as the info on all of the TAC-110 models, makes it very clear that both coils must have equal temperatures, which assures maximum performance.

Hope this helps you have a "cooler" summer.

Andy