Old 12-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1973 31' Sovereign
Santa Rosa , Texas
The gas system

Hello everyone,

I have completely gutted my 31' 1973 sovereign. Since I will be looking for all new electric appliances is it necessary to keep and maintain the gas system? I don't live in an area that gets cold and since I've had it we haven't used that system. Please advice, I want to make sure there is no rework later.

AirStream73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Having no propane system will work fine as long as you never move any farther North, or never try to sell the Airstream. I seriously doubt anyone would want to buy it without it.

Just my opinion.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
You could retain and cap off the main line below floor level.
The higher your expectations the fewer your options.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member
1973 31' Sovereign
Santa Rosa , Texas
My air steam has been converted to what I believe is 120 amp system. If I don't use the propane system for the water heater and maybe even the heating system, will the 120 amp system be able to run my fridge, lights, electric water heater, air conditioner, and anything else I'm required to run while camping? I want to make sure that I don't overload this electric system.

Thanks for responding

AirStream73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
It's pretty simple. Add up the amperage usage of your appliances and add some for safety and future tech stuff. If 120a is sufficient your good. If not you will need to add some. Make sure the wire gauge is up to it though. Remember the water heater is a big draw as is a hair dryer or toaster. Oh, don't forget a microwave if you have one.
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
No, I don't believe you have a "120 amp system". The original Airstream of that era had a 30 amp, 120 volt system. The largest RV systems even today are a 50 amp 120 volt system (actually two legs at 50 amps each, both 120 volts).

While a 50 amp, 120 volt system probably has barely enough capacity to run your trailer as an all electric unit, if you manage your use carefully, not all campgrounds have 50 amp outlets. If you are in one with only 30 amp service (real common) you will not have enough capacity.

Why the desire not to use propane? It works well, is very proven, allows you to dry camp (boondock) easily, and without it, you will make your Airstream very hard to sell.

You need to look very carefully at your plans for an all electric unit, and learn a lot more about how much power each device takes vs. the capacity of your system. I think (and hope) it will change your mind.

idroba is offline   Reply With Quote