Old 06-22-2006, 08:38 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

birmingham , england
surburban nt-34sp help needed

hallo from england, can anyone please help. I have a surburban nt-34 SP it is less then 3 years old with a new dsi board fitted. i have too new battries fitted . My First problem is this. when I switched on the furnace it started up fine but before it reached full temp it would switch off. when I took the front off of the thermostat the rod that connects when when you switch on was not disconnecting so would not relight without switching the thermostat off and on again. Now when i switch the furnace on it is sparking but not lighting can any one help?

Old 06-22-2006, 09:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
I'll give it a shot, brummie. Bear with me, though, I'm recalling this from distant memory. On mine, which is a Suburban DSI heater, there are two sensors, each with two terminals, and they are in direct contact with the tank itself, held in place by springs. These determine when the water is hot enough to shut off the gas, or to ignite. If memory serves, there is a tiny button directly in between the two terminals on the sensors, which I believe will reset them. Probably should make sure the power is off to the heater first. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago, and this seemed to solve it. You'll need something like a scratch awl or the like to press the button, since it is very small.

I'll try to find a little more information for you if I can.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:39 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

birmingham , england
surburban nt-34sp furnace

Hallo again, I just thought I would let you know the problem is geting the centrel heating to work.our power supply is 240 volts witch goe's through a transformer to make it 110 volts witch then go's to the 45amp converter witch was (new) last winter. the water heater is on the other side of my trailer and working ok and is not connected to the centrel heating furnace.I hope this helps
Old 06-22-2006, 10:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Aha. My bad. The word "furnace" in the original post somehow slipped past me Well, I hope someone on here is able to help you with that, in any case. Good luck!

Old 06-22-2006, 11:49 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

birmingham , england
thank you for very much for trying. some one has told me it may be the fan or the valve. i was hopeing someone out there may have had the same problem. I dont want to buy more parts yet as the engineer a so called (pro) said it was the dsi board so (brought a new one). Then he said it was the converter so (brought a new one). then he said it was the battarys so (brought too new ones). then he said it was the thermostat so guess what (brought a new one).still no joy and i wont be paying anymore callout fees and hourly rates to have someone guess what the problem is I could have done that Myself. I used to repair the old furnace but as it was over ten years old and the fact that they are used more in england made Me decide too get a new one. sadly we lost my dad shortly before the new furnace started playing up And i did not feel up to the job. I just wish now that i would have just got another new furnace and kept the other for spares it would have been cheaper than paying the so called (pro) anyway sorry to go on. Again any tips or ideas would be great.... best wishes Brummie
Old 06-22-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
No problem. It does sort of sound like a fan issue, but if the fan wasn't generating enough CFM's I wouldn't think it'd be able to trip the sail switch, since it needs enough volume to close the circuit to create the spark condition.

Sounds like a valve to me. Could also be a faulty thermocouple, too, if it was cutting off prematurely.

I do notice you indicated that it stopped igniting after you had removed and replaced the thermostat cover, so if that is acting up it could cause issues.

Probably not being much help, but there are a couple of different possibilities. Sounds like your (pro)'s approach was "hang them all to get the guilty."

Old 06-27-2006, 08:13 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

birmingham , england
hi again, i might try the valve it seems the only thing that has not been replaced i will keep you posted thanks Brummie
Old 06-27-2006, 08:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by brummie
hi again, i might try the valve it seems the only thing that has not been replaced i will keep you posted thanks Brummie
Please do!