Old 07-09-2019, 05:28 AM   #1
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
Austin , Texas
Rivet the $300.- second AC option

Dealers charge 2500.- to 3K for a second AC. If you cant do it yourself for around $1000.-, here is another cheaper (less effective and space hogging option)

Note: The exhaust hose in mounted to a thin piece of plywood, which is screwed to the window frame using existing screws (no permanent mods)

The longer the exhaust hose the more heat will remain in the trailer. You will need a drain hose and a separate 20 amp circuit.
Easy 10 minute removal for the winter month
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ac1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	316.5 KB
ID:	345893   Click image for larger version

Name:	ac2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	345894  

Name:	ac3.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	345895   Click image for larger version

Name:	ac4.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	462.8 KB
ID:	345896  

Name:	ac5.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	345897  

AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Not trying to poke at this post, which is clearly meant as a goodwill effort to share information, but I would like to point out a serious short-coming in the design of most of these stand-alone units:

The AC pictured in this post has a single hose coming out of it, which is the "exhaust." This hose carries the heated air away from the condenser coil. So where does that exhausted air start out? In the cabin. This unit does a great job of taking air that you have already spent money cooling, running it over the condenser coil, and then spewing it out into the environment. Now, if I am removing several cubic feet of air from my cabin every few seconds, either the trailer will implode (if sealed well enough), or replacement air is going to be drawn in from every leaky door and window seal in the trailer. That replacement air is as hot as the air outside the trailer.

So, sure, if you sit right in front of that portable AC unit, you will feel cool air pouring out of it, but step a few feet away, and you aren't going to notice the overall cabin getting any cooler, due to all that "replacement" air that is being drawn in.

Now, some (very few, it seems), of these portable units have two hoses, one that draws in ambient air from outside the trailer that it uses to run across the condenser coil, and then exhausts this (now, even warmer) air to the outside. This design is effectively more like a conventional air conditioner, be it a roof top unit, or a window unit. It allows the interior of the trailer to act like a closed system.

Belegedhel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I live in the southwest and have a 34 triple axle with a single 13.5K AC. I considered one of those portable ACs but the exhaust hose is cumbersome. I bought a Luma evaporative cooler which is very portable, plug and play, works well and has a 1 foot square footprint. By definition evaporative coolers work better in a low humidity evironment. ACs lower the humidity in the trailer. Evaporative coolers also act as a humidifier. I have only used this cooler a few times but so far am very satisfied. For $129 you can't go wrong. I also use it my home when I just want to cool a space rather than the whole house. I am not claiming this cooler cools colder than a portable AC but there is a significant difference. You could also add a scent to the cooler.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....sL._SY879_.jpg
Old 07-09-2019, 09:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
Agrees with my experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
Not trying to poke at this post, which is clearly meant as a goodwill effort to share information, but I would like to point out a serious short-coming in the design of most of these stand-alone units:

The AC pictured in this post has a single hose coming out of it, which is the "exhaust." This hose carries the heated air away from the condenser coil. So where does that exhausted air start out? In the cabin. This unit does a great job of taking air that you have already spent money cooling, running it over the condenser coil, and then spewing it out into the environment. Now, if I am removing several cubic feet of air from my cabin every few seconds, either the trailer will implode (if sealed well enough), or replacement air is going to be drawn in from every leaky door and window seal in the trailer. That replacement air is as hot as the air outside the trailer.

So, sure, if you sit right in front of that portable AC unit, you will feel cool air pouring out of it, but step a few feet away, and you aren't going to notice the overall cabin getting any cooler, due to all that "replacement" air that is being drawn in.

Now, some (very few, it seems), of these portable units have two hoses, one that draws in ambient air from outside the trailer that it uses to run across the condenser coil, and then exhausts this (now, even warmer) air to the outside. This design is effectively more like a conventional air conditioner, be it a roof top unit, or a window unit. It allows the interior of the trailer to act like a closed system.
I tried one of these single hose units in a vintage AS several years back and was very dissatisfied with the performance for the reasons mentioned above.
BambiTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:18 PM   #5
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
Austin , Texas
For the record, I used this set-up for 1 season a few years ago and have since installed a second roof AC/additional circuit on several trailers.

Did I ever say they are a good solution or very effective? No, in the contrary, I said the opposite.
The reason why I posted this hands on post, is to help people who may be looking for a quick cheap solution, like the person in this thread: (you will see several people suggested a portable unit, but nobody offered the know how for someone with less technical capabilities.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ud-197575.html

AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:34 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
My AC died last week and until I can get an appointment to get a replacement unit installed I had to come up with a temporary solution.

I had an LG portable unit in storage so I hauled it over to the AS and put it in the bathroom. Mind you, there currently is no conditioned air in my AS. I ran the exhaust hose up through the vent in the bathroom and wrapped reflectix around the exhaust hose to minimize the amount of heat coming off it. I also put reflectix in the skylight and one of the port windows in the lounge to cut down on the heat generated from direct sunlight (there's a lot).

Yesterday, the outside temp was 84 and the sun was beating down on the front of the AS but inside the temp was @ 69 degrees. (I have 2 dogs and I've always kept the temps lower - both for them and because I prefer much cooler temps. The LG has a 3 speed fan and on both medium and high it blows much more cool air than the Dometic unit ever did (it's also dramatically quieter).

Is this a viable permanent solution - absolutely not. However, it's doing an awesome job of cooling the AS for the time being (I'm full-timing so I need to keep the place comfortable for all of us).

andyherman is offline   Reply With Quote